$1,000 budget for integrated amp. Your choice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by progrocker, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Croft Line Integrated Amplifier. A hard wired tube lovers dream :)

I don't know how much they are in the States though.

I think about $1100

gojira likes this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ditto on Jolida for low-priced tube amp( or hybrid). I am enjoying their JD-102b with EL84 power tubes-25 watts. This is the same wonderful tube used in the old Fisher and Scott amps/receivers. My favorite tube type so far although I am also very fond of 2A3 in single ended amp with the Klipsch LaScala speaker. Too many choices-not enough time.

3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    Exactly. But maybe for once he needs to try something new.

4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

$1895 is the cheapest Croft available in the States.

6. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Slim pickings if you're adamant on a buying a new one, at a price no higher than $1,000.

7. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I'm with Beowulf on the Decware, and suggest the Tekton M-Lores to pair with it:
    http://www.tektondesign.com/lore-m.html

This is the perfect combo for a digital source.

raferx, utahusker and beowulf like this.
  8. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

10. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member Thread Starter

So far I'm really likin' the Decware/ Tekton combo. :love: The Decware/ Omega is intriguing also.

beowulf and rischa like this.
  11. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Also Zu makes good speakers that are very efficient, but unless you buy used they are a bit more expensive than the Tekton or Omega's offerings. If you have a set budget for speakers this will give you a nice set of perimeters that more people can chime in on.

The Decware is a very purist offering putting you in touch directly through the source to the speakers, therefore a good source and speakers are a must.

12. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I still have my pride and joy source component (Marantz Reference DV12-S1) to spin DVD-A's. Would luuuuuuv to lash that bad boy up to that Decware piece. Rock and Roll huchie-koo!! :pineapple:

beowulf likes this.
  13. danner

danner Forum Resident

Just wanted to drop in and thank you guys (and a few others in other threads) for recommending the RR2150. I got mine last week, and I love it.

bobfrombob likes this.
  14. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Good for you. You made a great choice at that price point.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

You've seen a CS300 used for a grand?

16. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

That's what I gave (1,200 usd), but it's was about five years ago. Market may have changed?

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

I guess still close. I just saw one on the Canadian Audiomart for 1500. I just always assumed they'd be so much more. I heard an X model and was really impressed.

18. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I'm a tad perplexed with this one, seems a bit haphazard.

My take..... is to choose the speakers you like the sound of first (before the amp), then get an amp that suits and works well with the speakers that you like the sound of.

gingerly likes this.
  19. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

Integrated? Probably look at a nice used Accuphase 202. Then ask yourself if some of these new integrateds will pass the test of time of 40 years usage. And, if the company, or parts, are still in existence.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I've heard nothing but good things on the Outlaw 2150. I little weird looking, but that's subjective. I'd also put in a vote for the Peachtree Nova65SE

22. TimM

TimM Senior Member

The Outlaw is a very good sounding receiver, especially at that price point. I don't claim it is a giant killer or any of that silly stuff, but if you are looking to get into that first level of quality amplification, say $500 - $1500 the 2150 deserves to be considered. I purchased the original Peachtree Nova but I quickly decided it was not quiet what I had in mind. I felt the Peachtree had a slightly harsh brittle top end which is the thing that bothers me most in music playback. I sampled other integrated amps in my system from Marantz, NAD and Cambridge Audio. Each cost more than the Outlaw, but it ended up being the one I liked best. I realize that if you gave that group of amps to 100 different people on this forum it might result in a five way tie. I should also say that I wish I would have checked out the Rega Brio which I have heard very good things about but never got to listen to. I also never heard the SE of the Peachtree that you mentioned. My original Peachtree is being used in my modest home theater set up now.

23. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I just set up a system in the living room of my new place and had the same dilemma. I bought the Marantz PM8005 and am quite happy with it. A little background, I have all vintage tube equipment in my main listening room and have for the past 20 years. Every time I have tried to move to a high end SS piece I have ended up returning it. I am unfortunately incurably hooked on the more lit up presentation of tubes through the mids and nearly every SS amp I have tried sounds unbearably dark to me. The Marantz is not tube like but it does throw a very nice big soundstage, has very nice controlled bass and extended highs. It doesn't have the open and projected middle range that tubes have but it has opened up nicely after a few weeks of use to the point that I would say it's pretty neutral and not dark. The phono stage is excellent also. It won't replace my Scott 222C or 299 in my main room but I listen to it daily and it is very good indeed. I'm getting old and lazy and wanted something with a remote so I wasn't constantly getting up to adjust volume and so forth. Speakers are KEF iq50 and Oppo BDP105 to listen off a USB hard drive to all my lossless files ripped from my collection. For a good sounding tube amp I also in the past have owned the Jolida FX 10 which did have the classic tube sound signature and is a steal at $600. The remote though was highly unresponsive and wonky so I actually ended up returning it. For sound alone though it was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.