1 month into vinyl, what I've learned*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Here's the problem, the Vandersteen 1c's aren't as nice as my Dahlquists, I'd have to move up to the 2ci's or 3a's to surpass what I have. Definitely not looking to spend 2500-5000 now. The Focals sounded really nice, and the price is right.

Down the line I may pick up a pair of 2's though, but we'll see. I'll post back if I pick them up

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I had mine set to 45 and put on a Joni Mitchell 33 lp, sounded like the Chipmunks tripping.

3. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Jeopardy - I'll pick 'Jersey' for $200. :winkgrin:

4. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

That was excactly what i thought as well. And then i bought a couple of records that sounded kind of bad. Bader than expected. I wasnt much into sound at all,but this was noticable,and not the way i was used to hear those particular albums at all. I googled it,and ended up here on this forum,and havent looked back :D
    I started reading about different pressings,and started looking for,and found some of the pressings that are "favoured" here on this forum. It was a big difference,and since then i have at least checked what copies to avoid,since some of the holy grails are very expencive,and you can get almost as good sounding records for less money.
    So,you are on here,you got into vinyl. This can only go one way :D

5. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

On vaca. Returning later this week. Be patient, b&b, I'll hook you up and get you spinning again. (I take one week a year) 99% sure given what I had him try, it's cantilever. Dave

6. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone else has added this but, collecting records is like being a heroin addict. As often as one kicks the habit, you turn a corner and run into a dealer once again falling yet again down the rabbit hole. I, the possessor of 25,000+ LP's know of what I speak.

Helom, LarryP, FashionBoy and 3 others like this.
  7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

I only need a few more records, then I'm done.

Said it many times myself. Mind, I don't have 25k, but just when I think I'm close to done there's a whole new rabbit hole to go down.

HiFi Guy and Helom like this.
  8. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I just bought ten records yesterday after going cold turkey for five days! I've got a monkey on my back - very definitely.

HiFi Guy and Tropehjelm like this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

I think you get a 5 day chip for that! Congrats! You can do this!

10. Bananas&blow

Enjoy your trip. Thank you for being willing to help.

11. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That this is really expensive, part voodoo, and a pain in the a**? :D

12. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

Since I am now starting to look up threads regarding best pressings for albums, I fear you might be right!

13. Tropehjelm

It can get expencive.
    But i read those threads just as much to see wich pressings to avoid. There are lots of good sounding vinyl out there,that sounds good enough for my system,and speakers who arent first pressings,or cost a lot.

14. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

True. If there's a reissue that's decent quality, then I'll usually go for that rather than an original and save a few pennies.

Tropehjelm likes this.
  15. Bananas&blow

Me too. If this site doesn't give a re-issue its blessing, I won't buy a re-issue. There is too good of a chance its crap.

16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

My hobby was collecting mostly secondhand with a few new LPs thrown in for good measure, unfortunately the secondhand vinyl market is dying a death over here! So now most of my purchases are new LPs and even that has slowed down to a trickle, as the stuff I want to get is not available and to buy it online is prohibitive. I can safely say my addiction is being taken away from me rather than me recovering on my own!

JG

17. Tropehjelm

I followed the advices,and reviews on here,and have bought the Tom Petty box,Neil Young box sets,Dylan Mono box,and lots of others. Saved me time,and money from seeking out originals :) Or i feel like lying when i put the words "saves me money",and "this forum" together. Haha
    Discovering this forum has cost me a lot :D
    But it sounds good

HiFi Guy and Solvethebox like this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Tom Petty and gradually acquiring the Neil Young Lp's are on my list too. As well as dire straits. I have a couple of Van Halen's left to go.

19. Tropehjelm

I can really recomand the Tom Petty Complete Studioalbums box set,and the Neil Young Official Releases box sets. They are amazing.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How do you know when an album gets the forums blessing?

Through the years opinions have increasingly became so varied and the forum so large that if I were a coming into it in the last 5 yrs I wouldnt be able to make heads or tails out of what advice to keep and which to toss concerning a given reissue. A big sullied mess imo.

21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I'm still alive. My best friend, who was both a record collector and a struggling heroin addict is dead. It wasn't the vinyl that killed him.

22. Bananas&blow

A lot of it has to do with the mastering engineers. The Hoffman's and Bernie's of the world seem to get it right just about every time. I finding plenty of quality re-issues, more than I can buy, so if there is a debatable quality issue I just stick with what I know will work.

23. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Beautiful setup, but the "old school" part of me always hates to see vents covered, even if only partially. Shouldn't be a problem, but that was the first thing I noticed!

24. Bananas&blow

Compared to a lot of the systems I see on this site, I consider mine rather modest. But I enjoy it. The amp is well ventilated and the iMac on top has never been an issue.

Kristofa likes this.
  25. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I've gotten to where if I see a remaster was done by grundman i won't give a second thought to quality and buy it. Thankfully he's doing a lot of remasters now including Pink Floyd

So far in my brief time in this hobby I've noticed one thing, a record can look spotless have no marks of any kind and STILL have pops n crackles. It's the most aggravating part of the hobby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.