$1 Universal Remote from the Dollar Tree

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, they are not being sold at retail prices as you thought. They are being dumped at a loss. Shipping, etc adds to the cost for sure. They were upwards of $20 a unit not that long ago.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nope, you're mistaken in terms of what they actually cost to make. A lot of this stuff is maybe 35 cents in quantity. There's nothing in stuff like remotes. Heck, the plastic molds and assembly are probably the single most complicated part of it. The technology and electronic parts are almost meaningless in terms of cost. It's not unusual for there to be a 10:1 ratio between the actual manufacturing cost and the wholesale cost. Even lower if it's a counterfeit.

When you see VCRs being sold for $39 at Walmart, you realize that at best, they cost $15 to make, $2 for packaging, $10 to the distributor, $5 more for shipping, then Walmart makes 10% profit. And the $15 manufacturing cost probably only works in quantities of 50,000+, all hinged on the backs of Asian workers making $5 a day. Not a great business model.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't think they are being dumped at a loss but dollar stores and close out places want you to believe that.

I think the $18.00 (more, actually) is profit for the retailer. Rent, salary and other expenses are significant. Around here when a store goes broke, the locks are changed and before the landlord can seize any assets they are obliged to post a notice on the door of the business explaining why and how much rent is owed. I've seen $8,000.00 a month and more in some places.

They have to sell those glasses for a $19.00 profit!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:confused: So why are we talking about cheap eye glasses in audio hardware again? :laugh:

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because my Foster Grant reading glasses never ever turn up in the Dollar Stores. And the models I wear are always $20 and up. I don't like the cheap ones at all, they are not the same imo. It's not just shopping center rents, sometimes the lenses and frames are better in the Walgreens endcap than at .99 Only stores.

6. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yes, but how else can we afford things now that everyone's only making $14.50 an hour?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.