10 Best UK albums of 1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Darn wiki's got it wrong again, or. :)

3. alexpop

4. alexpop

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned already. My top 4 are in order......after that, just listed favorites. In the case of Traffic, I think US versions of albums should count.

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
    The Kinks - Something Else
    Small Faces - s/t (Immediate)
    Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy (Heaven Is In Your Mind)...........prefer US version
    Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons............prefer UK version
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
    The Who - Sell Out
    The Yardbirds - Ltttle Games

Tristero and alexpop like this.
  6. alexpop

7. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Three not already mentioned -

Blossom Toes - We are ever so clean
    Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath
    Donovan - Sunshine Superman (UK LP issued June, 1967 including tracks from US versions of Sunshine Superman & Mellow Yellow)

zobalob likes this.
  8. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

Of these '40 Essential albums of 1967' (chosen by Robert Christgau and David Fricke for Rolling Stone magazine), 13 are British.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rs/albums1967-07.php

January:
    Donovan: Mellow Yellow
    The Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons

June:
    The Rolling Stones: Flowers
    The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Hollies: Evolution

August:
    Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

September:
    Procol Harum: Procol Harum
    The Kinks: Something Else by the Kinks
    Van Morrison: Blowin' Your Mind!

November:
    Cream: Disraeli Gears
    The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
    The Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

December:
    The Who: The Who Sell Out

I've not much of a fan of British music critics and their cheese and prog obsessions (I think that over the years it's actually effected our output), so I tend to look at the best-regarded Americans, even for UK stuff.

Note, I naturally include Van Morrison as he's from a protestant background in Northern Ireland. I say this as he tends to be called 'Irish', but course 'Ireland' is also the name of the island (which culturally effects his music along with various other influences). Van is known to be apolitical on sectarian matters, and has always been happy being called both British and Irish.

The Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request didn't make the list, but I love this observation from Christgau's complementary online capsule review: “Back in '67 men were men and rock groups were rock groups: the Beatles "long-awaited" Sgt. Pepper appeared only nine months after Revolver and was followed by Christmas's Magical Mystery Tour, and the Stones released three albums. “ Those were the days!

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Those were the days indeed.

10. alexpop

Stuck a TSOSS image up earlier in the thread. Irish/Greek band underrated.

11. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

A lot of posters seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that Donovan had an album called "Mellow Yellow" that was released in the UK in 1967. He didn't.
    See below...
    Agreed about the Blossom Toes album, still holds up today IMO.

12. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

"A lot of posters seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that Donovan had an album called "Mellow Yellow" that was released in the UK in 1967. He didn't."

That's a bit pedantic isn't it? It wasn't intended to be US-only, it was a contract problem that also effected the original Sunshine Superman. And the album is freely available to everyone now. In fact I found this thread looking for the best release on CD (sounds like it's a 90's pre-remaster one in mono).

Which Flowers is probably more of an issue regarding authenticity.

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

Lots of great discs. All great I reckon. One I haven't seen mentioned (probably missed it) is the first Fleetwood Mac album. It's way up on my list.

Bobby Sutliff

14. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

[
    The OPs statement was, "UK only. Your ten best albums from this year", since "Mellow Yellow" wasn't a 1967 UK release then I don't see why it's pedantic to draw attention to the fact.

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Flowers? isn't that a US Lp?

16. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

Not the drawing attention as such - it's a useful detail - just the idea that people are "labouring under a misapprehension", which seemed a bit harsh. I think people are entitled to see it as fitting the list, albeit with a footnote. It would certainly be pedantic to disclude it with a note don't you think? It was intended for UK release (which it got very belatedly), and I'm sure the OP really meant British-artists only, rather than released-in-UK only. I imagine a number of his British fans would have got hold of a copy in 67, esp as it came out in Jan.

17. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

It is, but it covers (amongst other things) tracks omitted from both the US and UK version of Between the Buttons. Whichever version of Between the Buttons you buy you can get Flowers too and have all the songs. That's why it's always sold over here too, for tracks like Ruby Tuesday.

As I say, they both need footnotes (ie that and Mellow Yellow, and Between the Buttons too for that matter). Or just take it all with a pinch of cheese.

18. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

1. Sgt Pepper's
    2. Magical Mystery Tour
    3. Are You Experienced-Hendrix (his breakthrough was in UK)
    4. Something Else-Kinks
    5. Disraeli Gears-Cream
    6. Satanic Majesties Request-Stones
    7. The Who Sell Out
    8. Sunshine Superman-Donovan
    9.Far Fr0m The Madding Crowd(soundtrack)-Richard Rodney Bennett
    10. The Family Way(soundtrack)-Paul McCartney

alexpop likes this.
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
    The Kinks - Something Else
    Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Gorilla
    The Hollies - Evolution
    The Who Sell Out
    Bee Gees 1st
    Donovan - Sunshine Superman (yes the stinkin' UK version)
    Easybeats - Good Friday
    Small Faces - S/T (Immediate)
    The Move - Move

20. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

I mean Flowers (or which Between the Buttons, ie in terms of the American perspective I quoted from!)

21. TJ Smith

TJ Smith Active Member

Not in any special order:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Bee Gee's - 1st
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Hollies - Evolution
    Kinks - Something Else
    The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
    Procol Harum - S/T
    Kaleidoscope - S/T (UK Band)
    Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
    The Doors - S/T

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Regarding your last sentence, it's highly unlikely that many of his British fans would have even been aware of the record's existence in 1967 and also back then it was extremely difficult to get hold of American releases as only a very few record shops dealt in imports ("One Stop" in South Molton Street in London was one IIRC).

23. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

I actually imagined his fans finding out via the music press/ fan press etc and sourcing copies direclty from the US, as people in America used to do for our UK-only releases. Perhaps even finding out via radio - 1967 was the year after all. Not millions of them no, just an amount of them during the year.

You are a bit of a stickler you know (no pun on your avatar).

24. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

What you suggest (regarding ordering records from the USA) wasn't really very easy to do, even for the uber-fan; you'd have to find a source first, deal with them by letter or telephone (very expensive), find an acceptable way of paying and then wait for the item to arrive, hoping that it would be in one piece when it eventually arrived. The easiest way was to find a UK shop that dealt in imports and buy from them, that's what I did, from London at first and later from an enterprising store here. Most of the time US albums were released over here a month or two or three after the US release date anyway so most people would just wait. "Mellow Yellow" however was different in that it wasn't released at all and three months after it's US release half of the thing was released as part of the UK "Sunshine Superman" as I'm sure you know. Some copies of the import would, you are right, have sold through "One Stop Records" at the time (as that was pretty much the only place in the UK selling import albums at that time, 1967 ish) though I shouldn't imagine there'd be very many. That's my view anyway and I'm "sticking" to it. :winkgrin:

25. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

I partly see your point but you do kind-of make 1967 sound like 1679! They could have taken it to the moon two years later.

I've always seen 1967 as the year that many people really began to crave and hear popular music like never before. I'm just weighing up the popularity of music at the time with what people would do to get hold of it I suppose, and given the choices they had to do it. If there was a decent 'demand' here (ie with Mellow Yellow? Maybe not) I find it hard not to see 'supply' being around at this time. Apart from the pre-existing record shops, other vibrant new ones would be opening up all the time - both of which could order lps per demand, perhaps in grouped orders from music distribution outlets etc - mail order being as old as freight itself. It could have happened a number of ways. People used to get hold of jazz and blues records somehow, many years earlier of course. But I myself wasn't there. Though I wish I was, at least for the music. I am old enough to remember my village having a little corner record shop with a black board that had the top singles and albums written with those little white plastic letters, which of course couldn't exist at all now. The industry was so huge they thought it would go on forever.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.