10 New ORG 45 RPM Classical titles mastered by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btf1980, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

London/Decca

Wow. This is a big treat for classical vinyl buffs. All 2LP 45RPM, cut by Bernie Grundman, ltd to 2500 copies worldwide.

June
    • London CS 6581
      Albeniz: Suite Espanola
      Rafael Fruhbeck De Burgos/New Philharmonia Orchestra
    July
    • London CS 6224
      Manuel de Falla: El Sombrero de tres picos (The Three-cornered Hat)
      Teresa Berganza [soprano]; Ernest Ansermet/L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
    • London CS 6006
      Rimsky-Korsakov: Cappricio Espangol, Op. 34 + Granados: Andaluza, Danza Espanola + Emmanuel Alexis Chabriere: Espana
      Ataulfo Argenta/London Symphony Orchestra
    • London CS 6191
      Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 56 'Scottish'
      Peter Maag/London Symphony Orchestra
    August
    • London 6001
      Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream
      Jennifer Vyvyan [soprano]; Marion Lowe [soprano]; Peter Maag/London Symphony Orchestra, Chorus of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
    September
    • London CS 6329
      Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor, Op. 15
      Clifford Curzon [piano]; George Szell/London Symphony Orchestra
    • London CS 6147
      Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe
      Pierre Monteux/London Symphony Orchestra, Chorus of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden [Douglas Robinson, chorus master]
    October
    • London 6337
      Bruch: Scottish Fantasia in E-flat major, Op. 46
      Paul Hindemith: Violin Concerto*
      David Oistrakh [violin]; Jascha Horenstein/London Symphony Orchestra
      Paul Hindemith/London Symphony Orchestra*
    • London 6252
      Herold: La Fille Mal Gardee (The Wayward Daughter)
      John Lanchbery/Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
    • London 6049
      Grieg: Incidental Music to Peer Gynt, Op. 23
      Oiven Fjeldstad/London Symphony Orchestra

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

That is a real solid list.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

These two are worth anyone getting:

London CS 6006
    Rimsky-Korsakov: Cappricio Espangol, Op. 34 + Granados: Andaluza, Danza Espanola + Emmanuel Alexis Chabriere: Espana
    Ataulfo Argenta/London Symphony Orchestra

London 6049
    Grieg: Incidental Music to Peer Gynt, Op. 23
    Oiven Fjeldstad/London Symphony Orchestra

Excellent performances.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed. I'll pick up all 10 titles. :agree:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hope they use the right curve when mastering these or you will end up with a thin, screechy mess like the last audiophile attempt.

Decca's have a SPECIAL EQ PLAYBACK CURVE that MUST be adhered to or it sounds like ****!

7. Were these titles all originally released on both the Decca (UK) and London (US) labels?

8. MylesAstor

MylesAstor New Member

I think so -but trying getting some of them now on Decca SXL. $700 for a Hindemith; 300+ for many of the other titles esp. ED1 releases. OTOH, I have the R2R Tape Project of the Hindemith and Albeniz and they are priceless-though the Albeniz tape is thin sounding like the Decca release. But Oistrakh is great though know quite a few that prefer Heifitz's performance of Scottish Fantasy's on RCA (both sound and performance).

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I will probably get all of these.

I have the Classic Gold CD of this Argenta and it is spectacular.

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Some great titles in there, the Hindemith/Oistrakh is a timeless performance. I wonder why ORG is switching from Pallas to RTI.

11. I'm curious why they'd reissue the London version rather than Decca, if both were possible, since the Decca is probably more collectible.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

UK Decca and US Decca were different companies, AFAIK. In other words, London Records was UK Decca. Different covers, yes, but same recordings.

To which attempt do you refer? Speakers Corner?

13. I had wondered the same thing. The "last audiophile attempt" (as in most recent) on Decca classical was Esoteric's SACDs.

Incidentally, I have one of the Speakers Corners Decca classical titles, Espana conducted by Argenta, and while I didn't have an original for comparison, it sounded thin, although not necessarily screechy.

14. MylesAstor

MylesAstor New Member

Not to get into a great debate but while London was the US subsidiary of Decca (I think it was because there was already a label with the Decca name in the US-and as EMI had to cover up its dog), the releases sound completely different. I know people claim they're the same issue but in most comparisons I've done, the Decca is clearly the superior sounding release. For some reason, it seems like Decca souped up the sound because they thought Americans liked a brighter sound.

15. MylesAstor

MylesAstor New Member

Espana can but it's not as thin as Suite Espanola. Whenever I've heard it, the Three Cornered Hat is near unlistenable eg ear bleed city. Some of the other early Deccas sound somewhat overly reverberant, I assume because they were using directional mikes (as on the operas) before they switched over.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I was referring to performances, not mastering. New 45's will be from original analog master tapes...so it reads.

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The Esoteric SACDs were not mastered from the analogue tapes, but from PCM copies provided by Universal. Same for the Universal Japan SACDs (Brahms piano concerto 1)

There were also XRCD reissues of some of the titles years ago, which I have not heard but which are said to sound rather harsh, as if the wrong EQ was used.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This further extinguishes my desire to spend big money on the Esoteric SACDs.

Any idea what sampling rate the PCM masters were at?

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

This was already discussed in other threads. Universal Classics have archived their analogue tapes in 24/96 PCM. These are the source of their CD reissues, most of their SACD reissues and of the Universal Japan SACDs.

Esoteric claims that Universal did new 24/96 transfers for them, but I doubt that since it would be illogical to make PCM transfers at such an "outdated" resolution for an audiophile SACD release.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5234077&postcount=117

20. MylesAstor

MylesAstor New Member

I think as were the LPs.

21. blue

blue Mastering rules

Sounds as if there would also have been a special playback curve to many Living Stereos ;) At least that would explain why some reissues sound like that...

But I'd also be interested which attempt for the London/Deccas you mean Steve...so far I just remember the Superanalogue and the Speakers Corner reissues and even if some are not especially great sounding, I don't remember the issues I have as extremely thin or an extreme mess...on the other hand I remember I strongly selected the SC titles I have, sold quite some again and dropped for example the "La Fille Mal Gardee" for the reason you described (and because I don't like the music)..

I look forward to the new 45 RPM Albeniz for example...hope it's done well by BG.

22. The_Rover

The_Rover Senior Member

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Finally, the first two titles -- Three-Cornered Hat (ORG 102) and EspaƱa (ORG 104) -- arrived today. Will spin later. Anyone else get these?

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I'm not positive.
    Steve has mentioned a quasi dolby NR trick.

25. blue

blue Mastering rules

What do you mean?

In the meantime I remembered, that there were also London reissues by Classic Records, right? Maybe Steve means those, as on most Speakers Corner I can hear no such problems. But it seems Steve avoids to tell exactly what he means, which I understand as he doesn't want to talk about colleagues.

Regarding the new ORG reissues, I'm also very interested and hope they don't sound like so many classical reissues by BG (bright, hard upper string, percussion and horn sound).

Regarding Dolby, I only remember that the Superanalogue issues were told to be based on dolby tapes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.