100+ CD Changers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeyP, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't had a CD player for a while, and would like to get something to complement my meager setup.
    I've been looking at 100-400 discharge changers.

Do you have any recommendations, or familiar with any pros & cons to a large changer system?

I would prefer to load them all up and not have to manage jewel cases and such.

2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Not sure if they make them anymore.

Would be better to rip your CD's to your computer.JRiver is the way if you're on Windows.Good luck.

MikeyP and Synthfreek like this.
  3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Mac Mini and a DAC connected to your setup.

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I had a 400 disk Sony. Keeping track of the disks (names and such) was a bear. Computer is a better tool for the job.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I did that throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, but finally gave up and went with a lossless server in 2005. Never looked back. Literally, the server and the first 2TB drive cost less than the Sony ES CD changer it replaced. I think it's nutty to cling to physical media in 2014.

Jrr and MikeyP like this.
  6. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Those changers are too big to be useful. And they break too easy.
    They do not have robust changing mechanisms. Plus they sound crummy.
    The changers which are bulletproof are the five disc changers. But NOT the cartridge type! ony the tray type,
    Buy the top of the range ones, used. They are pretty cheap.

7. MikeyP

I was afraid of that.
    I hate to have 500 CDs just sitting.
    My setup is vinyl oriented, and really don't want to deal with the CDs, but there are a lot with music I adore.

My records are enough to deal with. I'm wanting to reduce my media storage area and figured this would be the ideal route. Then I can dump the jewel cases and store the inserts only

8. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I have 2 301 disc Pioneer changers which I haven't used for awhile having gone over to a server and a Squeezebox Touch, but I found them both to be robust machines that provided many many years of problem-free heavy duty use. I used an outboard dac, but the inboard dac wasn't too shabby either. I kept track of the cds using a hard copy list of which cds were in each slot, and put the cd inserts in a large book-type cd holder with slots labeled to correspond with the player's slots. These machines provide pretty much the same experience as using a server - using "random play" was one of my favorite ways to listen, all kinds of programming was available ("best" lists, etc.), and no uploading cds to a server required.

9. MikeyP

I've been eyeballing used Pioneers on Craigslist. There seems to be an abundance of them for cheap. I know programming each CD in can be a pain, but once it's done it seems like an major convenience.

I don't want to upload and go straight digital file. I feel more secure knowing I have a hard copy as backup in case the files become corrupted.

If I get one or two and load them, is there any wear to the surfaces from the changers?
    Assuming I load in minty fresh CDs, will they still be defect free after 10 years in a changer?
    A few of them are irreplaceable and valuable, so it is essential to take care of them.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I have not noticed any surface wear but haven't done a close examination. No cd was ever damaged by the changers that I'm aware of. I had all of my cds in them before I uploaded them to a server (ran out of room about the time the Touch appeared) and there was no problem transferring them to the server.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Too bad you're in Texas. I have 200 disc Sony you could have gratis:cheers:

12. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

At the thrift stores I see these 200+ disc changers all the time. Because they are worthless.

I think you would be far better off ripping the discs to a laptop, putting them all in storage, and playing the music off the computer. I paid $150 for a used Macbook with optical output, which I run into my Denon receiver. A $50 hard drive will hold upwards of 1000 CDs ripped lossless. Simple and cheap.

chodad and MikeyP like this.
  13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You keep the CDs, you don't toss them :)

The minute you get to try out a digital server and tablet interface, you'll laugh to yourself at how antiquated using a 100+ disc changer really is.

Seriously, if you could try this out for 5 minutes, you'd never look back. Searching and music playback starts instantaneously. You will have a blast going through all those tracks and albums you haven't listened to in years.
    [​IMG]

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No consumer ones I trust with original discs. AMI/Rowe or other real jukebox changer better.

MikeyP likes this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

This is how I managed my old Sony 400. Along came iTunes and I never looked back. The delay between songs on random play was quite long and the carrousel is noisy while in transit.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I feel your pain.

Like others have suggested, I went the server route. So far it's been great.

17. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

the early 1986/1987 PIONEER magazine changer models (PD-M6/-M60/-M70/-M90X) are very ruggedly built,
    far more so than the later series of models, especially the 90's ones with nearly all-plastic changer mechanisms.

among those solidly-engineered early models, only the PD-M90X has a digital output (COAXIAL)
    so that is the only model even worth considering for those who cannot live with a vintage CDP's stock SQ.

now, the 1988 model line, (PD-M400/-M500/-M600/-M700/-M900) is quite rugged as well, though not quite as bulletproof (if well cared for)
    as the '86/'87 models. still, a gently-handled model from this line should be reliable enough, and for those that must have the outboard DAC option,
    both the PD-M700 and PD-M900 provide both OPTICAL and COAXIAL outputs...

MikeyP likes this.
  18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I once had two Sony 400-disc players that were linked to each other. I lost discs all the time and then I came to the point where I needed another one so I just put all the discs back in the cases and sold them off. The worst part was putting them back in cases when I moved.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They nick the sides of the cds with a small scratch. CDRs are fine .. Nothing valuable.

20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

MikeyP, listen to the above advice and forget the changer. Just rip the CDs. Then you can use them all over the place, and it is soooo much simpler to pick something out of a computer or tablet or laptop than fiddling around with a changer. You can make really custom playlists quickly, your discs won't get damaged, etc etc etc etc. You'll NEVER wish you had put all those discs in a changer.

If you still feel unsure, start another thread asking if someone inAustin will show you their setup.

MikeyP likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

I live near Anderson Mill & 183 and you're welcome to come over.

MikeyP likes this.
  22. MikeyP

OK, so for those of you that have uploaded CDs. What file creator/application did you use, and what type of file was the end product?

Do you have the laptop/tablet, etc dedicated, and permanently connected to your system?

23. Synthfreek

It can be as easy or as complicated as you make it. If I were one to ditch my CDs and not have a disc player I would probably go a more intricate way. I have a Mac Mini and I rip to Apple Lossless with iTunes using error correction. My Mac is integrated into my system and is sitting on my rack with the monitor. I usually just choose what I'm listening to by using the mouse and clicking away although I do occasionally use the Remote app on my iPhone. It enables one to navigate iTunes through your wi-fi/network connection. An iPad or tablet would be little more elegant.

overall.png

Quark, Vidiot, MikeyP and 1 other person like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly my experience as well.

I should add some free advice for anybody using these 300- or 400-disc players: do not attempt to move the players when they're fully loaded. This is a bad idea. Trust me, the discs will slide out of the carousel when you least expect it. This only happened to me once, and it was completely filled with CD-Rs (not originals), but still... it was a mess.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

those mega-changers truly are indeed pure crap, i wholeheartedly agree there.

it might seem illogical/strange, but i'm actually not a big fan of CD changers myself,
    always believing in the overall superiority of a single disc CDP, such as my PD-91,
    since most of the money has clearly gone in to performance rather than multi-disc mechanisms and gimmickry.

that said, i've always had a distinct fascination with the PIONEER 6-disc magazine changers.
    i've always found them a mechanically elegant, if overly complicated example of the finest of glorious Japanese bubble-economy-era engineering.
    and the more i found out about them, especially the better early models, the more i found to love.

indeed, i have long since procured a minty/complete -with full service manual, even- example of the very best model PIONEER ever made, the 1987 PD-M90X,
    and, while it is inferior in SQ to my PD-91, it is surprisingly listenable. moreover though, it is rugged M1 tank among CD changers.
    be reasonably gentle during it's magazine LOAD/UNLOAD cycles, and keep the changer mecha freshly lubricated,
    and the mechanism seems well nigh-indestructible;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLMusic, Dynamic Ranger and MikeyP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.