$100 RCM - Record Cleaning Machine ***

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markshan, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are mistaken. This unit is ready to go with an attached platter. The only thing you add is suction.

Trust me, I'm as cheap as they come, but this thing is well worth the money. I have no idea why you would buy a $100 Shop Vac. I showed a readily available and highly effective $20 unit in my review. It is just a few dollars more than a Spin Clean and vastly more effective.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I recently received my Squeaky Clean Mark III RCM and have cleaned some records with it. Very easy to use, but I need to spend more time with it before posting my opinion on it. I am using MOFI "Super Record Wash" as the cleaning fluid with a distilled water rinse. I also purchased an extra wand and cleaning brush so I could have one set to use with the fluid and one set to use for the rinse. So far I am impressed. The vacuum I am using on mine is a $25 Armor All brand unit.

Merrick and cat9 like this.
  3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I just ordered one of these cleaners and a shop-vac. I have too many dirty records at this point and neither the time nor the room to let them air dry if washed by hand. I think this will make for a solid, relatively inexpensive solution.

Mike .S. and patient_ot like this.
  4. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I got a custom red with a touch of black.......very impressed with this machine. The results are terrific.
    Great investment....and economical too!
    I actually enjoy cleaning.....kinda Zen!

[​IMG]

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

6. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

That looks slick. Pretty well-built? How much did you have to pay for it?

cat9 likes this.
  8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The entire kit is around $100 and the custom colors don't add any cost. Add a $20 shop-vac and you have the whole system, ready to go. I've been using one for a few months and while I don't have anything to compare it too, it does work well on LPs that need a little TLC. Nick is also great to work with, he was very fair on pricing when I ordered new pads and two color-coded arm wands. He threw in some other stuff too and all told I think it was around $25 USD shipped.

cat9, Merrick and patient_ot like this.
  9. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Being Canadian my number would throw things off but thankfully toddrhodes stepped in and gave you the skinny in US dollars.

10. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

He answered my question immediately. He was also playing Tom Waits Step Right Up in the background. How could I resist?

TheVU likes this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for chiming in, guys. I already bought a 3D printed 'wand' for a shop vac from him, and I am currently using that, but it obviously requires a bit more manual labor. I'd like to eventually get that setup. Could you please share a URL for it?

cat9 likes this.
  12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

13. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

i decided to take the plunge on it this morning. have been looking at it for awhile (since this thread was created) and finally decided what the heck. I was listening to king diamond last night (brand new record I cleaned with spin clean last week) and there were still pops every now and then. I hope I can clean it up with this! hearing those pops during the more ambient portions just drives me nuts!! almost like im waiting for the record to be done playing so I don't have to hear them anymore.

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I just got this this week and I can confirm "Nick is an awesome seller". He responds immediately and he threw in an extra brush wand for free. I like having one for cleaner and 1 for distilled water rinse . This is my first RCM so I unfortunately can't compare but it is a super cool product that makes a huge difference to my ears. I've only had 3 0r 4 records threw it but it radically cleaned up a 50s Gil Evans record original pressing and it's easy to use and relatively cheap. I will post again in a month or so when I have a better sense of it. Now we need Nick to 3D print something for 100 bucks that removes scratches!

15. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

Well. I think I will be selling my spin clean after using this. I had an excessively noisy elvis mono record that I cleaned and listened to, it was actually much quieter than before. The pops were not near as loud and actually nearly went away. Very pleased with this. I received mine very quickly from Canada!

16. onlysleeping

Recieved mine today. I had bought a shop vac over the weekend at Costco. The hose doesn't fit. I might try an adapter or just get a different shop vac.

17. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Which shop-vac did you get (link)? I wonder why a manufacturer would make a shop-vac that doesn't use a standard hose - it seems like that would add to the cost?

18. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unless he got one of those jumbo shop vacs, but I think that would be overkill for this application.

19. onlysleeping

It was this - Kubota Stainless Steel 4.0 HP 4 Gal Wet/Dry Shop VAC Garage Vacuum Cleaner. Probably overkill for this. I was at Costco and figured I'd get it for the arrival of the cleaner. I'll likely return it for a smaller unit from Home Depot. Its just barely too big, an adapter may work.

20. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I use the same 1 Hp unit that Nick's beta tester uses.
    Works like a charm. Plenty of power.
    I know a few guys who use 2 and 2.5 Hp units......more power is not necessary.

21. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

I have had one for a couple of months now, best thing I ever did
    [​IMG]

22. onlysleeping

Bought a Stinger 2.5 gallon 1.75 hp from home Depot. It connects and works great. Listening to a vinyl that I just cleaned and I can tell the difference.

23. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I got one a few months ago and i can attest that is is as good if not better than a VPI 16.5 that i used to use at a store that charged me $1 per record. This thing is amazing and i highly recommend it. Best money i ever spent for my growing collection. I have the same vac as the original poster has showed. If you are on the table about this, seriously get it.

markshan likes this.
  24. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

I'm excited to order mine soon. I've changed my mind on using LDS and am instead opting for AI #6.

I'll finally be able to play a handful of records that I've never gotten quiet enough to to play. If that makes any sense...

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I've had this unit for a few months now and have refined my technique and it works very well. I bought 2 spin clean brushes from a retailer who sells RCMs and I think they are a crucial addition to this RCM. My technique is to apply the cleaning fluid to the vinyl then spin the lp on the platter and using the brush coat the side fully. Let it sit 30 seconds then gently scrub. Vacuum it off then repeat. Vacuum it off. Then with second brush dedicated to distilled water I repeat the process to rinse. Then with a second vacuum brush dedicated to rinsing I vac the rinse water off. So 3 cycles per side. If the record is not too dirty I don't do the second cycle. If the record is really dirty I scrub relatively hard on the second cycle.
    I have had to scrub hard on some and occasionally done a 3rd cleaning fluid cycle on extremely noisy lps. Never has this caused any damage. Maybe because I work up to it
    A 6 eye miles Davis record I bought for 10 bucks became near mint after the extra 3rd cleaning cycle. Stuff was really in the grooves and it took a while to get out. Perhaps playing it before this extra cycle helped with the needle clearing stuff out. At any rate mostly a single or double cycle works . I can't compare to other units but can say everything I've cleaned is now almost or completely silent. Crazy great product. Highly recomended

Ps. The weak spot is the brush applicator. Buy the spin clean brushes. You can scrub with them and they have a perfect balance of softness and also are firm when needed

Aftermath and Mike .S. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.