$100 RCM - Record Cleaning Machine ***

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markshan, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is a valve to release air on the wand to prevent too much suction. You need to adjust that for your vacuum. Also, never had a problem with the strips coming off the wand. If you do, reglue them or go buy some more strips. They are closed loop velcro with adhesive backing (NOT the prickly part of the velcro strip). The seller will even send you new strips if you need them, shoot an email.

33na3rd likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bingo, full platter and top vac is necessary when using strong enzyme cleaners, any kind of soaking, multiple rinse cycles, etc. With the RD, anything more than a 1 step cleaner is going to become a PITA really fast.

33na3rd likes this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Hi Drew,

There's a picture of my set up, further up this thread post#78. I am familiar with the Nitty Gritty machines, I own a Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi. The Nitty Gritty machines are very nice, but I think that the SqueakyClean MK3 does a much more thorough job of cleaning LP's. I understand the concern with cross contamination, but I really think that problem is overstated a bit. The platter pad on SqueakyClean MK3 is easily removed for cleaning, and can be turned over too.

I can see where a lot of folks are going to be turned off by having a shop vac in their set up instead of a nice one box solution. But the SqueakyClean MK3 works so well for such a great price, that I can live with the shop vac. If the shop vac dies, I don't have to send my whole RCM back for repair either. If a piece on the SqueakyClean breaks, I'll have Nick send a replacement part. Easy peasy!

If I had to chose between my Nitty Gritty and the SqueakyClean, I would have to choose the SqueakyClean. I do understand that others have different priorities and would choose differently.

I have to add, if I was only cleaning brand new LP's, the Nitty Gritty or Record Doctor would be more than fine. If you buy used LP's, you need to do some heavy duty cleaning.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    markshan likes this.
  4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

It's also worth noting that the closed loop pad on the SqueakyClean vacuum wand is not meant for scrubbing the LP. It's meant to protect the LP from coming into physical contact with the vacuum wand during fluid removal. All cleaning/scrubbing of the LP happens on the SqueakyCleans' platter with your choice of fluids & brushes.

And yes, there's a multitude of choices concerning fluids & brushes!

patient_ot and markshan like this.
  5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'm still happily using my SCV machine with AI#15, AI PureWater, and Osage brushes. Some days I wish I had a bit more of a "hands off" solution but damn if it doesn't get stuff cleaned and dried. I even went the UltraSonic route at one point but sold all of that stuff and just stuck with the SCV RCM.

patient_ot, markshan and 33na3rd like this.
  6. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

I've been using Tergikleen with the velvet side of the brush that came with my Record Doctor V. I it sit for several minutes, then rinse with tap water (we have a whole home filtration system), then run it through my Spin Clean with distilled water (so no cleaner is getting into the water in the Spin Clean), then vacuum dry with the RD-V. This process is reserved for used albums I pick up, not new. Those don't get quite such intensive treatment. And still, I get pops and cracks. I've been amazed at how a record that looks pristine can sound bad yet one that is all scuffed up can sound great.

Has anyone used Tergkleen directly in the Spin Clean? Wondering if this would save a step.....

7. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you using the RCM at any stage of this?

8. Beachtraveler

Yes, see above. I'm using the RD-V after the Tergikleen and rinse in distilled water.

9. markshan

Got it. Thanks.

10. Beachtraveler

So thoughts on using the Spin Clean with the Tergikleen solution in it versus hand applying? I seem to be taking a lot of steps, but I do want to be sure that I get the best clean possible on these used records.

11. markshan

With the RCM, I see no reason to use the Spin Clean at all, but especially at the final rinse. That is where you want pure water on, pure water off.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I bought one of these a while back and finally got around to using it. I have to say, I'm impressed with the results when using the AIVS 3 step fluids.

Highly recommended!

patient_ot and 33na3rd like this.
  13. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I use the Premium One-Step Formula No. 6, works great!

jmczaja likes this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I wish mine had. I own a brand new 180g Dark Side of the Moon reissue. Noisy as ph-uk out of the sleeve, plus warped. Had to straighten it out with Vinylflat, took care of the warp, still noisy.

Beachtraveler likes this.
  15. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to compare their One-Step formula to the 3 step? No distilled water rinse?

16. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I haven't.

But I did try the formula 15 enzyme pre-wash, which is similar to the 3 step method, designed for very dirty records. However, I stopped buying very dirty records, so I didn't really use it enough to evaluate. Results weren't as amazing as expected for the extra work, so I just stick with the simple one-step.

jmczaja likes this.
  17. Beachtraveler

Me too. I was kinda shocked how noisy it is. I've cleaned it once, but will try another go round. It shouldn't be so noisy for a brand new album!

18. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I'll have to give it a try. I typically don't buy records that aren't at least VG+. That said, I've bought some VG+ records that were noisy as all heck.

Beachtraveler likes this.
  19. markshan

Three years and hundreds of records later it's still going strong and I still love it!

moomaloo, cat9 and 33na3rd like this.
  20. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Likewise!

21. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I modified my Spin Clean to make it far more effective and more effective than washing records by hand and/or in a sink. When I get the time I'll take some photos and post them here. Not hard to do providing you have the right tools.

VinylMario, 33na3rd and Rupe33 like this.
  22. markshan

First, you won't convince me that washing records in dirty water is optimal. Second, depending on how much expense is involved in your mod, it may end up being the same price or more than this RCM. But I will look forward to seeing what you've got anyway.

23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I would like to see your images as well.
    I think the Spin-Clean is a fine device for batch cleaning of my thrift store store finds that tend to be dirtier than the used LP's that I find at the record store.

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

This is better than the KAV?

25. Zatoichi

Zatoichi Forum Resident

I found scrubbing bubbles/paint pad method as a great pre-treat. Then L’Art du Son with a Pure water rinse on my okki nokki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.