$100K Sound Systems ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

As a long time reader of Stereophile and other audio mags I've noticed an interesting trend. Many of their highly recommended system components easily add up to over 100k for just amp, preamp and speakers. If I could spend that kind of $$$ on equipment I just might do so.

How about you???

LeeS likes this.
  2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Why not?

LeeS likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sure would.

4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think it depends how I came into the money. Something like a lottery win or an amazing windfall like a company I had shares in going public, maybe. If I had that kind of money because I scraped it together, I probably scraped it together by dong things like *not* buying $100,000 systems and would thus likely be averse.

EDIT:
    The thought occurs that many here probably *do* have $100k+ systems, so it'd be interesting to know when they felt "ready."

But, it also occurs to me that there are people who probably say the same of what many folks here would consider to be a very pedestrian system - although it's nowhere near 100k, there was certainly a time when I could never have imagined having the system I do have - it's all about perspective.

5. Anyone with the means to collect and enjoy an expensive car, wine, first edition, watch, etc would not find this difficult to fathom.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

And you can also use the same recommended list to put together v. respectable systems for a fraction of that.

I can't say that there is a 'trend' on this or not.

7. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Here's me after I hit the lottery:

[​IMG]

Runicen, izgoblin, Dominick and 18 others like this.
  8. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I'd have to be incredibly rich to justify that. If I were worth $100 million, I might consider it.

Paully, Mike-48, Spinmeout and 3 others like this.
  9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I'd spend it if I had it to spend.

Expensive doesn't necessarily mean good however so I'd still buy what sounded the best to me, not what cost the most or looked the prettiest. I wouldn't trust reviews either. One mans gold is another mans poop!

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The equipment I have (poor as it may seem to many) is all I can afford. I would certainly spend 100K on better equipment, but that doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied with mine, on the very contrary. I cost me U$ 5000, not adjusted for inflation (local prices)

Now like you, I'd really would love for people who are over 100K in equipment to chime in.

11. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

At some point, you're paying for size and scale, being able to recreate the Chicago Symphony in a grand ballroom.

But I have already demonstrated an ability to purchase stereo equipment at the outer limits of my budgetary constraints - for my lifestyle, with a higher budge, I can readily imagine spending $15K on an Esoteric disc player, 15 K on a Boulder or Constellation integrated, and 30K on some killer mid-size, full range speakers, another 10K on power conditioning and cables. Can't ever imagine living with giant Wilsons or anything like that.

If I won the lottery, the big audio investment would be a properly designed listening room in a house overlooking Cannon Beach.

Crimson jon, Tim Irvine and bhazen like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not everyone plunks down a hundred grand. I have been building my system for 30 years and now it is a pretty expensive system. So, not everyone that has an expensive system is rich.

13. SpiritMachine

SpiritMachine Active Member

I agree. 100k seems possible but not by going out an spending 100k but by gradually upgrading components over many years. The divorce rate should be less this way as well.

14. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

A beach mansion, proper indoor/outdoor disappearing lap pool, gym, indoor basketball & tennid court, five car garage....yeah, I'd rock a $100k system that would double as a home theater room. But everything else would have to flow with it.

jamiesjamies and jimbutsu like this.
  15. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I'd have a hard time spending that much. My dream amplifier costs just under $10k, by dream speakers are $8k, my dream DAC is $2300 and my dream turntable is $14k. I've already built my dream music streamer. It all adds up to less than $35k.

mds likes this.
  16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

At some point prices of anything can get ridiculous, regardless if you have the money or not. We all know why some of these boutique components run so expensive, and for those reasons are they worth the price tag? I truly believe in the sonic ROI....Does a $50K amp sound $25K mo betta than a $25K amp??
    Me personally, I have heard very few of these mega systems and it would be tough to say "ohhh hellyaaaa!! I hear every musicians heartbeat in the music!!!"

The ones I have heard for sure sound outstanding, but again for me, not that outstanding that I would get ridiculous with spending 6 figures on audio gear.....Like all here I have a dream system, I can only guess right now but it might total about $50K.

izgoblin likes this.
  17. mgmgrand

mgmgrand Forum Resident

I suspect we all have some more or less arbitrary cut off points for how much we're willing to spend on luxury items like hi fi gear. I've spent a lot more on stereo equipment than I once imagined possible and certainly more than I ever intended (it all started with what was supposed to be a simple replacement of a broken receiver . . .). The thing is, the more you spend, the more you expect, and the higher the expectations the easier it is to be disappointed. If I had 100k worth of stereo I'd probably want to hear more realism than any recording can actually deliver. Unless I was wealthy to the point that 100k was of no significance. There's a fellow who posts on another audio forum whose system, by my math, is worth 1 million dollars. He seems pretty happy with it, for what it's worth.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No, not really. By the time you get to that price level, you're buying for more than sound alone; design, marquee, looks, cache. Buying rationale changes the further up you go and diminishing returns kicks in way, way below £100,000.

John, pinkrudy, Rickchick and 7 others like this.
  19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Only if I knew what to buy.

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A pair of Magico Q7s and I've already blown the budget (twice!). Dang. :D

BrokenByAudio and timztunz like this.
  21. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

How many records can one get with $100,000?

Paully, beverett, klockwerk and 4 others like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Above the tsunami risk area, I hope. :D (I love CB.)

MarkO and brew ziggins like this.
  23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Sure, why not. If it is what you enjoy and you have the money there is nothing wrong with that. The retail cost of my system is fast approaching $50k, but I didn't build it all at once. I did it a little bit at a time, a little piece here and there when I had the extra money in cash to do it, and I never paid full retail price. I would say the important thing is don't buy anything you don't have the money to buy. Don't go into debt, don't use credit...if you really enjoy your system and you have the money, I say go for it. If people find out what my stuff is worth some think I am crazy but I always say everybody has their vices. Some guys like classic cars, boats, motorcycles and other expensive stuff. I like music and audio.

Tullman, Paully, G E and 2 others like this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

$100,000!? Probably not. Just not how I'm wired. I'd never own a Rolex or a Ferrari, either; just anti-bling.

About as spendy as I'd get, presuming I fell into wealth, might be buying the top LFD integrated to power my LS3/5's; or maybe buying a complete 47 Labs system. $10k, tops.

Licorice pizza and Tim Irvine like this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

If I had all that I'd sure as hell find a way to keep my music system and my home theater from comingling.

SirMarc, Paully, Doug_B and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.