"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just wish there was a part 2 of sorts.

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Spoilers:

There was zero chemistry between the protagonist and lead woman.

Things plod along during the time that the protagonist is waiting for the assassination, but then speed up when things finally get interesting. So the first 3/4 or so of the series should have been collapsed into fewer episodes, and the final episodes should have been stretched out much longer, especially the post-apocolytic alternate future in which Kennedy had survived.

And the device about not killing Oswald right away, because there might be conspirators, made no sense. Why not just shoot Oswald right away and go directly back to the present to see how things played out? The protagonist could then have gone back in time again to do things differently.

Overall, a great concept that they didn't pull off.

alexpop likes this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I'd kill myself too if I was scheduled to testify before those geniuses. Here's a group photo taken right before they issued their final report. Hard to tell, but I think that's Cyril Wecht on the far right.

[​IMG]

Vidiot, Crungy and FritzL like this.
  4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Currently re-watching this now, it still holds up well two years later IMO, and let's not forget the best part:

[​IMG]

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think it's an entertaining series, but it's only a basic outline of the novel. I'd say 75% of what happens in the series doesn't happen in the novel (a lot of that involves Bill...he has a minor role in the novel.) I finished episode 8 tonight, but I cringe at the thought of upcoming additional changes. It's hard to believe that King signed off on it, but he did.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. alexpop

King said he found time travel writing exhausting( doesn't plan on doing another, though never say never). Thought the series was great, though been meaning to read the novel.

7. alexpop

Have to get the Blu Ray.

goodiesguy likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She was wonderful in Alias Grace on Netflix as well. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

goodiesguy and Deesky like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The producer admitted in an interview (which I linked to earlier in this thread) that if they had shot all these details for the TV movie, it would've been 20 hours long and cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Another major plot change is that in the book, the lead character goes back in time 4 or 5 times, screwing up different things each time; in the TV movie, he only time-travels once.

Simon A and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

Novel 849 page count.

How many script pages ?

11. alexpop

He did write a short story called The Jaunt. Horror/science fiction genre, set in the 25th century.Anybody read it?

mdm08033 likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's no direct correlation between a novel page and a script page, because a novel might do 2-3 pages just describing a scene, the buildings, the street, where the people are walking or driving, and what's going on. In a film, we might see that in 10 seconds. But a novel might also say, "and then suddenly, in a giant flash, a meteor hit the city, and 500 buildings were flattened in seconds and millions of lives ended." And that could take 10 minutes to show.

Typically, 1 script page = 1 minute of screen time. If they could've crammed an 800-page novel into a 400-page script, then it'd be 400 pages or 6.5 hours. We got about 8 x 50-minute shows, which is not too far off in terms of length, but I think quite a few scenes were condensed and changed because of budget issues.

13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I still feel like there was a lot of time wasted in those early episodes. It did not help that there was no chemistry between the protagonist and his love interest.

14. alexpop

Love interest, time travel?
    "Bid Time Return" by Richard Matheson.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's one of my favourite short stories of his.... love the concept about the ramifications of teleportation technology.

mdm08033 and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

11/22/63
    Tried to watch it for the third time, but I found it a bit depressing some parts.

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Re-watching this again.

Darryl

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. alexpop

Film some day no doubt.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes. Sadie is an enchanting character with a stunning face.

goodiesguy and Big Pasi like this.
  20. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

This is one of the reasons why I always prefer to read the book after seeing the movie. The book is always going to be so much better. I'm not even talking about times when the film is horrible, like Bonfire of the Vanities, but even when its very well done, like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Serpico, Rich Man Poor Man, etc., its still disappointing if you read the book first. I thought this book was very good and I couldn't put it down but the miniseries was eh.
    '

MikeInFla likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Enjoyed the book, even though
    it dragged at times, the mini-series
    i found a hot-mess.

22. alexpop

Enjoyed the series myself. Putting me off reading the book now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.