110v down to 100v power converter, is it stupid?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by inperson, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

The question is too broad (too many variables and equipment specific) but it all comes down to rail voltages etc (the amp's design)

If the amplifier or receiver in question uses typical operating voltages throughout it's various sub assemblies (tuner, pre-amp, power amp etc) it would not make any difference

In fact, the amplifier may even work "better" as the transformer would be well "over rated" for you using it at 120V

Analogman

2. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Didn't do it, sorry. I don't have a volt meter, if I'm going to spend some bucks I better get the buck transformer.

A local worker from the electric company told me that I should get a "capacitor".

Should I open it?

3. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, make sure the step down is rated a good bit higher than the needs.

So if you have an amp that draws 200w max, use a stepdown that is rated to be able to provide 600w or higher capacity.

That's my take on it anyway.

4. Analogman

You can do that (if you know what you are looking at) no insult intended
    The best way to approach this is by obtaining a service manual for your specific piece of equipment and, yes, to open it up (and even with a service manual always verify; production changes do/did happen)

If the equipment is all Japanese, so much the better; their service manuals almost always give the alternative part numbers and ratings when there is more than one version

This is not a question that can be well answered on any open forum by anyone who does not know EXACTLY what you have

I am repeating myself now; YOU MAY NOT EVEN NEED TO PURCHASE ANYTHING TO MAKE THIS EQUIPMENT OPERATE PROPERLY ON U.S.A. AC MAINS

And there is NO WAY of knowing until you investigate/look at it

Anyone telling you to "do this" or "do that" without actually having seen your particular piece of gear is doing you no good service

I'm out

Good luck! (and be safe!)

Analogman

Halloween Jack likes this.
  5. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

True....

But with what the OP has told us, he is powering the unit from his wall receptacle. Bucking the voltage to 100Vac will do no harm. Continuing to operate the unit from his mains power will more than likely shorten it's life. There is a very good chance his mains voltage is 120V.

Here is the link Halloween Jack supplied in an earlier post. Click on the picture of the receiver. Then notice in the lower right hand side a block of more picture options are given. Click on the picture of the opened receiver. Enlarge the image. From the picture of the power transformer can you tell if it has a multi tap primary?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ONKYO- - -TX-8050-S/dp/B004WA7E7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421357688&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo tx-8050

6. Analogman

I don't see how that changes anything I have said?

From the photo I would make no guess, one way or the other (not enough detail)

There does APPEAR to be at least two unused posts at the front of the transformer (where the short harness off the board attaches after it leaves the board where the AC cord attaches and the fuse and line cap are situated)

I am certain that on the actual transformer there are/is a spec label and if not, definitely a part #

I believe in using service manuals along with actually having the piece of equipment on my bench

Analogman

7. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

You can pick up a decent multimeter at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/multimeters

A local worker from the electric company told me that I should get a "capacitor".

A capacitor? And do what with it? An AC capacitor will not lower the mains voltage. If anything it will raise it.

8. Analogman

And he should not be until he is in possession of more information

He runs the risk of damaging his equipment or worse

I thought that's what this thread was all about

I simply suggested (and now for the last time) that he may not need to BUY anything to make it work safely and correctly

Knowledge is power (and can save money too)

Analogman

9. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

A word of caution.... You should not, even if you think it is safe for you, use a power cord with a male 125V plug and a 125V receptacle that will be connected to a 240Vac power source in the USA or Canada. Safety first, use a NEMA 250V rated receptacle and plug only for 240Vac.

Ortofun likes this.
  10. Analogman

And to start off with an even simpler appraoch

Although generally useless (the "help" one generally gets from them, phone bank "service" numbers) but it just MIGHT not be a complete waste of time to call the North American "1-800 Onkyo........." type service number and simply ask them

Never had much luck with those (they basically only seem to be qualified to advise on warranty RAs and returns for exchange type of stuff, worth a try though and would be interesting to hear what they had to say

BUT I still would not bank on that either unless they said something along the lines "why yes, BUT you must let us do for you for a nominal charge at our "only WE can work on Onkyo equipment "authorized" service center" sort of thing

Analogman

11. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Halloween Jack,

Here you go just buy one of these, plug and play. You will still need to find out what your wall receptacle voltage is. Just guessing it around 120V nominal. If that is the case you will want to buy a 120Vac to 100Vac unit.

Your receiver draws 230 watts at 100V (2.3 FLA) . A 500 VA, watt, unit would be the minimum size, jmo. A 1000 VA, watt unit would be plenty big.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=120v to 100v transformer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=32089723622&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17935831067454365685&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5u6a81qumv_b

12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Maybe....? I'd put a step-down transformer on it because Onkyo receivers tend to run hotter than average. I have step-down units on my prize, Japanese LD players, HLD-X9 and LD-S9, just to be safe. On the other hand, I don't use them for my Japanese Onkyo Hi-MD recorders.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

I appreciate all the input you guys have put into this thread!

A friend of mine gave me a little variable voltage transformer that goes from 0 volts to 150 volts. It's set exactly at 100 volts according to the front meter. It's small, quiet and is perfect for my 100 volt cd player.

14. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

15. Halloween Jack

This is the deal. That's a great solution.

16. Ortofun

Yeah that was a really strange bit of advice, one that should be ignored big time.

17. Halloween Jack

I didn't get it either.

Ortofun likes this.
  18. Halloween Jack

Just for the record, an electrician checked the mains voltage this afternoon (well, not from the mains, but from a AVR outlet connected to a wall receptacle). The meter showed 111V (?) :love:

Can I still use that Amazon's 120v step-down transformer?

19. Ortofun

If 110v is the ideal, and that 111v is consistent.......nah, don't bother.

Underpowered (starved) equipment is bad also, so yeah, don't bother ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  20. Halloween Jack

:)

100v is still the ideal though :rolleyes:

21. Ortofun

Oh!
    It's not too bad, if it is tube gear the plate and heater voltages will be a little higher.....I wouldn't sweat on that difference too much :)

If using the step down, that is for 120v down to 100v is it? Would that mean something like 92v? I'm not great a math.

The only real better option is a custom step down that deal with what you need, but then if you move somewhere else? Or a power regulator/re-generator, but that is getting expensive.

22. Halloween Jack

Yeah, I think that transformer will step down 20v no matter if the input is 120v or 110v so... it will be 90v in the end :doh: I hope we're not wrong.

23. Halloween Jack

Ortofun, you were making fun of those guys who said a 10-15% overvoltage was safe.

And now you tell me not to worry about 111v? I'm getting mixed signals here :shrug:

Ortofun likes this.
  24. Ortofun

I'm saying that most folk will not worry about it, myself I try to get it on target.......but I'm in a little bit of the same boat as even though I have power transformers that are 240v, my voltage at the wall is 250v.

I would like to address the difference I have, but can't afford a mains re-generator like the Thor ect'.

I would address it if you can, maybe you can find a tech' that can modify the step down you have there.....to suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.