12 Monkeys Syfy original series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Thoughts on the finale ?

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

For some reason my DVR only recorded the first 12 minutes and I can't see that they are going to run it again.

3. Dennis Metz

The first 12 minutes were great though:cheers:

4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Cassie's in 2043......and alive. What more could you want.
    At any rate, another terrific episode, as usual. BUT...afterwards they said
    12 Monkeys will be back in 2016! WTF....you mean it won't be back in the
    fall and we have to wait until next YEAR? I'm really getting sick of these
    long, long delays from one season to the next. Especially when there's a
    major cliff hanger like we just had on 12 Monkeys.

5. Dennis Metz

We will have time to watch the blu Ray a few times.

6. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

It reminds me more and more of the shift in writing and tone that occurred in Continuum, Season 3, where the conventions you find in most time travel series are simply blown up. Like they let the writers off the leash a little bit more than usual (I'm still trying to think through the end of Continuum Season 3, Ep 11 - can't believe they actually did that. ).

Overall, I had very low expectations going in (I'm one of the few posting who didn't like the movie), but was pleasantly surprised at how they've twisted and twisted the foundation underlying the film into something I enjoyed watching each week.

Let's face it, when you look at the core plot elements - a global plague, a crusading FEMA scientist, a doomsday cult, time travel, post-apocalyptic future, shadowy government conspiracy - it's not like the premise is brimming with original ideas. But the writing and the acting turned it into something fresh.

Long wait til 2016 (and kind of hard to understand why).

7. I thought the show built up steam as events unfolded in the past. Those last few episodes were great television at times. So who is the Witness?

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm enjoying most everything about this show EXCEPT the wacko daughter. She's just too much of a cartoon, and all the stuff with her as the head of the company is way too cartoonish. I mean, its time travel sci-fi. I'm not looking for Macbeth. But the stuff with her standing on the boardroom table last week was just stupid. And this week, the stuff at the shareholder meeting was also just stupid.

Again, she's the one element I don't like...but I like the show a lot, overall. .

9. sixtiesstereo

Odd, she's my favorite character/actress on the show. And she took the Brad Pitt character
    from the film (also a nut job) to a whole different level.

10. the.giffer

Exactly - it's like they have to wedge in a twitchy wacko or the cast isn't complete (cf Ian Tracey character in Continuum, Alison Louder character in Helix, 'Bob' in American Odyssey).

The boardroom scenes in some of these shows - and the views of corporate politics generally - are just ridiculous comic book caricatures

Lonson likes this.
  11. sixtiesstereo

Did you actually ever see the original film and how Brad Pitt played the same character (albeit
    Goines' son instead of his daughter as on the show)? Both equally crazy and very fun to watch.
    She's not there as a caricature....that's actually who the character is.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The issue isn't that she's possibly crazy. I had no issues with the earlier scenes in the mental ward or in the lab.

The stuff I hate is the wacko as company president. There it turns into a stupid cartoon.

13. the.giffer

I saw the film.

However,
    -I've noticed several departures from the film in this series, particularly in characterization (which you may have noticed because you've also watched the series) so 'it was in the film' doesn't necessarily sell it as a good fit or necessary in the series. Even with the Goines character, I think we'll have to wait to see if she has the same degree of control the Pitt version had over the Army. If she doesn't, it's a major change from the film.
    -quirky/crazy is so often a member of sci fi core casts that it's becoming old (particularly in shows sourcing out of the Vancouver mill)
    -my caricature remark was directed at the boardroom behaviour in these shows (not just the Goines character in this series, but just the way boards are portrayed generally).

You're right - the Goines character isn't a caricature. As of the end of the first season, she's a mildly tedious legacy artifact from the film that may emerge as a key character, likely in a way that diverges sharply from Gilliam's concept.

And of course, given the time travel conceit, it's possible that a reset could occur and Season 2 finds Goines as a level-headed non-quirky CEO who uses chairs, because we are now in Multiverse 721. Now that would be a twist I could buy into.

14. Dennis Metz

Does anyone know if the UK blu Ray is region free?

15. I don't know about that but expect it to hit Blu-ray in North America.:shh:

16. Dennis Metz

I took a chance on the UK version since it's the one being sold on Amazon CA.

17. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Let us know. With no plans for a U.S. Release on BluRay, people want to know if the UK version is region free.

18. Dennis Metz

It's region free...looks fantastic

amoergosum likes this.
  19. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Trailer (season 2):

PhantomStranger likes this.
  20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Are there any special features?

21. Scope J

Anyone lookin' fwd to S02 ?

22. Scope J

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looks good. Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to season 2. I liked season 1 a lot...It maintained the suspense and quality pretty well over the season...

amoergosum likes this.
  24. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I'm in for season 2. I like this series so much better than the movie.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And it's back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.