12AX7 Valves/Tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by POE_UK, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have 2 KORG synthesizers that use a pair of these and theyre getting hard to get hold of in the UK, anyone know where i can get mullard or slyvania replacements from the terrible chinese ones fitted to my korg emx-1 and korg esx-1

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

There are lots of tube dealers online if you just search. I have no idea how many are located inside of the UK though. Although I'm sure that many US dealers would be more than happy to sell to you, if you are willing to pay for shipping.

POE_UK likes this.
  3. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

POE_UK likes this.
  4. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Well-Known Member

As mentioned above - Watford Valves. They usually have some more interesting NOS tubes. 12ax7 or ecc83 are equivalent valves. Hot Rox seem to turn orders around quicker.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not sure what the tubes are doing in those korg circuits, but my guess is that they're not running as full voltage amplification stages but as starve plate low voltages distortion generators, like of like what op-amps do in an effects pedal. I don't know that there's much value in spending big dough on NOS tubes for that application. The New Sensor made Sovtek 12ax7LPS are new production 12ax7s that in my experience in guitar amps sound good, balanced, rich and full when driven to distortion plus they're very low noise. I've actually used 'em in place of early '60s Mullard short plates in guitar amps and they're a good sub for that kind of warmer tone.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Give Gold Lions with metal pins a chance, they sound great on my phono preamp. Another brand that makes good tubes is Psvane, don't let their Chinese origin fool you, their excellent but not cheap.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Poe, i think you would be fine with a couple of 1960s GE for that application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.