14 Hour Technicolor Dream documentary (Pink Floyd content)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris M, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm a little disappointed this documentary film on the 1967 14 Hour Technicolor Dream festival won't have any of the (presumably lost) footage of the Pink Floyd's performance at the festival it does look interesting. It has new interviews with Waters, Mason, Kevin Ayers, Barry Miles and Phil May as well as bonus features of the well circulated Scarecrow promo, the BBC Look of the Week performance of Astronomy Domine and the Arnold Layne promo.

Hopefully is has the bits of John's Children footage included. I expect the brief footage of John Lennon walking through the crowd will be included.

Brain Damage review is below as is the Amazon link.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/dvds-videos/a-technicolor-dream-dvd-with-pink-floyd-and-others.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001FWRYVK/braindamage-20

2. Chris M

Did I mention John Lennon of the Beatles is in this :laugh:

3. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Hey Chris, you forgot to include the R word, ( remastered).

Thanks for the links, I'll be looking forward to this if only for the promo's and new interviews.

Bob

4. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

This sounds like it will be a great DVD. I look forward to picking it up when it's released.

Thanks. :righton:

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh:
    You're really going out on a limb with that prediction, aren't you, Chris.

I've never seen live footage of John's Children! I'd love to see that, especially Chris Townson, the drummer (who unfortunately passed away earlier this year), who has often been compared to Moon.

6. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Thanks Chris. Last year, I saw "Tonite Let's All Make Love In London" at a Peter Whitehead retrospective here in the city. Seeing Pink Floyd do "Interstellar Overdrive" on the big screen is one of the greatest movie experiences I've ever had.

7. Chris M

Me neither. I think the John's Children footage was shows at some sort of 40th Anniversary of the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream last year. IIRC John's Children set up in the middle of the crowd while one of the other bands played on on the two main stages at opposite ends of the hall. It would be a shame if this footage isn't used on the DVD.

8. Chris M

Very cool. I've never seen the complete Tonite Let's All Make Love In London film. How much Floyd is in it? Have you seen London '66-'67? It has all of the Floyd footage shot for the film including over 20 minutes of footage shot at their first professional recording session..

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wow - this sounds like a must-have for "old school" Floydians like me. Worth it for the live and/or TV performances of "Astronomy", "Scarecrow", and "Arnold Layne". QE Hall is the Games For May concert, innit?

10. Chris M

Queen Elizabeth Hall is Games For May but the Astronomy footage is really Look Of The Week. No audio or video has turned up from Games For May although it is thought that it was recorded.

Here is the trailer for the film. Looks like it is really well done. Most of the footage of the audience is new to me. It seems like they filmed lots of the crowd but little of the bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCzNM8dJqTM

11. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

"Interstellar Overdrive" comprises the final 15 minutes of the film. And in the beginning, you see them performing for about a minute, with Lennon walking around, making the rounds.

I've never seen London '66-'67. That sounds fantastic.

12. Chris M

Cool. I always thought that only a couple of minutes of Floyd was used in the film. I have it somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and watch it.

On a different note I'm told by an unimpeachable source that film with sound of a complete 1967 Floyd show at UFO exists.

13. Chris M

Nothing major but it looks like the DVD will contan an upgrade of the Scarecrow promo. Screenshots are below..

Attached Files:

14. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Wow. Now that would be something.

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks for the Link will order this :righton:

Regards

Simon :)

16. Chris M

The first five minutes of the film..

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3753958/10305732

I think the footage from the 1967 BBC Man Alive documentary "What Is A Happening" is new to general circulation but it is mainly footage of the crowd. I still find that stuff mesmerizing. They look like they are having so much fun. Does anyone know where to find some of the ol' - 25 in Baton Rouge :laugh:

17. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Simon, try amazon.co.uk - it's already released and ready to ship.

18. Clarkophile

Oh, this looks great.

It's driving me mad---what is the name of the song that's playing during the beginning of the clip and at the end. I know I've got it, but I can't remember!:laugh:

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I'm supposing that they didn't capture Tomorrow on film? Either way, for $15 this seems well worth it.

20. Chris M

Peter Whitehead's footage of this event has a few frames of unidentified bands onstage and I think one of them is Tomorrow. Not sure but I think the band shown in the first 5 minutes of the clip is John's Children.

It looks like the Arnold Layne promo is an upgrade as well.

Attached Files:

21. Chris M

I was about to ask the same thing. It sound familiar but I can't place it. It is really enchanting. Maybe someting from Willie Wonka?

22. Clarkophile

What's really bugging me about this is I know I was playing this song a few days ago...somebody please put me outta my misery.:laugh:

23. Chris M

Looks like the BBC Look of the Week footage is an upgrade as well. My friend brightend the screenshots for comparison purposes. Note that the BBC footage isn't complete. The Pow R Toc H bit isn't here and the interview is chopped up and inserted in the documentary.

Attached Files:

24. Clarkophile

That bottom pic is incredible.

25. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I love it too. It's an apt visual representation of what their music was like at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.