14 Hour Technicolor Dream documentary (Pink Floyd content)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris M, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

The Floyd on the Dutch TV show Fanclub. This was the same day as the Technicolor Dream show. They played a show near Manchester on 4/28. Drove all night to the Netherlands to do Fanclub and some photo shoots and then drove back to London for the Technicolor Dream that night.

Notice how Syd looks comforatable in the psychedelic clothes and Waters looks dorky? Something else I've noticed is that even though Syd sang most of the songs Waters is often center stage in the early photos.

Attached Files:

2. Chris M

Anyone pick this up?

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Wasn't this the flick with the 16-minute version of "Interstellar Overdrive" on it? an AMAZING track,BTW!:righton:

4. Chris M

No, this is different. The new DVD is a documentary on the 14 Hour Technicolor Dream festival. London '66/'67 has the 16 minute Interstellar Overdrive.

5. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The new DVD "A Technicolour Dream" is mainly a series of interviews, which focuses extensively on how the British counterculture emerged from the poetry & underground journalism scenes, only getting into the subject of Psychedelic music towards the end of the program. The program does not hold up well to repeated viewings.

As for the bonus Pink Floyd clips, "the "Arnold Layne" video runs fast, and is far from the best print. The "Scarecrow" clip runs at the correct speed, but again, better quality prints have appeared on bootleg DVD's. "Astronomy Domine" is from the BBC "Look of The Week" program, and the quality is fine.

6. Chris M

Well, it is a documentary film what do you expect? It isn't designed to been seen repeatedly.
    I noticed they used the native audio for the Arnold Layne promo. Some collectors like that but I'd prefer it be synced with better audio.

I disagree with you re the Scarecrow print. I went in with some other collectors and bought a copy from Pathe a few years ago (as well as the outtakes) and the new DVD trumps it.

bhazen likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just got it, watched a few nights ago. Pretty effing great, really - it's filed right next to my London 1966/67 DVD. I always get a thrill seeing Syd's Dr. Strange tunic casting the shadow during the "Whoooooo!" bits of "Astronomy Domine". I'd never seen the colour "Scarecrow" clip, or the complete "Arnold Layne" b&w footage...this disc really gives one a new view of the times of the early PF, complementing the London DVD.

A huge bonus for me is having interview footage with Kevin Ayers, one of my heroes from that time. It's always bittersweet seeing how much he (and Hoppy, and several others) that I know mainly from 60's/early 70's photographs have aged. Interestingly, Phil May looks the same as he has for the last ten or fifteen years! Roger Waters has mellowed somewhat in recent years, that's nice to see...

8. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

For anyone who wants to try before you buy, Technicolour Dream is being advertised as part of Pink Floyd Night on Sky Arts 1 (UK) on Christmas Day starting at 9 P.M.

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Listening to The Pretty Things' Parachute tonight all of the sudden, at the beginning of the song "What's The Use" comes that little piano bit used in the video. A few months late but there's your answer. Amazing song on an amazing album.

10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

D'oh! Of course! Thanks so much, Mark.
    You have no idea how much that had been bugging me.:laugh:

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Part of a great 'trilogy' of Pink Floyd (and related stuff) DVDs; the others being Pink Floyd London 1966/1967 and The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story. As this (the all-too-brief 'London Underground') is my favourite time & place in pop history, I'm thrilled.

12. woody

woody Forum Resident

This is streaming on Netflix. Watched it last night. It does drag some but it is interesting to hear about the early years of the London underground scene.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Thanks now I know what I'm watching today.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Bump ......

I just saw a film clip of Syd (!!) and the Floyd on YouTube, miming "Jugband Blues"! Interesting on a number of levels, not least because Syd seems to be functioning nominally (seeming to debunk some of the myth extant about Syd's last days with the Floyd.)

Lemme guess: you've all seen this clip, it's just me who's been unaware. Anybody know what this was from, or meant for?

On a related note, anyone know what happened to Have You Got It Yet?, the Storm Thorgerson-directed documentary on Syd that was supposed to be out last year? (Sadly, I'm guessing Storm's passing had something to do with its non-appearance...)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Anyone found a Carnival of Light easter egg yet?

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok this thread is the only one is see to ask a question about this concert so here goes :

The promotional poster for this concert lists Pete Townshend snd Denny Laine as performers.
    Is this accurate ?
    If so what did they perform ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.