14 out of 15 listeners can't tell the difference between PONO & iTunes Store downloads on an iPhone

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Fiio has a player now for $100 that can play 24/192 FLAC files that is better than the Sanza. None of the inexpensive players are going to have very powerful headphone amps. You would either have to buy an external amp or buy a more expensive player for that.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

thanks for quoting me information from Spotify. my ears tell me that Spotify's "desktop high quality" doesn't sound like my 256kbps AAC and 320kbps MP3s.

3. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

:)

I'm a moderate audiophile.

A great song is a great song, even if it's playing out of an AM transistor radio. Sometimes the quest for perfect sound quality gets in the way of enjoying the music. I play guitar, and sometimes us guitarists can be overly obsessed about guitar tone, instead of just playing.

Muddy, Driver 8 and Mij Retrac like this.
  4. Jack Flash

I believe you hear what you hear. But, I'm going with what Spotify says over your ears. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    You have to wonder how this works with the muscle car engine like a Pontiac tri-power or the like. I keep picturing this somehow not skipping when trying to burn rubber in 3rd gear, with a souped up 428 Cobrajet GT 500...

6. motionoftheocean

you understand that not all 320 encoders are identical, right

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Sony-MDR 7506's I find fairly decent sounding and even with my iPod with Apple Lossless sound great. I have yet to try pono but my buddy has and he said that his V-6s with it were a little better than an iPod but not enough to suggest making the switch

8. Jack Flash

That's awesome. :D

9. Jack Flash

Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis, which provides better quality than a 320 kbps MP3.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Ogg-Vorbis

My ears say Spotify sounds great. If you don't like it, then I don't see why you've subscribed for 2 years.

10. motionoftheocean

I've been using OGG files since 2003 so I'm very familiar with the format. Regardless, I'm fairly certain you don't actually understand the nuts and bolts of what you're talking about and are instead just quoting marketing from a company.

If you think Spotify sounds better than files played back on the desktop, and view Spotify as equivalent to a CD, I'm going to assume that you're just expecting far less from playback quality than many of us here.

11. Jack Flash

LOL

And I don't think you have a subscription to Spotify, but instead, have an issue with streaming services, and an axe to grind.

Streaming is the future of music, whether you like it or not. There are already streaming sites that sound as good as CDs, to anyone's ears.

ReggieTheVaper likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

and you'd be wrong.

13. Jack Flash

As would you, regarding myself quoting marketing.

Spotify sounds really good to me, and everyone I know who's subscribed to it.

Maybe you should get better audio gear?

ReggieTheVaper likes this.
  14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Or, like me, you're not a "premium subscriber".

15. motionoftheocean

you're the guy who thinks AM radio sounds good, right

16. Jack Flash

Yeah, if you don't subscribe the quality is a bit crap.

rcsrich likes this.
  17. Jack Flash

:laugh:

We're through here. :)

Malina likes this.
  18. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

There's the key- if you're not a subscriber, you're getting 160 kbps max.

19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Again, the article says NOTHING about how many of the 15 listeners could ACTUALLY tell a difference between a Pono and an iPhone. About 80% THOUGHT they could hear a difference, although most chose the iPhone as having the better sound.

The title of this thread should be ignored. It was pulled straight from the OP's aspirations. Here is the quote he is basing the title on:
    Within the confines of the test, these seem like the 14 out of 15 reasonable people.

Lucidae and Sandinista like this.
  20. Jack Flash

Right. If you just use it as background while you're working, or whatnot, then it's not a big deal. But, if you want to actively listen to it, the subscription is well worth the $10. Spotify will eventually do away with the free tier, I believe, and perhaps just offer a free month, like Netflix does.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Or 14 out of 15 were non-audiophiles who've never heard a good system, which is the most likely. That's such a loaded question by Pogue. No one will ever say they'll spend a large amount of money on similar devices. Not that an iPhone is a cheap device. What's an iphone with 128gig of memory run these days?

Hey, David, why not have them browse Google News with Chrome on an isolated monitor linked to a Mac and a PC and ask them "Would you pay two thousand dollars more the read the news on computer A?"

22. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I don't know- they started out with a monthly (I think) limit for free listeners, then removed the limit. They also have been progressively opening up their mobile apps- used to be you couldn't play whole albums, only shuffle mode. Now on their tablet app, you can play whole albums in sequence & on phones, you can play an entire album, but only in shuffle mode (this all applies to non-paying listeners).

23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I just picked up on that bit of irony too- Pono player $399, new iPhone 6, $649 off-contract. The iPhone ought to kill the Pono! :D

SBurke and Ghostworld like this.
  24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Except for the
    fact that the audio components inside the iPhone are probably only worth about $75.

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I dont see how it wouldnt skip before even leaving the driveway

ubiknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.