16 rpm records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew T., Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

I've noticed that some record players (specifically those of the Califone school-surplus variety) have a speed setting for 16 rpm along with the more obligatory 33 1/3, 45, and 78.

Do 16 rpm records exist? I've never seen any in my life.

2. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Yep. Mostly spoken word. (I have a double LP - George Bernard Shaw's "The Changes". Runs for nearly 4 hours.)

3. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Alvin & the Chipmunks albums might sound interesting at 16 RPM ! :D

4. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

My dad has this thing called a Seeburg Background Music System. It plays 16 2/3 RPM records. I remember when he got it, it came with a ton of them. They're about 9" or 10" from what I remember with a center hole a little bigger than that of a 45 RPM record. Each side runs for about 30 minutes, IIRC. It's just cheesy instrumental versions of pop tunes. Elevator music really. Usually it was pretty hard to identify the songs but I clearly remember "Garden Party", a few Beatles, & a couple Monkees tunes. I remember that it had a double-sided cartridge inside so it would play one side of a record and then go play the bottom side of the next record...etc. Here's a photo of one from the web, exactly like the one Dad has...

[​IMG]

Former member 30842 likes this.
  5. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

When I was a child in the early 1960s, my grandparents had a hadfull of 16rpm records (I don't remember what they were) and my first record player (given to me by my mother) had the speed on it.

Moonbeam Skies and Grant like this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I believe the speed was used mostly for talking books for the blind back before tape cassettes provided a more practical audio source for that audience. I've heard that Vox released some classical collections at that speed (I've never seen one), but it's really far too slow for decent music reproduction.

7. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Somewhere out there is a clip of a young Jimmy Page saying that he learned to copy solos by playing records at 16 RPM. :D

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  8. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

One of my early turntables had all four speeds, but I never owned a record that played at 16 2/3.

JcS

9. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

I can think of a couple of records that probably sound equally good played at 16, 33 1/3, 45 or 78. :agree:

10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I remember my elementary school had one of these, and a lot of French and Spanish language records to go with it, all were 16 rpm.

11. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I think 16rpm was also used for radio transcription discs in the old days. It isn't much good for anything besides spoken-word.

qwerty and AnalogJ like this.
  12. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

For the benefit of younger SH Forumites, back in the later 1950s to mid 1960s there were record players made for use in automobiles. Some of them had 16-2/3 RPM records made specially for use in them.

They were basically "Easy Listening" type records, with artists like Paul Weston and similar musicians.

Chrysler Corporation had the "Highway Hi-Fi" as an option beginning in 1956. It was obviously monaural, and used the amplifier and speaker(s) of the radio.

There were also aftermarket units, found (for instance) in J. C. Whitney-type catalogs until 4-track and 8-track made them superfluous in the mid-1960s.

Now ol' Grandpa will step off his soapbox......

Brian Mc, altaeria, Grant and 4 others like this.
  13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I have 1 16RPM'er on the VOX label. Some classical disc of which the title eludes me. Played it once....sounded like the orchestra was performing in the Times Square Subway Station......rumble rumble rumble.........

(Strangely, I never heard the station announcments! ;) )

PteroDon likes this.
  14. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i admit i honestly have never come across one secondhand, i think i MIIIIIGHT of once....does anyone have a picture of the actual record of one--the holes like a 33 hole not a 45 hole, right-- oh ,

and can you play for ex, a PRESTIGE one (yes they did produce a few) on a car record player, or do you need a specific type specifically for the car

15. Does a Jim Reeves 16 rpm album from South Africa count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCi2WTCbrk

(If you read the comments below it, there's even mention of 8 1/3 rpm recordings, which I never knew existed.)

16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I see spoken word discs from time to time, one was a magazine while the other was someone reading from the bible I believe.

17. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I know that (what's generally now known as) the John Coltrane album Dakar was originally Side 1 of a Pepper Adams/Cecil Payne 16rpm release. Coltrane is the leader of that session to about the same degree that I'm the Prime Minister of Canada.

ruben lopez likes this.
  18. I once saw a 16 rpm album by the Modern Jazz Quartet. Can't imagine it was a stellar listening experience.

My Dad also has a set of French language instruction records that played at 16. I think they were 10"s, FWIW.

19. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

what is out there to play these thing? both my mid-70s Marantz and mid-80s AR only play 33s and 45s? my parents soundesign turntable/8-track/radio all-in-one was the only one i ever used that played 78s, and honestly i'd never even heard of these 16s.

20. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

Every 16 RPM record I've ever seen has been a Bible sermon issued on a hole-in-the-wall label.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  21. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

One set I'd used to have was the Complete "Wizard Of Oz" book on 5 16 RPM Discs..I played them only once..I dunno what happened to them after that,tho'...:shake:

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Talking Book phonographs can play 16 RPM discs. Most 1960's and 1970's era changers have 16 RPM speed as an option. They are scarce records. Vox and Prestige issued a few 16 RPM records in the late 1950's. The main music records you had were the Chrysler Highway Hi-Fi selections from Columbia. Highway Hi-Fi was an option on some Chrysler cars in the late 1950's.

Grant and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  23. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Thanks! I doubt I'd bother to look for one but it would be a neat curiousity item. I really wish my Marantz or AR played 78s, though. I really have no plans to replace the AR, as there's antire community dedicated to making mods for it.

24. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Many of us in our 40s and older remember record players from the 50s and 60s with a speed setting for 16 rpm records. I have never in my life actually seen a record that played at 16, but we had a player with 16 as a setting. It had a dual needle cartridge as I recall, for different speeds.
    I recently read that Chrysler offered factory installed record players in cars that played only 16 rpm records around 1956 to 1959, but these did not work well and were not popular.
    Please discuss and post pics of anything you have related to this mysterious slow speed setting. It seems to have disappeared without a trace!

Grant likes this.
  25. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have never seen one either. A few decades ago, I remember my father explaining to me that 16 was used for recording of speeches, not music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.