18V power adapter replacement for pro-ject phono box mm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jasonsouza77, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast Thread Starter

dear members, I have a project phono box mm but sadly the power adapter has ended its life. to make matters worse, the adapter does not have a usual socket (3 holes) and the phono box itself, the input DC has 3 pins sticking out in a circle. called my local dealer but they mentioned that the product has been discontinued so they don't sell the adapter replacement. hope that someone out there will be able to assist me with this. really hope ill be able to source for the adapter. thanks so much -Jason

p.s. the model no of the adapter is sap180050eu
    photo links of adapter jack and phono box input dc socket
    https://ibb.co/i1O8kR
    https://ibb.co/haWps6

2. jasonsouza77

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That must've been an early design that needed +/- 18V, I think the later ones just use +18V, so have the normal two pin concentric connectors like you see on just about everything now. Maybe send email to Pro-Ject and ask for ideas. Or just toss it and buy a new (or used) one :)

4. jasonsouza77

do you have their email? I tried to msg them from the web form on their website but no response and it has been more than a month

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

I would measure between each of the pins with a multimeter first before considering the power supply to be at fault. You should get either 18V or 36V between pins depending on which connection you test, of +18V/GND/-18V.

You could disassemble the plug on the end of the cord, and see if there is a broken wire or solder connection inside. It is probably held together with a set screw.
    An enterprising tech could crack open the plastic case of the power supply and replace capacitors as a possible fix.

Probably your guy:

ND-077: 2 x 18V / 250mA DC Power Supply

• All DC versions of the Phono Box MM, up to Serial Number E4360, excluding those with ND-024 (see below).

Ordering it from the UK, with the link above, you are likely to get one with a UK "G" wall plug (3x rectangular wall pin), which should actually be the standard plug in Singapore, not the European round-pin connector you show.

The connector on the end of the power supply looks to be a Switchcraft CB3FX 3-pin connector - used for CB radio handsets:
    [​IMG]

The corresponding connector on the box would be the CB3mx:
    [​IMG]

A +18V/GND/-18V power supply of any type is harder to find. I was only able to discover expensive +15V/GND/-15V with a different connector.

Edit:
    Disassembling the cord will likely need some creative paper-clip poking through the back to release the spring latch that holds the metal cover onto the plastic plug body:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    jasonsouza77 likes this.
  7. jasonsouza77

hi harby will it be possible to connect 2 9v batteries to power up the preamp?

8. harby

harby Forum Resident

Hi.

You would need four. There is +18V, Ground, and -18V.

Between +18V and -18V, that's 36 volts total potential.

[​IMG]

Most dual supply op-amps, such as the Pro-Ject's NJM4580 chips, and devices based on them, can operate within a voltage range. You might try such a power supply with the more common lower voltage +15V/-15V, which should only reduce the maximum signal output headroom on the RCA outs.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  9. The power supply is somewhat similar to the Project Phono RS which is also +/-18v although the end fitting may be a different size. I think the RS one is also 300ma output rather than the 250 on the op's one.
    If the op is waiting on a reply directly to Pro-ject he could be waiting a long time. I'm still hanging out for a question I sent to them in 2006 requarding my then Perspective TT.
    A better course might be to contact the UK agent, Henley Audio who appear to be more resposive
    Welcome to Henley Audio
    or a UK retailer like Analogue Seduction
    Search Results

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

It would be, I linked the exact adapter, in post#6, where one can pick ND-077 from the drop-down menu and press "add to cart".

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. harby

harby Forum Resident

Hey, look what I have, the elusive +18v/-18v power supply:

[​IMG]

It has a plastic square four-pin power connector for the device that could be switched to something different, but I thought I'd better get it while I had the chance, who knows when it might be useful. Don't know how that would help someone in Singapore though...

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  12. jasonsouza77

hi harby, how do I make the connection? I have ordered croco clips and wires from ebay about 2 weeks ago. still waiting for them to show up in the mailbox. anyway, initially, I thought of connecting 2 9v batt together, then from the +ve connect it to the positive of the input pin of the phono box and the negative to the negative of the input pin of the phono box but that wont work right? thank you

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  13. jasonsouza77

yup still waiting for them to respond.. hehehe..

14. harby

harby Forum Resident

They don't have a pin description. You could email Pro-Ject and see if they will supply one, otherwise you would have to open the phono box and see if you can find the meaning of the pins from silk-screening or device connections inside.

Funny, I just found another +18v/-18v power supply, from a JBL iPod boombox. It has a s-video style connector.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  15. jasonsouza77

ohhhh..so those 3 pins sticking out don't mean anything.. I see.. thought they meant positive negative and earth or something like that. thank you for the info harby. I guess the battery connection is out then..

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

That is what the power supply input pins are for. One pin is the connection for +18 volts, one pin is the connection for Ground (earth), and one is the pin for -18 volts.

You need to discover the correct meaning of the pins. You don't know which pin is for +18V. There is no information provided by Pro-Ject on the internet. You can either contact Pro-ject for the information about how to wire the pins (using the 3-pin connector I linked above), or you (or a technician) can open the Pro-ject box and see if there is more information inside.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  17. jasonsouza77

thanks harby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.