19 RCA Bowie CD's

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by howlinrock, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Wonder what the reserve is. And $65 for shipping to the states. Oh, well.

Also, people are going to chew you out for linking to an auction they are watching that isn't Buy It Now, but whatever. Thanks.

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I wonder if the bidders are from the USA or somewhere else. Unfortunately that's an ebay secret now.

ebay sure is getting boring.

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I saw that auction the other day whilst scanning the Bowie section.

Thought the postage was a bit expensive to Europe.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

These are being shipped from Italy, which is far and away the worst postal system in Western Europe...I assume part of the problem is their ridiculous rates, and part of it is overage for the fact that a lot of stuff shipped through the Italian PO "disappears".

6. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

um why don't you just bid accordingly if the postage bothers you? I will never understand people who complain about postage. You do realize ebay is going after this because they do not get final value fees on postage right? What is the difference if you pay 50 plus 50 shipping on something or 100 with free shipping? besides the fact that ebay doesn't make as much money... :rolleyes:

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

19X$3=57 bucks so 65 seems pretty fair to me.

8. trucker

trucker Member

I was outbid on these. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

I didn't say anything before, since I didn't want to bump the thread until the auction was over, but I don't think it's such a hot idea to link to an ongoing auction (that isn't yours, or Buy It Now). Just my opinion, as I don't think there's an official forum policy, but here's the way I look at it:

These are forum favorites. As such, it's a virtual certainty that there were forum members who were already watching the auction. (Actually, in this case, it's an absolute certainty, since I was one of them.) And the reason these forum members know about the auction is that they're actively trying to track down these titles. Linking to an auction obviously helps people who aren't looking (at the moment) but who might be interested, but it can only hurt those who are making a sustained effort. Either they don't win an item they otherwise would have, or they win it at a higher price. It's also possible that it won't make any difference, but if it does, those are the only two effects it can have on the people who were already watching.

Put it another way: If you came across the auction, and you were interested in bidding on the item, would you still post it here? Would you want someone else to post it here? I imagine the answer in each case is no, right?

Just something to consider. In any event, I'm sure I'll have other shots at some of these titles... :)

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

If the winner was in the States. That works out at $38 a disc incl postage.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

If the discs are truly mint as described, that's not bad. Stage is included in that lot, which is pretty tough to find.

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Quite so; but what about the person who would be interested in bidding, but doesn't know about the auction? Wouldn't they like it posted here?

Sure, we can all go and do our own eBay searches; but to me this issue is not clear-cut. It is simply weighing the interests of one group vs another, each of which contains forum members.

Tim

12. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Posting links to eBay auctions in this Forum basically favours rich people with little time over not so rich people who can invest more time in searching for bargains.

Joachim

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The key is those with deep pockets versus those without. If you have deep pockets and already knew about the auction, you probably would not be so concerned with someone posting it here.

In the end, people should not assume that an auction will fly under the radar, even if it is not advertised here. eBay is not exactly a private forum. I see plenty of high-dollar auctions every day that are never mentioned here in advance of their closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.