1939 Blue Note 78 playing on my 1961 Thorens TD-124

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I just got a second SME headshell for about 1/2 the usual going rate, so I set it up for 78 duty with a Grado ZC+ body and 78C stylus. It sounds great!

2. action pact

Some observations/comments...

The Grado does a nice job of suppressing record noise. It is also not excessively boomy like 78s can often sound with RIAA compensation, making me wonder if Grado purposely tuned this stylus to work well with standard RIAA phono preamps.

The specified VTF for the 78C stylus is 2-5 grams. Setting up an SME arm is kind of a PITA, so I found a great workaround solution. The arm is set up for using another Grado cart @ 1.65 grams. Without adjusting anything on the SME, using a 3 gram Technics headshell insert plate changes the VTF for the ZC+/78C to 5.06 grams - pretty much perfect!

googlymoogly likes this.
  3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

It's not giving you a lot of shellac hash noise, either. Where did you find this particular 78?

4. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Very cool.

I have to disagree about the sme being a pain. I can set up my sme 3012r in very little time.

5. action pact

Believe it or not, that was a garage sale score!

Fair enough, I'm just lazy!

googlymoogly likes this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Are you sure that a 1939 78? It just sounds toooo good.

7. makarushka

makarushka Forum Resident

Nice! What's the record? Don't know it; the guitarist sounds like Teddy Bunn...

8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Love the recording and the TD-124. Over to the right, isn't that a Rek-O-Kut Rondine?

9. action pact

I know, right? That's an especially quiet 78.

It looks like I got the date wrong - February 5, 1941 is when this was recorded.

That is Mister Charlie Christian! This session is unusual because he's playing an acoustic guitar.

[​IMG]

Yes indeed, a ROK Rondine Jr. L-34 with a mono-wired Model 160 arm. Pity that it's only a two-speed.

10. makarushka

makarushka Forum Resident

Thank you! It's lovely... Your post made me pull out some of my 78s; listening to Nellie Lutcher now :)

action pact likes this.
  11. action pact

I'm listening right now to a set of Bix Beiderbecke reissues from the late '40s. These records were barely listenable on my Dual 1019/Shure M78S due to excessive noise. They're sounding terrific on the Thorens/SME/Grado, with the noise firmly sent to the background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.