1960s shows which have disappeared from the air

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Surfside 6
    Pete and Gladys
    Hawaiian Eye
    The Roaring 20's
    Checkmate
    Ben Casey
    Dick Powell Show
    Dr. Kildare
    Robert Taylor's Detectives
    The Defenders
    The Eleventh Hour
    The Nurses (aka The Doctors and the Nurses)
    Mr. Novak
    Bob Hope Chrysler Theater
    The Farmer's Daughter
    My Favorite Martian
    Branded
    The Guns of Will Sonnett
    Please Don't Eat the Daisies
    Peyton Place
    Daktari
    NYPD
    Judd for the Defense
    Bracken's World

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

COZI still runs “My Favorite Martian” in the wee hours of the morning.

MeTV had “Will Sonnett” and “Branded” up until a few years ago. I liked “Will Sonnett” because of Walter Brennan. Did NOT like Branded at all - a depressing “Rifleman” follow-up for Chuck Connors.

Antenna TV made a deal with Sony for “The Farmer’s Daughter” but had to pull back after the announcement because the tapes - last used by CBN cable in the 1980s - weren’t on broadcast shape, and neither Sony nor Antenna wanted to pay for new prints.

I read that the syndication contracts for “The Defenders” were so favorable to the cast/crew that no one wants to pony up to rerun it.

3. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Nanny & the Professer?

4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Mr Novak was only 2 seasons. The first season got a dvd release, but season 2 never did. The rumor is music release issues. A pity as it was a really good show.

5. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Burke's Law. Season 1 had strong enough sales on DVD for a second season, but thanks to the ever growing stupidity of 20th Century Fox Television and their attitude towards the licensor, there will sadly never ever be one.

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

A lot of people don't know that Branded was a Goodson-Todman production. This company was the most prolific in producing game shows, but they also had non-game shows, as well (other examples included The Web, The Rebel, Goodyear Theater, Jefferson Drum, and Phillip Marlowe).

7. James Slattery

I thought that ran on GET-TV recently.

Dirkwkirk likes this.
  8. James Slattery

The great Richard Boone Show as well. Who owns the G-T non-game shows? I'm thinking Freemantle.

Vahan likes this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Mr. Ed
    :cry:

Atmospheric likes this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This got rerun someplace b/c some episodes popped up on YT a few years ago. I watched part of one, which proved beyond doubt that the light touch did not come easily to Troy Donahue
    Same as above, another Warners show that got shown on some nostalgia channel, was on YT for maybe a week, then got taken down. It was OK. Leading man Anthony Eisley's career went straight into the crapper after this left the air.
    Despite the inexplicable casting of stonefaced, nasal monotone Anthony George in the lead, this is a legit buried treasure that merits its cult classic rep. Doug McClure showed the James Garner-Burt Reynolds humor that would make him a star on The Virginian, and of course Sebastian Cabot stole almost every scene he was in. Checkmate really hit a homer w/its guest stars (I presume Universal honcho Lew Wasserman called in some markers): Charles Laughton, Peter Lorre, Tony Randall, Jack Benny (his company produced it) and even Sid Caesar all did shows.

I'm surprised this has never been rebooted.
    Was shown somewhere as I saw some on YT, including the Burke's Law pilot and an episode where William Shatner and Robert Brown are immigrants in 1910 California and end up as movie stuntmen.
    This actually got shown in my hometown in the '80s. Of all the stuff to show, the station bought this. Weird. I figure some program buyer got a kickback.
    I've seen precisely one episode of this: the one where Ben Pizza is a neo-Nazi college student whose right to free speech is defended by his Jewish professor. It was preachy but least preferable to Law & Order. I'd like to see the one where Jack Klugman won an Emmy as a blacklist victim, and I'd really like to see the one where Dennis Hopper is a Nazi on trial -- Hopper claimed Charles Manson admitted seeing the episode and basing his own courtroom antics on Hopper's character.
    Apparently John Cassavetes directed an episode of this. Maybe someday it will turn up.
    Aired on TNT in the '90s. Both The Righteous Brothers and Vaughn/McCallum did cameos.
    I'd love to see a complete print of the Al Pacino-Jill Clayburgh episode.
    Some nostalgia channel played it as episodes have shown up.

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I watched Ben Casey, My Favorite Martian and Daktari regula
    I watched Ben Casey, My Favorite Martian and Daktari regularly and have not seen them since. I wonder how they have aged.

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

My local TV Guide ran an article about reruns. It mentioned that half-hour sitcoms had the most success as reruns, while hour-long dramas had a hard time in reruns. I think a factor in this is that most cities only had a limited number of channels (my hometown only had six channels at the most). Take away time for the following:
    • Network programs in the Morning, Evening, Late Night, and Saturday Morning Cartoons (which were also rerun)
    • News broadcasts
    • Public Stations
    • Movie Shows (2 hours for each movie block, one of my local stations ran one movie on Saturday and one on Sunday)
    That leaves little time available for reruns.

Now, there is much more room for reruns. As an example, when Nick At Night started they reran shows that I'd never seen on any of my local stations (such as The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis).

13. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

Captian Nice
    Mister Terrific
    I watched them in their only season (1967?). I don't think they ever made it to reruns since both only lasted 1 year.

sharedon and John54 like this.
  14. James Slattery

Not even. They both lasted a half season. And Captain Nice did have some airings in the early 90s, first on syndex and then on HA! The only Mr. Terrific airings were in the Universal re-edited movie, The Pill Caper.

15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

How about the show To Tell the Truth? I even remembering watch it -- in black and white.

MikaelaArsenault and Jazzmonkie like this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

It's About Time

[​IMG]

17. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I remember reading that they changed the series later in its run to bring the cavemen to modern times.

Scope J likes this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

townsend likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I believe that was just for the finale episode.

20. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Turn On.

21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

From Wiki-7 modern times episodes. Also list Antenna TV as one place where the show has been seen. Seems right. I think they buried it on Sun. AM.

22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir

23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Branded" currently airs on INSP on Sunday afternoons at 4:30 pm (CST).

It doesn't air every Sunday though, as sometimes a movie will be running in that time slot. Once in a blue moon, they'll air an episode Sunday night/Monday morning at around 2:30 am.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"It's About Time" was running on Saturday night/Sunday mornings on Me-TV up to about a year ago.

Scope J likes this.
  25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I loved "It's About Time." As kids some of us sang an edit of the theme song that went, "It's about time / It's about space / It's about time to slap you in the face." Sorry, I had to tell somebody that.

mikestar, forthlin, John54 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.