1963 Fisher President VIII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BRW, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRW

BRW New Member Thread Starter

I just purchased my first tube amp and would like to know if I got a good deal, found it at an estate sale. Its a 1963 Fisher President VIII (fruitwood), everything works great and visually is in excellent condition. How much are these worth today? I am excited to listen to it but want to have the amp cleaned/inspected first. Thanks for your inputs!

This is the console:
    1963 Fisher President VIII 8000 Console

bluemooze likes this.
  2. russk

russk Forum Resident

Wow!!! Congratulations. They're will be a lot of jealous Fisher nuts over on audiokarma. That's an awesome find. Ive always wanted a console like that. Value for those really depends on location and who wants it. Hard and expensive to ship. I saw a mint Executive console go for 2K at an estate sale and unless I'm mistaken that's a higher end set up.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

4. BRW

Thanks! I am pretty excited to get it serviced and listen to it :)

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Amazing to think these were $2300-$2700 back in the day... when the average new car was $3200. They were definitely status symbols, in addition to being excellent sounding units.

As russk has already pointed out, value today is highly subjective. If there is a guy down the street who really wants one, it will be worth more than if the nearest interested buyer is 1000 miles away. Sadly, most of these consoles get stripped of their amplifiers and those are sold by themselves, with the consoles often trashed. So fully intact survivors are only going to get more scarce over time. But there is also a very limited market for people who want one of these dinosaurs in their living room. So it's a double-edge sword.

Also, do you own the "modern" style or the "provincial" style? The modern style is likely to be more valuable, as that style is more popular today.

The best thing is to keep it. Get the amp checked out. Replace any ticking time bombs (selenium rectifiers, etc.). And give it plenty of love. :love:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. BRW

7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Are all the electronics intact? If so, you have arguably one of, if not the, greatest vintage preamp in existence in the 4oocx, and a terrific amp in the SA300B. The R200 is a wonderful tuner as well. Completely restored you're talking worth in the $6-8k area. Not restored less, but still very rare, coveted stuff. The tubes alone are worth a pretty penny. So if you decide to keep it, expect to pay top dollar to get it restored, but don't let anybody near it until you know for sure that they are the real deal and know what they're dealing with and how to get it in shape. Think of this stuff like finding a beat up '55 Corvette, and then wanting to get it restored. Proceed with that in mind.

Good luck! You're a lucky man, indeed.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is deeply cool but like 55 corvette, ou have to decide if you want an antique or a daily driver. I would vote for restoration as an antique but I don't think that would be my personal choice. Living with a console is a big commitment, they don't move so easy and you are pretty much locked in with the speakers and source it is equipped with. Sure you have an AUX or Tape mon that you can connect to but that defeats the purpose of committing that that huge piece of furniture. I would say the pre/amp and amp is world class but the speakers and turntable can be beat. The basic laws of physics make it pretty tough to turn it up very loud without it distorting through the turntable.

So if at the end of the day you are looking for hours of reference level audiophile bliss, pull the components and lose the cabinet. If you want to maintain and save a gorgeous piece of midcentury american craftsmanship, keep it whole and use it as a second system in a formal dining room or some place a wife generally wouldn't allow stereo equipment.

If the plan is to flip it, tread lightly. Restoration isn't cheap and selling these can take a very long time. It's not like you can double box it and mail it to Indiana.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You don't need to keep the furniture. The preamp/amp/tuner and Elac 10 table if in there would make a first class plus system, one that would be both valuable, and great sounding with a ton of speakers. And the footprint is small, and easy to move. This is the top of the mountain when it comes to vintage tube gear. But of course, one has to really want this type of gear, be prepared to have it properly restored and have somebody around if something goes wrong. I would still look into proper, quality restoration even if the plan is to sell it. The investment will pay off.

The furniture is nice, but I'd be selling that if it was me, and keeping everything else.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed, that's pretty much what I'm saying. I'd rather have the components in a rack and choice of speakers I can place as needed for the room. It just feels wrong to bust up a console that has survived in good condition for so long.

Madlove and dirtymac like this.
  12. dbaudio

dbaudio Member

Can you recommend a good tech in LA I have '64 Executive console that I would like restored.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.