1968 Mono; Anyone seen these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Looks like it used the stereo cat number. Interesting thing is that the Simon & Garfunkel Bookends WLP was mono but also came in a stereo cover with the stereo cat number. The WLP also has the stereo cat number on the label. The stock release used a mono cat number and cover. Wonder if that was at a time when Columbia was on the fence about going completely stereo.

2. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Is that one yours? :love:

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No perhaps I didn't state it properly. There's been talk over the years that Hair may have been pressed on the black Nipper label prior to the common orange pressings. I've never seen a black label Hair and I check them in used bins often. Since you said Hair actually exists in mono I figured that if any copy might have a black label it would be the mon0 one.

4. chacha

me too!

Rickchick and cwitt1980 like this.
  5. chacha

I've never seen a mono Feliciano - has anyone here? The mono Decca Who Sell Out I remember being sold as cutouts at Tower in late sixties for $1.99. I can't believe I didn't buy one then. Finally got one about 8 years ago.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes it was. That is the first copy I ever played(it was my older brothers). It was stereo though.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes. Its still in the shrink. Sadly, there's no LP inside though lol. Wtf right? Found it at Salvation Army for 99c

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Ouch, that hurts. I have seen tons of Sell Out cut outs in the bins, but they were always stereo.

9. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Ahh

Better luck next time I suppose. It would be nice just to have an original mono cover though

10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Same with Nefertiti - the WLP has the stereo catalog number on the label but the label says "MONO" at the bottom (see my avatar) and the LP is definitely the mono mix.

fortherecord likes this.
  11. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's another one; It was stated on Chris Carter's "Breakfast with The Beatles" here that some form of tape.....don't know if it's a reel or 4 track cartridge...is supposed to have a fold of "Abbey Road", U.K. of course. Now I've actually at least seen that the Stones' "Let it Bleed" mono made it to vinyl there, but what about the early Apple product? If the White Album was put out, did anyone catch if Mary Hopkin's "Post Card" caught the fold treatment as well?

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Definitely '67.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I remember once seeing a stock U.S. copy of Vanilla Fudge the Beat Goes On (released Feb. '68).

hoover537 and Mister Charlie like this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On the back of Festival albums in Australia they used to list mono albums like Deja Vu, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Green River and Bayou County which I've never seen in all my years of looking at vinyl.

Ash76 likes this.
  15. chacha

I've seen that one too

16. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Finally, one I have. I think I've seen it around since I bought it, too, and it's never been pricey.

Aftermath likes this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Think it's a UK? I've been tempted to pay the high price for a USA mono of this online. I'd hate for it to sound as bad as the stereo cut. Someone really needs to reissue this from the original tapes, even if they have to use the single master tapes. The ones I've heard sound decent.

18. chacha

Where have you seen a US stock mono of this? I've only heard of a mono WLP of Nancy & Lee.

19. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

The picture I used was taken from Google Images hence your query.
    My album is on the London label, serial no. HAU 8376 with mono below a small White Whale logo all in an inner sleeve with the red MONO border. Is it a fold down? I would not know. All I do know is it sounds so much better than the (ahem) digitally acquired CD I have. :)

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I always understood it to be a fold-down. I am curious if they used the mono single sources for certain tracks. If there's a lot of reverb on Kaylan's vocal for "Eleanor," they may be using the single sources at least. I'm doubting they'd have gone to that much trouble back then though.

21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Oh I haven't. I've thought about getting one off discogs. I didn't realize it was only white label promos out there beyond the UK fold.

22. chacha

That I'm not sure of but it seems to be the case. I've never seen a stock copy but maybe they exist.

23. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

I've certainly seem a few UK mono Days of Future past, several times as it surprised me as I had always though it was a stereo only " DSS stereo demonstration record. I think I've seen the Feliciano too on a " 45 " label orange RCA mono too but I am not as sure as that as I am on the Moodies..

24. muffmasterh

Easy-E likes this.
  25. muffmasterh

that surprises me on the classical, in the UK i think they stopped issuing mono classicals around 1967