1968 Mono; Anyone seen these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Mar 26, 2015.

1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Birds & bees in the UK is more common in mono than stereo, however i am not sure if the UK is a fold ....

2. muffmasterh

pps I am listing tonight a UK Johnny Cash at San Quentin mono...i have never seen that in mono before but i would assume it is a fold though.

UK also issued Nashville Skyline in mono too, in 1969 UK CBS took to actually putting MONO on the labels, this was not the norm at all, usually the UK companies default was mono and only stereo's had -[ stereo ]- on the label, mono's were left blank so this was an unusual move from UK CBS and only I think for their 1969 releases...

3. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Yes maybe the major labels but the budget lot carry on well up to 1970, maybe beyond.

4. muffmasterh

yes but would not the budget jobs usually be rehashes of earlier recordings from the main labels ?

5. muffmasterh

it does exist although i am not sure if it was a fold.....the early stereo copies use stickered mono sleeves..

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I had a needle dropped CDR made for me. I believe the owner said its not a fold.

8. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

The soundtrack to Elvis Presley's "Speedway" was released in mono. Seems to go for decent money too.

It's a fold down though, right?

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

I have never seen one but I am sure Abbey Road was issued as a mono open reel tape here in the UK. The catalogue number was TA-PMC 7088. Let It Be had similar treatment. Both were folds. Ringo Starr's Sentimental Journey definitely was too...my mum's cousin had it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

If it was released in mono by RCA I would bet it's dedicated.

11. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Me three.

chacha likes this.
  12. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Ah, but you need the UK mono!

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The UK mono is a fold for sure.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I like the Decca mastering for Sell Out a lot.

fortherecord and Paul K like this.
  15. veejaycollector

veejaycollector Forum Resident

Paul and Linda McCartney Ram Mono LP. One of the rarest out there. Supposedly sent in a standard jacket to radio stations to promote the LP.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. veejaycollector

veejaycollector Forum Resident

The US MONO LP for The Monkees The Birds, The Bees and The Monkees. One of THE rarest Mono LPs out there. Period.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

AFAIK it was only pressed in the UK when it first came out. I bought mine as an import long before the US version was released. Seeing how the UK was not as far along as the US in the mono phaseout in'69 there probably is a UK mono.

How popular was Elton in the UK back then? Did his first album sell well before he broke out in the U.S.A.?

18. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Is "Hazy Shade of Winter" the original single mix on your mono Bookends? They performed a bit of revisionism when the stereo mix was made.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I believe many years ago several folks spoke up about the Mono empty sky and said that the cover said mono but it actually was stereo.

Now the first UK James Taylor was definitely identified as mono.

20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Is the mono Byrd Brothers really that rare? I picked up a VG+ copy for around $20 a few months ago with minimal hunting.

There's a copy on ebay right now - Buy It Now for $12 - doesn't look to be in the greatest of shape, but you never know (it says VG+, FWIW). So if anybody's been looking for a copy, you might want to give this one a shot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Byrds-T...173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4e14eef5

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Sorry....until I see one--or even a PICTURE of one, it doesn't exist to me. The existence of a Mono HAIR has long been discussed here, and it is of general assumption that the mono issue got the axe in the 11th hour, and never made it past the designations on the cover slicks. Black Label stereo copies are rare but they're out there (I own one and have sold one on this very forum), but unless you've actually seen one or have photographic proof, then it get's filed alongside the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, and any given man who says that he's dating Ellen DeGeneres. ;)

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Right, US mono pressings were history by the time the orange label debuted.

23. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

And in case you were wondering, here is a black label stereo copy:

[​IMG]

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That my friend, is a blast from my past. Detroit's cast of Hair was literally at the end of my brothers block.

WMTC likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think I scored a good one last night: The Righteous Brothers, "One For the Road"-- 1968 release on Verve. Has a yellow label with a sticker saying DJ-only monaural. Anyone know the details on this one?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015