1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

Surferghost, Clanceman and zphage like this.
  2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It has a different set of lyrics written by Keith Relf:

seed_drill likes this.
  3. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

If the deluxe had've been £150-£200 I probably would've grabbed it. £400 is Genesis Publications territory.

4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

So is this actually going to be for sale only from jimmypage.com?

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, you'll be able to get the regular editions at your local outlet or online store. Not sure though about the Super Deluxe edition; maybe that one will only be available exclusively.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

According to Jim McCarty, that will NOT have a vocal track.

7. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'll admit there's a small part of me that's going to miss the bullfight cheers when Page dives into the "I'm Confused" solo :D

Dondy, PsychGuy and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  8. YardByrd

Jimmy didn't contribute to Cumular... Jim and Chris got cold feet over including Knowing and vetoed its inclusion, hoping Jimmy would let the other stuff come out. Didn't matter. He quashed its release anyway.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    dkmonroe likes this.
  9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I have and heard 'Cumular Limit' recently and it's probably geared more towards the collector or completist. I think casual Yardbird fans might be a little let down by the '68 studio tracks but the live Yardbirds album from '71 was great and totally worth having. I love having 'Cumular Limit' so I could put together an album like The Ledbirds or the Yard Zeppelins LOL-it's great for those interested in the transition over to Zep.

But I also wonder if these are really short CD's cause I think it would be under 80 minutes total. "Dazed and Confused" or "I'm Confused" is not that long. I guess "Avron Knows" is now "Avron Eyes" as a title change too.

From Wiki:
    Cumular Limit is an album of previously unreleased live and studio recordings by English blues rock band The Yardbirds released in 2000. It features alternate versions of recordings from Little Games (#1, 6-9), live-recordings from Offenbach, 16 March 1967 (#2-5) and France TV ("Bouton Rouge", 9 March 1968,[1] #14) and previously unreleased material from New York (#10-13). The album was originally also scheduled to include "Knowing That I'm Losing You", an early version of the song that would later be re-recorded by Led Zeppelin as "Tangerine".

I would have liked more live recordings like these March '67 ones. That would have made a great 2nd CD instead of two short ones.

Arnold Grove and dkmonroe like this.
  10. YardByrd

Anybody have opinions on the engineer who mastered it?

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I thought that was the case - that's why I snapped up a copy the first time I saw it. I knew it wasn't long for this world. It's a great bootleggy comp, and the video performance is outstanding.

tmtomh, imawalrus and YardByrd like this.
  12. YardByrd

By the way, the only time the song was ever called "I'm Confused" was on the Epic LP. They tried an end run around Page and hoped to, um, confuse him by mis-titling it. The band always called it "Dazed and Confused" as evidenced on numerous bootlegs not to mention the MC on the Bouton Rouge show introducing it as "Dazed and Confused" as well as Brian Matthews using the proper title for the BBC radio show in March 68.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Is this only a JP.com exclusive?

Clanceman likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As mentioned:

No, you'll be able to get the regular editions at your local outlet or online store. Not sure though about the Super Deluxe edition; maybe that one will only be available exclusively.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Sorry, I missed that part. Thanks.

Clanceman and RPOZ51 like this.
  16. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

If I knew my wife wouldn't divorce me for buying this, I'd probably buy the signed version:

Yardbirds '68 - Signed deluxe box set (Pre-order)

“We thought this might be lost forever, but we’ve rediscovered it, re-mixed it. It’s of great historical importance. We’re delighted to see the release.”
    - Jim McCarty, Chris Dreja and Jimmy Page

Details
    Sleeve hand-signed by Jimmy Page, Jim McCarty and Chris Dreja
    2 x Heavyweight 180g Vinyls
    2 x CDs
    1 x Deluxe art book with liner notes from The Yardbirds
    1 x Deluxe box

Tracklisting
    LIVE AT ANDERSON THEATER
    Train Kept A Rollin’
    Mr, You’re A Better Man Than I
    Heart Full of Soul
    Dazed And Confused
    My Baby
    Over Under Sideways Down
    Drinking Muddy Water
    Shapes of Things
    White Summer
    I’m A Man (contains Moanin’ And Sobbin’)

STUDIO SKETCHES
    Avron Knows
    Spanish Blood
    Knowing That I’m Losing You (Tangerine)
    Taking A Hold On Me
    Drinking Muddy Water (Version Two)
    My Baby
    Avron’s Eyes
    Spanish Blood (Instr.)

Pre-order open now
    Release date: 5th November 2017
    Available exclusively via JimmyPage.com

Silver Surfer and michanes like this.
  17. They were from the aborted Columbia studio sessions in '68. Just about all of them were released on a archive release called "Cumular Limit" about 17 years ago, which of course Pagey had pulled from the market. They are just unfinished rough mixes and they are very interesting.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  18. YardByrd

The Cumular Limit versions were rough mixes. These will be real mixes since Page had access to the multi-tracks.

cement_head likes this.
  19. So is he adding stuff to them then? They were never finished...I mean I like them a lot but their pretty ****ty and not complete.

20. YardByrd

I haven't heard anything about new overdubs, which would make me vomit... some definitely didn't have vocal trax... as for the others, we'll know soon if the Cumular versions included all parts... the Cumular versions were rough mixes Bob Irwin did after discovering the sessions in a vault. He had no intention of them being released. He let a Yardbird biographer hear them, who promised not to share them with anybody except McCarty and Dreja. They were then passed on to the label (same folks that did the Glimpses boxset) as they were (on cassette)... so, at the least we should hear a huge sonic upgrade... even if the songs aren't fully produced.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Thanks for the info. I always wondered how they got out.

22. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Do you have a source for this? Not trying to start something, I'm genuinely curious. Everything I've seen for all formats says their available exclusively at JimmyPage.com, so I preordered through there. Would definitely love to grab it through Bull Moose or something

Clanceman and YardByrd like this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"You Stole My Love" isn't on this … pretty cool unfinished track
    but smacks of '67 … AWFUL cover. The originals were better.
    I'd prefer the original "Live" art but even the "CL" art's better.

YardByrd likes this.
  24. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Samples please, Jimmy!!!

25. YardByrd

The original woodcut cover for Live is classic. Would have thought it would be a no-brainer...