1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As posted earlier, this advert lists two shows (8 and 11 pm):

[​IMG]

Dondy likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Thanks.

3. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yep, that it the poster I meant - and I stand CORRECTED! Sorry, my mem'ry doesn't serve me too well these days, seemingly! :hide: Thanks for clearing that up, mate! Wonder which of the two shows is the one on the album and if there is PERHAPS also the other show somewhere in the Epic vaults?

4. Arnold Grove

It is possible that only 1 show was taped. It's also possible that the Live Yardbirds album used songs from both shows, and used whichever version was better. I don't know.

5. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

It MAY indeed be that both shows were recorded but I've never heard/read of that; everybody involved has always talked of "the" show.
    Too, the circulating (low-fi) audience recording is the same show as on the LP and thereby proves the album is not a matrix of two shows.

BTW, the poster does announce two shows but we (I, for that mattter) can't tell if the band really did both - it MAY be that one was cancelled if the ticket sales were too slow or so. Just speculating, of course...

6. Arnold Grove

Interesting. I guess the specifics and details of the show or shows at the Anderson Theater will be mentioned in the liner notes if a new set is indeed forthcoming in 2017.

7. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, I just re-read the respective paragraph in the latest (2011) edition of Greg Russo's "Ultimate Rave-Up" Yardbirds Book (p.99f):
    The two shows at 8 and 11pm respectively were intitally planned and announced in the "Village Voice" newspaper with The Chambers Brothers as the headliner and The Yardbirds as the (sole) support act. However the Brothers obviously backed out early on so The Yarbirds were promoted to headlining status.

It may seem that the promoter (not Bill Graham, obviously and unfortunately) may have regarded The Yardbirds as not strong enough an act to fill his venue, at least not twice on one night so he added two support acts. Eventually, the two show agreement was narrowed down to only a single realised show for reasons we can only speculate about. Russo reveals that the show was adversised a few time but not any longer in the last issue of "Village Voice" before the show, and he thinks that may simply have not been necessary as the 500-seater had already sold out.

So, with only one show at 8pm, and March 30 being a Saturday night with obviously no curfew (because the 2nd show would have started at 11pm), it may seem there wouldn't have been a problem to have The Yarbirds play their entire set, right? Hence I can only speculate on why the band did only such a - for a headliner - heavily abbreviated show - which also squashes any hopes for more unused material somewhere in the vaults, of course.

My idea is that since the band were initially booked as a support act, the contract and the fee may have been specified for a shortened support show of 45 minutes and both parties retained that agreement despite the band's change of status. How brainy does that sound?

Yardbirds ahoy!
    Th:)mas

8. Arnold Grove

Thanks for delving into this. It is always hard to recreate scenarios from poorly documened events, especially when they occurred in 1968, but you laid out a logical line of thought.

Dondy likes this.
  9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

McCarty just wrote in his Facebook page that this will be a box set. No other details as of yet.

10. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Excellent! He had mentioned that it was a possibility but it appears to be more definite now.

I hope this is officially announced with a release date soon, this is currently my most anticipated release

YardByrd likes this.
  11. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Ditto!
    Wonder what they may have undug to make this a boxed set... The audience recording as an alternate source? That thing's sound quality won't really qualify for an official release, though. :nyah:
    The April 1968 NYC studio recordings again, perhaps - plus "Knowing That I'm Losing You" this time around? On an accompanying DVD the complete March 1968 Baton Rouge TV appearance? The May 1968 "Upbeat" appearance with the studio "Heart Full Of Soul"? The March 1967 "Beat, Beat Beat" performance again and Swedish Radio? Just dreaming aloud, mates! ;)

skydropco likes this.
  12. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

At the very least, it will be the Anderson show and the following week's studio session (no idea about "Knowing That I'm Losing You" but since the 50 year EU rule will kick in for that in 2018 I would bet we do see it).

Dondy likes this.
  13. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Kewl ... yet, seems overkill.

On one of my boots, there's a poorly recorded "Dazed ..."
    with a more aggressive guitar than this version. Dunno what
    date. Seriously doubt there's another better.

14. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

^^^The poorly recorded "Dazed" is probably the BBC version. Here's the old version: which was on a few boots and even official releases.

Thankfully in 2011 a much better version was released on "Radio Tymes": TOP SOUNDS :: RADIO TYMES ». It sounds like this: The Yardbirds: Dazed & Confused ». Not audiophile but a huge improvement.

This is the best recording and performance of the song I'm aware of.

Hopefully the Bouton Rouge performance will also be included on this release: The Yardbirds - Dazed and Confused (Studio version) ». See YouTube for video. Jimmy is not impressed by the announcer, after he introduces Jim "McCarthy": The Yardbirds live at Bouton Rouge - March 9, 1968. ».

Crimson Witch and Dondy like this.
  15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

CD1: Original Mix w/bullfight cheers
    CD2: New mix w/o bullfight cheers
    CD3: Bullfight cheers only track
    DVD/BluRay: Video of bullfight the cheers were taken from
    Hardcover book with pictures from the era and a short history of bullfighting.
    Marbles and miniature red bullfighting flag

16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yep, that's it! MUCH improved, we're extremely lucky.
    If there's an even better source, that should be the definitive
    version by The Yardbirds.

17. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

I can only agree on the three RADIO TYMES tracks (THINK ABOUT IT, WHITE SUMMER, DAZED & CONFUSED, rec. March 6, aired March 10, 1968). They sound as good as it gets, on that disc, and a lot better than on the "Glimpses" box. Alas, that CD seems to be deleted, these days. One may wonder why the 3 numbers were not released on "On Air" and the other subsequent BBC compilations, esp. the lastest (and excellent) version on Repertoire. Now, all that BBC material stems from BBC Transcription Discs - hence the top notch quality - and the three numbers in question were not issued within that vinyl disc series - most likely because the three tracks the band had recorded the day before (THINK ABOUT IT, GOODNIGHT SWEET JOSEPHINE, MY BABY; rec. March 5, aired March 16) were.
    Yardbirds ahoy!
    Th:)mas

18. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Hahaha, cool! How about adding a photo series of Jimmy Page fuming like a raging bull when he learned about the 1971 and 1976 releases? :)

19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

X-rays of bootleggers gored by Peter Grant.

20. Arnold Grove

;)
    [​IMG] ;)

fr in sc and Dondy like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Over Under Sideways Down:

[​IMG]

;)

22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

We're defintiely getting closer!

How about pix of Micky Most being pilloried for killing the Yardbirds - and/or including a wallpaper size poster of this awesome bootleg cover:
    According to TMOQ's house cover artist William Stout, the weasel in the background on the cover that is killing off the goose that laid the golden egg, is supposed to represent Mickie Most. Stout felt that Most had steered the group away from their blues rock origins towards recording pop material, which, in Stout's opinion, was detrimental towards their career and did not illustrate their full potential. This guy was a real FAN who knew his stuff - and was absolutely right!
    If LIVE YARDBIRDS had been released in 1968 despite its flaws, it may have indeed restored the band's reputation after the subpar "Little Games" album and these goodawful US singles.

[​IMG]

23. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Yes, but I prefer the original compilation album cover on which this design was modeled (stolen).

[​IMG]

24. Arnold Grove

Nice cover too. The artist/designer was James Grashow, who also did Jethro Tull's Stand Up LP cover:

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch, Dondy and Mickey2 like this.
  25. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

No, not stolen at all. The cover artwork for both LPs was done by the same artist, James Grashow who also designed Jethro Tull' STAND UP album.

Arnold, you beat me to it! Well done. :)