1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Weird, then... This was probably the last chance to get this track out properly, and he releases a version without lyrics/vocals?

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

There are two main theories behind that decision:

1. Jimmy doesn't want fans to know about the verse which was re-used for "Tangerine".

2. there is a dispute over the writing credit for the lyrics, so Jimmy is avoiding a confrontation by eliminating the vocals.

Personally, I think that #1 would be pretty dumb if true (pretty much everyone knows about those lyrics by now), and #2 could be resolved pretty easily if all parties were willing to compromise a bit. If the Relf estate is holding out because they think they can acquire 50% of the royalties for "Tangerine", then I think they're fooling themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

OR:
    3. Jimmy is embarrassed now by the lyrics, or never liked them. So he just deleted them from the released version. He also removed a verse from one of the "Spanish Blood" takes as well, so he wasn't shy in cutting things out.

Personally, I don't think that the Relf estate is even remotely going to dispute anything. In fact, at this stage, they are probably happy to have an official release of his material.

LordThanos1969 and tmtomh like this.
  4. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Still waiting for my vinyl to arrive.... Shipped over two weeks ago from across the pond.... How long 'til I should be concerned?

Been hoping for this release since I first heard the Epic LP around '84.

5. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Mine was shipped on Nov 15. Still waiting.

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Maybe he's saving the vocal version for a special RSD 7" single release?

:(

7. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Ordered the CD package from Jimmy's web site and even the order sheet enclosed confirms that, but got the vinyl instead. Maybe by second mistake they'll send me the corrected live CD!

No matter, the vinyl was dead quiet and sounded amazing, what a concert and recording despite all the mentioned issues 49+ years ago. Especially love the drum sound. Page got such fat sound from his Tele!

YardByrd and tmtomh like this.
  8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I think mine is coming via carrier pigeon.

9. Arnold Grove

With only one wing. A normal two-winged pigeon would have arrived by now. ;)

Guitarded likes this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I can understand the logic of cutting the 2nd verse of "Spanish Blood", because it was just a duplicate of lyrics from the 1st verse (McCarty lost his place on the lyric sheet and started reading from the wrong spot!) But that logic wouldn't apply to "Knowing That I'm Losing You". There's really no good reason to delete those lyrics -- even if you believe that they're "embarrassing", I'd say that they're no more embarrassing than the lyrics to "Taking A Hold On Me".

Flippikat and John Fell like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

I don't know. You need to ask Jimmy if "logic" had anything to do with his decision ... ;)

12. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

In the book Jim and Chris wrote with Platt they say they did a few UK gigs after the US Tour; I think they were advertised for a benefit at the Middle Earth in London on July 12 but since everyone remembers Luton as the last gig the Middle Earth one probably didn't happen.

13. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I saw Eddie yesterday and I think I’ve persuaded him to undertake another meticulous forensic dissection. Keep an eye on the site: www.thegardentapes.co.uk

14. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Maybe not the lyrics, but the vocals are embarrassingly weak, particularly the chorus, which is staggeringly inept for a professional band. They detract hugely from what is otherwise a quite beautiful piece of music, almost rendering it a comedy piece. IMO.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I was trying to remember that guy's site last week when talking about Page cutting out segments from the live show. The last time I saw it was about fifteen years ago. Page was reputedly impressed by the guy's examination of the editing.

As no one (here, at least?) has heard the 2nd recorded Anderson show in its entirety, I have to wonder if Page added anything (notes, licks, beats, audience noises) from that 2nd show into the 1st show for this release - aside from 'White Summer'. From all reports and indications thus far, Page just worked with what he had from the 1st show and cleaved off the portions he wanted out.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Just received my Replacement Disc 1 notification from JP.com today. They're supposed to ship it later this week.

Mark

tmtomh and Crimson Witch like this.
  17. WyattAARP

WyattAARP Forum Resident

I haven't received an email from them (I did originally order it from the site). Do you need to notify them by email that you want a replacement?

18. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Correct as far as I'm concerned!
    It does sound a bit odd for me that for the original Epic LP, the powers-that-be at Epic must have decided to still use the WHITE SUMMER version from the first show although Jimmy's guitar goes out of tune on it while they had the better sounding version from the 2nd show at hand - which Big J. had no problem using for his CD for good reason.

tmtomh, notesfrom and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I contacted the shop last week and they got back to me earlier today.

Dear David

It was recently brought to our attention that a recent batch of Yardbirds '68 CDs had suffered an audio glitch during the track Over Under Sideways Down on CD1 at around 02:14.

This issue does not affect the vinyl or Deluxe edition releases of Yardbirds '68.

We have identified the issue and we will be replacing the first CD from Yardbirds '68 (CD edition), free of charge, to you if your product has been affected.

We will be shipping a replacement disc in a clear plastic wallet to your original postal address later this week and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please disregard the original faulty CD1 and replace it with this new version.

We thank you for your continued loyal custom and patience while we have investigated this matter.

The JimmyPage.com Team

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just wondering -- did anyone here order and receive the deluxe signed box set version of this?

If so, it'd be great to see some pics.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I did send them an email. I was going to reply to one of their original emails so they could see & reference my order, but the email had expired.

So I scanned my packing slip from the first set and copied into the email. Don't know if that was necessary but just to be safe.

I got their email address from their Store page.

Mark

22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Mark, which email address did you use? I sent one to the store, but got no reply. Thanks!

23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Mine took 10 business days to get to the East Coast, very close to NYC -- all the way out in Victoria yours might take a couple days longer.

It was worth the wait for me, though they do have to fix the live CD and I trust they will.

24. David67

David67 Forum Resident

sharedon and tmtomh like this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I was initially waiting to order it. And when I heard about 'the glitch', well, that had me put the order on hold further.

If ordering directly from JP.com now - I wonder if they'll send you the corrected disc alongside the sealed '68 package (is it sealed?) Or will they break into the '68 package and replace the disc themselves? (Will the bad disc become a collector's item? haha).

Has anyone else ordered this since JP.com became aware of the problem, and got their '68 package yet that came with a replacement disc (alongside the bad disc or in place of the bad disc?)?

I can't wait to hear the Anderson show blasted out in hi-enough-fidelity, but curious as to how JP.com handles this for post-glitch buyers.