1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I never bought the CD set, and I never emailed the JP Shop, and I still got a replacement CD sent to me. Jimmy Page is just the nazz!!!! ;)

ishkabibble likes this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I received my replacement disc today. They also reimbursed my Amazon purchase. Thanks JimmyPage.com! :righton:

RockRoom and tmtomh like this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Wow, they comp'd you? Nice!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Do you recall what year this was released? Trying to find a copy.

Thanks!
    Mark

Lightworker likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Don't have it handy, but it's been discussed on previous Little Games threads. It's a '90s release.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

Anybody seen any magazine reviews of this release? Mojo, Rolling Stone etc.

7. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

No, but I haven't sought them out either. I can say using my own ears that this release is aces and a very nice addition to The Yardbirds canon. Keith in particular sounds killer on the live set and it's great to see this material get a long overdue and well deserved upgrade

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Thanks! Didn't realize every CD version is currently OOP.

You also mentioned the 2CD Sessions & More set. Can you (or anyone else) tell me if the first 10 original album songs are all in stereo? Are they the Ron Furmanek remixes?

I've seen conflicting info at Amazon, Discogs, back cover photos, etc. In the pics some of those 1st 10 tracks are called out as Stereo but others aren't.

Thanks to all for the help!

Mark

9. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Here is one "magazine" review.
    It's Psychedelic Baby Magazine: The Yardbirds - “Yardbirds ‘68” (2017) review

Excerpt:
    "The editing becomes apparent with “Dazed And Confused,” (retitled from “I’m Confused”) being shortened to six minutes, eight seconds, more than half a minute shorter than the original release. As for the sound, Page’s bowed guitar has never sounded so sweet, his distorted lead line much improved as well"

10. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

I used to own that but sold it, here IIRC. 99% sure the original album tracks are all remixes, in stereo. I thought they were ok but they sounded too "modern."

Mark Wilson likes this.
  11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The first 10 tracks on "Little Games Sessions & More" are in stereo and are listed as being new mixes.

tmtomh and Mark Wilson like this.
  12. karius

karius Forum Resident

Does anyone know who pressed/cut the vinyl edition? I don't recognize the pattern in the runouts:

• Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, etched): 107795-A-1 A1 JP
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, etched): 107795-B-1 B1
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side C, etched): 107795-C-1 C1
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side D, etched): 107795-D-1 D1

13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

And so .........yes, 1968 Yardbirds sessions saw release..:pleased:

14. YardByrd

Methinks Dreja is the unsung hero of this set... picks up the slack, which is no mean feat after Samwell-Smith... if Sam was a melodic monster, Dreja is a dynamo... so much energy... the perfect foil for Page...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    gd0, Overthehillsandfaraway and Bruso like this.
  15. YardByrd

16. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Cheers Yardbyrd. How is Chris now, I heard he had a stroke a couple of years back?

Also (I think there was a seperate thread but I can't find it) do any Yardbirds fans on here know if any more has come out regarding Rob Caiger's tweet back in January?

Rob Caiger on Twitter

He said new Yardies master tapes had been unearthed, but his recent tweets are just about a Humble Pie release for RSD etc.

YardByrd likes this.
  17. YardByrd

Chris was ok but I did have to draw on two pre-stroke interviews I had done years back as well to flesh out the entire story.

18. Overthehillsandfaraway

Thanks! Saw with a relative that recoveries from strokes are very individual and unpredictable. I wish Chris well, he's always an engaging interviewee. And him and Jim were there in the middle of that transformation from mostly R&B style guitar music to "heavier" bands, which is the most significant period in 20th century music in my book. So it's always interesting to hear their reminisces.

Bruso and YardByrd like this.
  19. YardByrd

He's a really good guy... I've interviewed him both in person and over the phone and he's always been so gracious - he shared pix that he himself took of the Page era for this new story; I haven't seen them myself yet since he gave them directly to the editor so I'm stoked... I have to say, the first time I met him about 20 years ago I was amazed by how much I towered over him... I'm only 6'1"... and he towers over the rest of the Yardies in pics from 1968... Page and Relf must be midgets!

Bruso and Overthehillsandfaraway like this.
  20. Overthehillsandfaraway

I posted before that a book of Chris' rock photos would be great. I'd buy it like a shot for the '67/8 era alone. He was taking photos as far back as '65: I remember him saying he sold snaps of the aftermath of the Watts riots to Time mag or someone. Maybe Chris has a few in this Zep photo book coming out in October?

Weird thing is, Page always looked tall in photos of Zeppelin, and I'm pretty sure Jones and Bonzo were not particularly short. Plant certainly isn't. Must be those long arms!

YardByrd and Bruso like this.
  21. YardByrd

look at the pics of them on the Bouton Rouge television show in France from March '68... Dreja is so much taller than Page, who is the size of pixie...

by the way, just sent McCarty and email about the Charly unreleased tapes you posted about above... we'll see what he says... it would be great if they were the RCA Hollywood sessions, which include "I'm A Man" before they did it again at Chess...

Overthehillsandfaraway and Bruso like this.
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, very late to the party here, but I just finally received a CD edition of this release.

Man, this is indeed like listening to entirely different show, the remix changes the whole feel/atmosphere of the show, and it is now closer to what actually went down at the Anderson Theatre that night.

It's taking some time to get used to actually! After listening to the Epic LP since the '80s and the Mooreland CD "reissue" since the beginning of the 21st century, I have to get my head the fact that the Anderson Theatre was not a large, cavernous, and tinny hall! It's funny -- my ears have actually grown accustomed to the "AM radio" sound of the original LP!

Great job on this remix/reissue -- I know there are some questionable edits, and it would have been nice to have the between-song banter, but this new release does justice to the power of the band.

tmtomh, marmalade166 and YardByrd like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ain't it great? It just might be the best musical representation of the Yardbirds.

But I still miss the bullfight cheers... ;)

24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Ha! True dat.

I have to accept the fact that the audience wasn't on stage cheering right into the live microphones at the beginning of each song as well!

tmtomh likes this.
  25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Hey, and my first disc has the glitch.

The address is [email protected] for a replacement, correct?

tmtomh likes this.