1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

If you have the July '67 Fillmore, I'd be surprised. There is a tape of it but unless the taper has leaked it, I only know three people who have heard it and two of them are Yardbirds. The only songs that have leaked from July '67 Fillmore are Glimpses (which is on YouTube) and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago, which is not.

2. YardByrd

Fillmore July '67 set two starts with Smokestack, which has the How Many More Times riff

hallucalation likes this.
  3. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

Hmm, three people have heard it, two of them are Yardbirds, you know the setlist but are not a Yardbird… How about putting more up on YouTube?

EdColeman likes this.
  4. YardByrd

Spinning this to celebrate the 52nd anniversary of show which took place last night...

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It's a great presentation of the material. If you think of it as a pure archive release, it's a bit lacking because of the edits. If you think of it as an "album" drawn from that night's shows, it's wonderful.

By the way, I definitely agree with others who said that the Drinking Muddy Water from the disk is a live version. It's remarkably similar to the performance on the live disk and you can perceive applause at the end. It makes much more sense that they didn't record it in the studio, when it was already on Little Games, than that they did. I wonder why Page didn't just present it as a bonus live track instead of pretending it was a studio recording.

6. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

I’m glad they released this, but was disappointed that my set had the glitch. I submitted a copy of the receipt as instructed (twice), but never received a replacement disc.

7. Which glitch are you referring to?

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

CD version only, CD 1 of the original pressing run, very end of one of the tracks (forget which at the moment), the final guitar sustain and/or audience applause has an approx. 0.1 second dropout. A minor thing but very jarring.

9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I think it's more than just a dropout, though -- it seems like someone either A) inserted .1 seconds of silence into the waveform, or B) replaced .1 seconds of music music with silence.

edit: I guess "dropout" can technically refer to any loss of sound. I'd always assumed that it only referred to a signal loss.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    tmtomh likes this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It's a good question what technically counts as a dropout - but you're right, it's clearly a digital-domain error. I think one or more folks looked into it at the time and concluded that it was what you've described as (B).

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I just realized I never received my replacement disc after sending multiple requests.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

It was during “Dazed and Confused”, which is the track I was most interested in. Plus, the second verse was edited out. Still, a great performance.

13. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I never got mine either. Oh, well.

14. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I didn't know Cumular Limit had been withdrawn. I'm glad I grabbed that back in 2000!

phillyal1 likes this.
  15. What was the email address used to request the replacement? Any idea if it’s corrected in new copies at retailers?

16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's weird. One e-mail and I got mine within a month or so.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, I remember there was no rhyme or reason to it. Some people got their replacements in a timely fashion, others never heard anything. I gave up on the whole thing after sending a few requests.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Glad I got my replacement, as I dropped my original in the car and it slipped down between the seat and center console and got all scratched up on the seat rail.

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I'm not sure if it was "withdrawn", or if it was "discontinued". Because I recall that it was available for quite a long time, maybe over a year.

20. Sorry to read that.

21. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The very first edition was indeed *withdrawn* rather quickly as it contained KNOWING THAT I'M LOSING YOU but Page had got wind of that and had his lawyers stop the release. The track was eventually removed and the 2nd edition was in production for a while before it was *discontinued*.
    Hope this helps more than it confuses. :)

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, Keith did alter the lyrics considerably and the arrangements are also different, if you compare closesly. Therefore, I've considered that recording may have been recorded live in the Columbia studios as a warm-up for their sessions with some studio staff in attendance whose clapping one can hear at the end of the song. Just speculating here, of course.
    Yardbirds ahoy!

23. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

There’s a version of Cumular Limit with “knowing that I’m losing you?” I never knew that! Got any pics?

24. YardByrd

There are NOT any Cumular Limits that include it. That was the plan but McCarty and Dreja balked at the last minute and told the company to delete it from the sequence.

swandown and Dondy like this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I initially thought that it was a studio warm up but the recording quality sounds, to me, exactly the same as on the live version and, although there are minor differences between each version, the performances are very, very similar. I think it's a stretch that there would be incidental studio clapping at the end of a studio warm up. Also, consider that there has never previously been any knowledge of a Drinking Muddy Water performance from those NYC studio tracks before this. I think the evidence is almost overwhelming that it's the other version from that night's concerts, rather that a studio take, whatever Jimmy has called it.