1969's withdrawn mix, Neil Young' debut and my personal favorite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The pictures are mis-labled. The common version has Peace Of Mind as the last track.

2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Ah, that makes more sense ! Thanks !

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks. Yes, Side 2 of my Canadian pressing also appears to be the original mix, with 30818 RS 6317 B -1D in the deadwax.

lemonade kid likes this.
  4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I have an orange/tan label with the Side 1 matrix ending in "-1B" (30817 RS 6317 A -1B) which apparently is also the remaster/remix, going strictly by "If I Could Have Her Tonight" - electric piano not prominent in the right channel. Which is odd, because a "-1C" is the original mix. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It's one of my favorites, how about that...:)

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  6. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Neil's catalog is so diverse, it's hard to pick just one, but this one is definitely in my top 5. Some days it's number. The tracks could have easily occupied the fourth, fifth, and sixth Buffalo Springfield albums.

reb likes this.
  7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I still love "The Loner."

8. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Lemonade Kid, does the S/T 2009 re-issue have the original mix or the remix on both sides since these were taken from the original analog masters? If not which S/T (steamboat)lp should I be searching for, matrix numbers and the deadwax numbers? This would be a US 1st pressing? You said they were about a $100 now on ebay? One other question on the ORS
    Vol.1, did Neil use the original mixes on the other 3 lps in this set? I know they said all were taken from the original analog masters. I missed purchasing the Vol.1. I'm purchasing the individual 2009 re-issues. Hope you can answer my questions? I'm very interested in this. Thanks!

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm guessing the remix, since I recall reading that for the Archives set Neil had to recreate the "Here We Are In The Years" original mix because he didn't have a tape source of it.

10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Bummer!

11. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Goldmine Price guide in 1996 lists prices below--you should be able to do better on eBay...maybe.

[​IMG]

The Withdrawn mix--I have two! Nice indeed. -- one I bought in 1968 and one I found in this century.
    First pressing in trail off # RS-6317

$150

[​IMG]

Remixed (at least four tracks are slightly to very different and altered from the first pressing) - released still in the original cover (no Neil Young header)
    Etched in the trail off # RS-6317 RE-1

$75

[​IMG]

Remix with "Neil Young" on cover
    Trail off # RS-6317 RE-1

$50

The USA releases above all must have the steamboat label below to meet those price guidelines---several members here have posted various unique pressings with one side having the withdrawn mix and the other with the remixed tracks. Those would have to be heard to identify & would likely be more valuable than just a complete album pressing of all remixed tracks...

Of course the withdrawn mix is the highest valued and the best to my ears. I have both pressings and will swear by the withdrawn mix--in spite of those doubters and audiophiles who hate the technology used to master it. Especially wonderful for the unique & beautiful original mixes.

[​IMG]

12. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

I can quote that reference, since the original poster could not (mind you, it might already have been referenced in the next five pages of this thread): on-screen "liner" notes for the BD Live download of the mix re-creation for "Here We Are in the Years", Neil Young Archives Volume 1 box set (Blu-Ray version). To my recollection, Neil specifically mentions here his regret in having replaced the original mix.

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this the withdrawn reissue recent mix ???

14. lemonade kid

You need to check the trail off number in the vinyl. the immediate reissue also looks like yours...see above for numbers.
    You can also know by listening--find the comparisons above, youtube examples --especially "Here We Are In The Years"--the remix fades out very early, no mechanical heartbeat -like ending.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

Thank you. I knew I read it somewhere.

16. BarneyRubble

You're welcome! Mind you, I believe the regret was only for HWAitY: I believe this thread was my first time finding out other songs on what may be my favorite Neil Young album were also remixed after the first pressing. The first time I heard the original mix to HWAitY was from an original, well-kept Haeco-CSG copy on a very high-end system: I chuckled upon first hearing the organ, was stirred when the orchestra started moving in, and then my jaw dropped with the rhythm section at the beginning of the bridge. No looking back. :) (And I don't remember noticing any muddiness to the mix...)

awsop likes this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

One thing about "The Loner": It certainly showed Neil's ability to write interesting pop/folk-rock without imitating others...now "Mr. Soul" is a great song, too...but a little too close for comfort with "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by The Stones...a nice tip of the hat to them, I am guessing...
    But "The Loner" is unique...especially the cellos and what they're doing all through the song...good stuff.

ExHead and Jamey K like this.
  18. lemonade kid

I also love that original mix--it has so much more to it. I had never heard the remix until 2003. Hearing the remix did not sway me. I was always blissfully happy with my withdrawn mix vinyl that I purchased in 1968--I will listen to no other!.

The remixed HWAinY is so heavy on the guitar line that drowns out the piano and strings, repeated ad nauseam, that it drives me crazy. The withdrawn mix is so wonderful on that track -- the strings and piano are perfect with the guitar line appropriately in the background.

I also have a remixed vinyl without the NEIL YOUNG across the top (purchased only for a NM cover), but never listen to it. How could we, right?!

How could Neil mix out that final piano chord and that ominous machine-like heartbeat sound, fading away into the silence? I even gave away the remastered Archives release on CD--I had hoped it would be the original withdrawn mix -- remastered. NOT.

Here is that wonderful withdrawn track...one more time! :tiphat:

The other most glaring and objectionable remix that stands out (for me) was on the next track on side two: "What Did You Do To My Life"....the original was a straightforward wonderful Neil tune--the remix a echo/reverb mess to my ears.

Original What Did You Do To My Life
    Neil Young - What Did You Do To My Life? (Original Mix)

remixed version
    What Did You Do to My Life? (Remastered)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    ExHead, Spadeygrove and Vinyl Socks like this.
  19. lemonade kid

Yes...amazing.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

:targettiphat:

Spadeygrove likes this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Buzzing guitars Neil is my favourite Neil.

Tropehjelm and Vinyl Socks like this.
  22. BarneyRubble

What I find most amazing about that album is its feeling which sounds both dated and timeless, as nostalgic as a rusted child's tricycle in a summer field, as (slightly) spooky as an old Kodachrome photo with something blurry on the edge... it's a feeling Neil has never duplicated on any release ever since (perhaps purposedly... the closest he gets to it are in acoustic-led tracks such as "Ride My Llama" and "War of Man", although these tracks are more soothing and hardly spooky/"unsettling" at all). Almost all of Side 1 has this feel, and two or three tracks on the second side as well (depending on the mix... in case you weren't aware ;) ). For the record, I, too, thought little of "The Last Time to Tulsa" until recently.

23. lemonade kid

In 1968 "Last Trip To Tulsa" was a really unusual track, though it may not seem so much so to newer listeners who discovered this album decades later. Loved it then, love it now.

No druggy trip or inner meanings--it is really no more than a strange dream put to music by Neil...something like we all have experienced in our sleep....and Neil so, it was just a dream he had dreamed, put to music (and I'm counting on you guys to tell me where I read that also ).

:tiphat:

BarneyRubble likes this.
  24. BarneyRubble

No clue. Recorded banter on the "Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House" NYA release?

25. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I love the fuzzed out guitar tones on this record. I read somewhere it's a direct line into the board, overdriven to the max. True? It's on the Springfield records, too, but he never used it again after this one. It is so...warm and fuzzy. Really adds to the overall atmosphere.

I know I've heard this tone on tracks by other artists, but none come to mind right now except "revolution," which is similar. Who else used it?

Sidewinder43 and lemonade kid like this.