1969's withdrawn mix, Neil Young' debut and my personal favorite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 9, 2016.

1. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

This is my favorite Neil Young album.

lax luthior and Sidewinder43 like this.
  2. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

One of my fave Neil Albums, So its just the 4 tracks then that are the original mixes then, also are there any other recordings from the sessions other than Birds and EKTIK that came to us via NYA vol.1 ?

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Nice. my favorite too. It was his first of course, and in 1968 it had that Innocent Age vibe. Neil was still in Buffalo Springfield (off and on) when he first started to record tracks for this solo effort, withholding them from the Springfield. He knew he was going to places beyond Springfield, & his freshman solo album transcended anything he had done so far....

My favorite, indeed.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

1969 0f course...January. I keep thiking 1968 because it was all recorded in '68 I guess

5. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

He actually started a different first album, one about 'High School' feelings, although there had been some ongoing recording with Jack with leftover song ideas..

6. lemonade kid

Thanks. Glad Neil grew into this one--his first solo effort. Love Jack's production and arrangements. Unique for the day and for any of Neil's albums. Guess that is why it s so special, to me anyway!

(Jack Nitzsche was a specially talented arranger that was able to bridge classic and rock effortlessly). Love Jack's part in the first Crazy Horse album also!

(oh and thanks for your patience, one and all. I finally requested that the thread title be corrected to "1969's Withdrawn Mix...."!)

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Cassius likes this.
  7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

A special order CD containing the original mix and far more recognizable second mix where neither one has been futzed around with would be nice.

Or, has that already been put out in some form already?

8. lemonade kid

Not that I know of. Still waiting.

9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Yeah. Probably why I had to ask...never popped up on my radar because it would be an eventual buy.

I don't know. These guys with their catalogs and products associated are like any other on any given job. "Let's do this; it'll make the customer happy". Then the super says, "Nah, let's do this...because I got other s**t going on this week" Then you find out the super hasn't got jack s**t going on; he's just being a stick in the mud because he can.

10. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

Changed when Neil met David Briggs, who produced three-quarters of the first album, but yeah Love Jack, who was Crazy and Burned Bright!

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

This thread inspired me to dig out my copies of this classic LP, which consists of an original mix US copy, and an original UK on the tri-color steamboat label. I was pretty stunned at the difference, the U.K. was vastly superior to the US. First of all, it is the original mix, and as mentioned previously, it does not have the high end roll off that mars the US version. My copy also happens to be super clean and plays silently, a rarity for U.K. pressings of this era. And it is one heavy slab of vinyl! I can't say if it has the CSG applied to it, but it sounds so amazing it's hard to believe it was altered in any way---almost sounds like a flat transfer with Neil parked in my living room! I highly recommend tracking down this version if you are a fan of the original mix of this LP.

12. lemonade kid

Hmmm...something to check out--your Us vinyl is the withdrawn mix too? Mt US withdrawn mix sounds a ton better than the remix also

13. lemonade kid

Always time for his first LP--November skies make for great listening to his 1968 LP...and maybe, for me, his greatest early song. So fine.

ExHead, oxegen and JoeF. like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Luck you! I've seen that one (UK), but don't own the vinyl. My USA withdrawn mix plays beautifully and I love it still. I don't get the detractors, but then I am no audiophile (thankfully!), so I can appreciate it completely without getting technical or picky.

Gonna pick up a new TT and Amp for Christmas so I will be able to appreciate it anew!!

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Lemonade Kid, may I ask which one are you purchasing? I have been on the fence looking to buy a new TT. I like the Prime black turntable with the JMW-10 3D Tibetan so far.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What does a decent TT set you back these days $1000 bucks ?

17. lemonade kid

I am going to our local hi-fi stereo store...and get some advice. Good guys there. Yah, it'll set you back, but worth the price.

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  18. alexpop

I find a lot of people duck when taking selfies. Looks like the repair department

19. alexpop

My favorite as well.
    Still to find a hifi reference
    After The Goldrush.

20. lemonade kid

Still my fave. Taking a spin on my new TT!

alexpop likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A phenomenal line up of musicians and singers on this album. I love it. A total one off album, nothing else like it. I have the remastered CD which will be the remix, but at my parents house I also the first UK vinyl pressing, which I assume will be the original mix. I haven't played that for years and long before I knew it was remixed. I'll have to bring it back and listen.

22. lemonade kid

It is the entry hall were the techs give advice, take your unit to be repaired, and direct you to various parts of the store. Bought the Audio Technica LP120 TT, and a powerful used Yamaha amp/receiver. Upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon Red...which upgraded the sound by 1000%.

Although the LP120 didn't break the bank (thankfully), you have to spend at least $1200-1900 to get anything close to the features and sound that it has (not hyperbole!).

Same with the Ortofon Red--the best $100 I've ever spent on an audio component. Upgraded the sound like you wouldn't believe! All reviews rate it as the best for the money and you'd have to spend ten times as much to get anything close to its audio fidelity. of course I trashed the entry level cartridge that came with it---they would have better served to not include the cartridge like much more expensive TTs do.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    alexpop likes this.
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

It had the original mix. I didn't hear the remix until I got the CD, circa 1989.
    I had a slightly later pressing (not with the steamboat) that still had the original mix.

The original mix is wonderful, particularily 'Here We Are In The Years'. Love the album, very different from later Neil records.

'The Great Gig In The Sky' would not be the same had 'The Old Laughing Lady' not come first....

Man at C&A and lemonade kid like this.
  24. lemonade kid

WOW! Withdrawn mix even!

All so true! "Here We Are In The Years" with that heartbeat/machine sound fading out is so perfect. Couldn't believe it was cut when I heard the remix some 30 years later. It just fades the piano...so disappointing I never play it!

That UK Steamboat label is also the old pink and green...so cool! It was never released with that cool label over ere in the States! And can't believe"Everybody Knows This Is nowhere" is also on that iconic label -- UK only!!

[​IMG]

Just this on the first two LPs....

[​IMG]

25. lemonade kid

Did you get your vinyl copy from your folks? Definitely a treasure to...treasure!