1977..where were you musically?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Looking back nostalgically I was remembering sort of where it all started for me.In '77 I was sixteen and not in a place(smaller rural town) where one could call a music haven.In person or on the radio and had just got a all in one stereo.This released me from the shackles of AM radio.I was and still am do a lesser degree a hard rock fan.Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin were at the top of my playlist.Just for funzies it would be cool to hear where SHF members were at at the time.

Joti Cover and highway chile like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

In '77 I was split between Springsteen/Young on the one hand, and the troika of Costello/Parker/Jackson on the other...

2trackmind, mds, melstapler and 5 others like this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I was seven years old in '77 and Kiss was pretty much the only band on my radar. Within the next couple years, I'd discover Queen, AC/DC, Sabbath and Purple. Pretty much in that order.

gramfan likes this.
  4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

My 11 year old self was obsessed with Casey Kasem's Top 40. :)

5. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

13 years old. Realizing that there was something more than The Osmonds when my friend Brian started playing records from his collection for me: REVOLVER, BLONDE ON BLONDE, WHO'S NEXT..... My world would never be the same.

6. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Pistols, Damned, Beatles and Al Stewart.

7. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

'77. Second year of college. Music major. Was definitely into Chicago at that time.

Comet01 likes this.
  8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Technically, it was closer to 1979 when I discovered it but regardless, 39 years later and no one has come close to topping it... :)

Todd W., tspit74, Remy and 3 others like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I was 9 years old.
    Punk was only a picture on a magazine to me.
    I was FINALLY piecing together that the same guy who sang "Silly Love Songs" was the SAME GUY who sang "Good Day Sunshine", and was on all those 'old' Beatles songs that my aunt put on a reel-to-reel tape for me, AND, the same guy who sang "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"!

vitorbastos123 and Lonevej like this.
  10. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I was into Led Zep, Deep Purple, Yes & Genesis; as were all the people I knew a few years older than me.

Everyone a year younger than me was into this strange new thing called Punk & actively disliked everything I liked with the exception of Neil Young.

Strange times!

11. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Like the OP, I was 16 that year....

ELO and Steve Miller Band - had just released career-defining material
    KISS and Queen - a girlfriend's favorites...and then disco came along :sigh:
    Beach Boys and Beatles - stuff my parents could tolerate
    Bachman Turner Overdrive, Doobie Brothers, Elton John, Zeppelin, Heart, Floyd...

12. ronm

Yeah it was cool.Most younger peoples listening was top 40 KDZA until dark when that signal faded then it was KOMA out of OKC at night.Once album rock hit me I never paid much attention to AM radio.Great memories though in that early 70s AM broadcasts.Since most of us did not drive newer cars AM was all there was in a car.Until my Craig-Pioneer FM 8-track in '78.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    BeauZooka likes this.
  13. duggan

duggan Senior Member

The Clash, Graham Parker, Squeeze, The Stranglers.

14. Being six years old for most of the year, I was about here. But Kiss was right around the corner.

[​IMG]

15. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I was 13 and mainly into Top 40, but started gravitating to FM. I was really into Elton John and Peter Frampton.

Mom bought me a cassette of Rumours for my birthday (she asked the clerk at JC Penney which album all the kids were listening to) and I played it daily thereafter.

Bought my first issue of Rolling Stone that autumn (the 10th anniversary issue) and it literally served as a blueprint for where my explorations would head.

16. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Just got out of the Navy , just got divorced , full fledged into punk and new wave.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Saturday Night Fever and Barry Manilow.

hi_watt and The FRiNgE like this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

18-19. " Southern Rock."

Joti Cover, hi_watt, Todd W. and 2 others like this.
  19. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I bought the July issue of Hit Parader because the Beatles were on the cover. But the stories inside were about the Sex Pistols, Television, Clash, Ramones, etc. That issue changed everything for me.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Loads of great music to buy and catch live. Favourite band of all time is The Only Ones unsigned in 1977 with the single Lovers of Today out on their own Vengeance label. They played regularly throughout the year from May on (I think). Then there was The Clash, Siouxsie and Elvis Costello. Also got to see Television and Blondie and bought Marquee Moon and Little Johnny Jewel. Also 3 great Sex Pistols singles released that year along with the wonderful and still played regularly Spunk bootleg and NMTB album. And a special mention for the great Jonathan Richman before he was taken by aliens.

21. ronm

Even though it was a new time for me as far as listening I did see Lynyrd Skynrd at the Colorado Sunday #1 in '76 I believe.

22. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

I was 16 and deeply into progressive rock - Gentle Giant, Tull, the usual suspects - with a healthy side order of fusion. I had no interest in new wave until '79. Classical music has been a mainstay no matter what.

xilef regnu likes this.
  23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Zep, Nugent, Kiss, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Ramones, Stones, Tull, Foghat, Bob Seger, Bad Company. I was 16 too.

24. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I was 16 and that meant I could drive myself to the record store. I was into ELO, Boston, Heart, Ted Nugent. Best album in 1977 to me was Foghat Live! Saw them every time they came to DFW for years and years on into the 80's. If I go back in time and pick a house band to play at my club, it would be Foghat. Girls loved them. I still had a penchant for Neil Diamond (still do) that came from listening to my parents radio station (KVIL in Dallas). I grew up in an extremely religious household so it was always a battle. In 76 I had started to listen to FM102 (The precursor to Q102 in Dallas) and they were a free from, AOR radio station and it was there that I was getting my rock and roll education. I had a subscription to Rolling Stone too. I didn't know too many kids that didn't listen to mainstream rock though. In college, summer 1980, I roomed with a guy from Britain and he introduced me to Gary Numan, Brian Eno, and Van der Graaf Generator.

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I was three years old, and my favourite song (so I'm told) was Donna Summer's "I Feel Love".

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.