1979 JVC Receiver has recurring problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jose Jones, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member Thread Starter

I inherited my father's old JVC JRS-301 Receiver. It's been to shop twice now in about a month and they haven't been able to resolve this problem.

When you power it on, it does 'click' on but the green lights in the radio dial display flicker on and off rapidly. Sometimes it eventually powers up normally, but more often this problem worsens until it is clicking off and on in succession.

The first time it went to the shop, they didn't replace any parts but got it working....for about 2 days, and then the same problem returned.....but each subsequent day would be worse than one before. I've never seen electronics act like this before---it's almost like a living person or animal slowly worsening by the day. After a week or so, it wouldn't power up fully at all and just kept doing the flickering light-clicking off/on issue.

Back to the shop it went. They kept it a week or so, and then told me that they replaced the push-button power switch and then ran it for 3 days after and it was fine. I picked it up and tested it for a week and everything seemed normal.

Just yesterday, I turned it on and it was back to the same flickering light thing and when it clicked on, there was audible distortion present even though it was producing sound.

I am not going back to this particular shop after I get the JVC 301 fixed, but I have $160 into this thing already and they only warranty their labor for 30 days, so I have to bring it back there again or eat that.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be the problem here? I have a hunch that the power supply is corrupted somehow, but if the filter caps were bad, wouldn't there be a bad hum problem too? When it's working right, it sounds real good.

2. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Recap the power supply. Don't operate the device until fresh electrolytics have been installed throughout. You could do this yourself and it won't cost but a few dollars.

If this is not done something proprietary or unobtanium is going to get roasted or zapped and then it will be a doorstop.

Jose Jones likes this.
  3. Jose Jones

*Update*

Took the unit back to shop today. Tech insisted that my problems could not be due to bad caps in the power supply. Left it at the shop.

They called me back a few minutes ago saying that the power switch was arcing and needed to be replaced. I replied that I was told when I picked up it last time (trip #2 to shop) that this switch had been replaced. "Oh no, we just cleaned it last time, didn't replace it. Now we have to replace it."

They wanted 3 more hour of labor + the cost of the switch. They tried to tell me that this is a 'new' problem, and that the labor paid for by me thus far wouldn't count towards this switch replacement. I replied that I would be picking up the unit then and wanted a full refund.......to which they said they would refund half of it, but not the initial $80 deposit I paid to have them look at it. I told them they needed to honor their 30 day warranty and either fix it or refund my money.

Shop calls back 15 minutes later and offers to do the switch replacement for 1 additional hour of labor. I tell them the same thing----I am not paying them anything more and they can either fix it now or refund my money and return the unit and I told them to have the owner of the shop call me back for any further discussions.

4. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Good luck...........might be best to find a different shop. I'm very lucky to have techs around here that I can trust. No doubt I wouldn't have near the amount of vintage gear if I didn't.

Hopefully the shop owner will dig in to this and do what's right.

5. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

This is why an itemized bill or invoice is important. That way it's in writing.

Unfortunately (and I don't begrudge them) the cost of keeping the lights on and the rest of it makes labor rates pretty steep. You'll simply have to learn to solder and do basic maintenance and repair to make it worthwhile. Even then, it's a kind of labor of love thing. Economically, it makes no sense to take that stuff into a shop. They have to charge $80 bucks just to look at it or they'll go belly up. The customer gets pissed, etc.

6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Personally, I would replace the switch AND recap the power supply. An amp that is nearly 40 years old should have new caps installed. However, I would caution against doing the work yourself, unless you are experienced with electronics and know the hazards of working with capacitors.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I have this receiver. I'm using it on my tv speakers now. One day I cleaned the pots thoroughly with de-oxit. This required pushing the switches back and forth/on and off, etc. until they were well lubricated. Well, when I turned it back on, it would power on and off by itself like it was possessed. This went on for so many days that I quit on it and put it away. Months later, I checked it again before donating it. It worked ! Have you cleaned it and abused the switches? If so, the problem might take care of itself.

As for repairs, you should keep in mind the cost of a new vintage receiver. Is this the ultimate receiver for you? It does provide nice, clean power, but I would reserve repairs for a Marantz or high-end pioneer. But whatever makes you happy. Good luck. The vintage gear is so satisfying, yet frustrating. But I'm still all in on vintage.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I owned a 201 for a short while in the 80s. Deffo worth repairing/keeping.

9. Jose Jones

*Update #2*

Manager of Shop called me this morning. Said they would replace the power switch for the cost of $45 for the part. No additional labor charged. I told them to go ahead and get it fixed. I am hoping that this is the final repair needed.

Mitsuman likes this.
  10. Jose Jones

I had a TV like that in my basement a few years ago; I posted about it on this board. It would turn on by itself and worse, it would turn on at full volume on a non-receptive channel, so it was a very startling loud white noise sound.

It is not. But, I accompanied my father to the store when I was 13 years old when he bought it new, and I have a sentimental attachment to it; I cranked many a record or tape through it growing up.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It sounds like it is your ultimate receiver. And for good reason. :righton:

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Smart move on his part, he tore his tech a new one instead of tearing his customer a new one. I wouldn't use them again. Cool receiver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.