1982's "The Verdict" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I love the movie, but totally agree. Some very, very basic mistakes and non-credible moments that even us non-lawyers recognize.

Perhaps most fundamental is the way the judge allows the pivotal testimony to come out and then overrules himself -- with the damage already done. Obvious, obvious grounds for a mistrial. The defendants would have appealed about ten minutes after the verdict, and would have won the appeal.

mrjinks and JimC like this.
  2. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

James Mason could play a great creep.

jriems, wave, Paul J and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are precedents for David Mamet getting things wrong in screenplays before...

4. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I love this movie, brilliant from start to finish. Not my favorite Newman movie because he made so many great ones but he should have won an Oscar for this and for at least 4 or 5 other movies too. He was an awesome actor. It is in my TOP FIVE for sure.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember the local paper doing an analysis on the ending (written by a lawyer) and he pretty much called it one of the most ludicrous and silly endings to a legal movie he ever saw.

6. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I think it is his best performance.

JimC likes this.
  7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

"The Verdict" is without a doubt my least favorite courtroom drama, despite the appeal of Paul Newman and his character. Almost every point in the plot is contrived and implausible: his decision to decline the settlement despite the family's wishes (it's their decision, not his), the visit to the judge in the evening at his house, the disappearing expert and the incompetent substitute, the seductress as spy, and the conclusion. This is just what I can recall off the top of my head; it's been years. The only believable element in the case is the actual legal claim, which makes it such a pity a more convincing, dramatic movie couldn't have been made out of it.

I really don't mind it much when movies or TV take liberties with courtroom procedure or rules of evidence to focus a drama. It's not important -- provided that there aren't absurdities driving the story -- and as anyone can tell you the rules aren't fixed or consistently applied anyway. But the story of "The Verdict" is just a series of contrivances for dramatic effect, which stand out all the more so for the contrast with the attempt at realism in the lead character.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Nah - from a lawyer's perspective, the trial in The Untouchables (also by Mamet) is worse.

9. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Great picture, and one that never really gets the attention it deserves. It's a definite jewel in Lumet's later career, alongside other overlooked pictures like the wonderful Prince of the City and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Bar none Newman's best performance in my book and one of those cases of Oscar regret when he later won for the incredibly inferior Color of Money (Much like Jimmy Stewart winning for Philadelphia Story as a makeup for not getting it as Mr. Smith).

I knew the film had high praise and being a Lumet film also knew what level of quality to expect. But from that opening of Newman detachedly playing pinball in the bar on a cold gray early morning then cracking an egg in a beer hooked me instantaneously. Lumet always was able to pull out these incredible performances even from established stars. His work with Connery is virtually unmatched save for the initial Bonds, Marnie and The Man Who Would Be King. Personally I think The Hill is another forgotten masterpiece alongside many other great Lumet classics.

I was surprised they even released a Blu at all, and maybe at some point many Lumet films may get a catalog upgrade. (The Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Then again most have had a hard enough time reaching us at all. I don't get how so many overlook his career. Sure he made some lesser pictures, some offbeat ones and a stinker or two. But for the sheer output alone and the number of truly classic or great dramas he is unmatched in modern times. People talk about Allen being so prodigious, but his batting average is way, way less.

john greenwood likes this.
  10. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Love the movie. Newman said it was easy to play because the character was so well written

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Finally someone mentions Lumet !!!!! Thank you. Murfreesboro again, it figures. :tiphat:

Also, @Combination 's nod to Nobody's Fool...oh hell yeah ! Watched it again last week. Forever loving that one !

captainsolo likes this.
  12. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

One tiny little piece of trivia worth mentioning is that the bar that Newman hangs out in was also seen in The Godfather, when the botched assassination attempt on Pentangeli takes place - whoa!

captainsolo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.