1984 News Story on Debut of the Compact Disc (CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Interesting video. I love how the first song in the background is an obscure track by The Church called 'Maybe These Boys'. I don't even know if that was on CD at the time, certainly not in the U.S. Frank looked to have some great taste in music, pulling out his China Crisis 'Working with Fire and Steel' 12" single and Nina Hagen Band CD. And of course his Kate Bush stuff all over the place.

I didn't even know CD's existed back when it was 1985, but I was only 15. I got my first play (Denon, which cost over $300) in 1989. I purchased my first CD (That Petrol Emotion 'End of the Millennium Psychosis Blues') as a motivator to follow through with saving for the player. Once I got my player my first purchases were The Smiths 'The Queen is Dead' and 'Louder Than Bombs', as well as R.E.M. 'Eponymous'. I played them endlessly until my next payday when I bought more, and continued doing so for a very long time. But those fun days of buying CD upgrades are about dead, especially considering how poorly mastered most titles are nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.