2.2 setups

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Got Hi-Fi?, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Got Hi-Fi?

Got Hi-Fi? Member Thread Starter

Is anyone here running a 2.2 setup? in particular, running the subs in stereo? If so, how have you hooked them up? and what methods of hook up have given you best results?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  2. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I am running a 2.2 setup two channel with two subs. I have each sub connected to its own channel, one left one right. The results are good very good balance.

3. Got Hi-Fi?

Got Hi-Fi? Member Thread Starter

Are you connected via sub outs, or are you using the high level connections?

4. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I just bought a second small sub for my TV room (Emotiva pre and monoblocks, Magneplanar MGI speakers). I've been running a single sub from the Emotiva preamp sub out but always wanted to try a dual sub setup so now is the time. Hopefully I'll get the sub in a few days and be able to report. I intend to run them of the main out via a splitter for each channel since the Emotiva's sub out is a mono signal.

5. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I am running them through the sub outs.

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

So does your subs have line level outputs for your main speakers or does your preamp have seperate sub outs for your main left and right channels?

7. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

They have line level outs but, I run them through two Yamaha parametric eq's then to my pre.

8. Hymie the Robot

So each main left and right channel has its own parametric eq and the eq has multiple preouts? One preout goes to amp for mains and another goes to line in on sub?

My setup is a simple passive two-way crossover with left and right main outs and left and right sub outs. Obviously my subs are also passive.

Edit...I just re-read what you wrote and now I gather you go preouts from source to sub and line outs from sub to eq and eq to preamp? Tough to understand somewhat complicated setups from gentlemen that speak with few words...

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm running my subs in stereo using a crossover that is active on the lower end and passive on the top end. The hi-pass filter is just a series capacitor which offers minimal degradation to the mains. The low pass filter is active and also has a simple equalizer in the circuit and I give it about a 2db bump at 25 Hz in an effort to compensate for it's natural rolloff.

The stereo subs contribute greatly to the sense of realism, especially when it comes to well recorded classical recordings where you can clearly hear the bass frequencies reverberating in the concert hall. They greatly help define the parameters of the room during playback.

10. Hymie the Robot

Did you build the crossover yourself? I would like some more info on this if it isn't much trouble.

As I have posted before on the thread about audio misconceptions, subwoofers are directional, and having only one sub that is placed on one side of the room can sound unbalanced and make the whole setup sound screwy. (Obviously subs aren't as directional as tweeters...)

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

AllegroSound * Dahlquist DQ-LP1 Electronic Crossover * »

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I was running dual subs off of the stereo subwoofer outputs of my Emotiva XSP-1 preamp. It worked very well.

I've removed the subwoofers as I've recently upgraded speakers.

13. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Ok one Eq is for the mains and the other is for the subs. The signal from the pre goes to the eq's then to the mains and subs. Hope this helps.

14. Hymie the Robot

Well I think I have it down to three possibilities, from your first post it sounded like you were running them in stereo so that would rule out the sub eq being fed by the sub out connection, correct?
    That would leave two possibilities, either you are using a splitter or y connector from your mains to the two eq's? Or you have two main outs which most preamps don't have? I am sure your setup is obvious to you but to us who have never seen or heard your system, your replies don't seem to tell the entire story...or maybe it's just me.

15. Hymie the Robot

Very nice subwoofer features on that Emotiva preamp! Seperate left and right subwoofer outs (or summed) with individual crossover points for each, nice. They even specifically mention 2.2 setups in their literature, sweet.
    So are your new speakers full range? How do they compare to the 2.2 setup you had?

16. Hymie the Robot

That is exactly what I have been looking for. Nice how the mains are barely affected by the action of splitting the signal and adding a crossover. I always hate to do that to a line level input...now to find one at a reasonable price.

17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm really happy with this preamp, and I've owned a slew of different stuff- solid state, tubed and passive.

My new speakers are Magnepan 1.7is. I've always loved the 1 series, and have always wanted a pair. Finally decided to do it, and couldn't be happier. The Maggies are brutally revealing, and the Emotiva gear is keeping up splendidly.

The difference between the Maggies and my 23 year old Infinitys are pretty dramatic. The Maggies play low enough without subs so I decided to simplify things and remove the subs.

I will say that the Emotiva XSP-1s crossover makes subwoofer setup pretty quick and very easy.

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well if you get the premise of this, another option could be to essentially build your own by splitting your signal, sending one output to the passive high pass filter before your main amp, and the other to a low pass filter or crossover of your choice to feed your bass amp.

19. Hymie the Robot

I really hate the idea of splitting any line level signal but it may be a necessary evil if I want more control over the crossover. Goal is to leave the main signal as untouched as possible and that may simply be keeping the passive crossover like I have now. But I want to test the waters and see if better options exist, try them, and use what I like best.

The same professional speaker builder who built my 3 way mains, built the passive crossover I am using now so it isn't crap but when I upgrade my low end from the sealed 8 inchers I am using now to ported 10 inchers, I want to make sure I leave no stone unturned and have the best possible results without affecting the mains.

These are rear speakers in a 5.1 multichannel setup that I am looking to match up the low end to my 3 way fronts. Sorry for any confusion on this. All speaker drivers, tweeters, mids and bass drivers are matching all around. Mains are 3 way and rears are two way with seperate passive bass cabinets. I had planned on having him build me another pair of matching 3 ways but I waited too long and now he is retired so plan B it is. The system is very close to where I want it now, but I just want that extra low end extension in the rears to match the front bass output.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

21. Hymie the Robot

That Outlaw has a good reputation and I am now using an Outlaw 990 in conjunction with a 5.1 analog preamp with passthrough. Not sure if I want my signal going through that though. If it was new with 30 day trial that would be on the list but that isn't the case. Maybe I will stumble onto one or the Dahlquist for cheap. The Dahlquist sold on ebay a month ago for around $250. If something like that comes back around, I will bite.

Anyone actually using a splitter or quality y connector on their setup. How much does it affect the SQ? Is there any problems doing that with changes in impedance?

22. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I feed my subs from the pre-amp outputs. one channel to each one. I use the sub controls for crossover and volume. works great once it is set up. I just have a simple stereo pre-amp with two sets of outputs.

23. Hymie the Robot

Sub has high pass outputs? Are the high pass outs variable?

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Had 2 sub-woofers running through the Line Output of my integrated MF amp. One in front of each speaker stand for my KEF LS 50. Sadly one of the two started making strange and loud noises, so now I run the remaining Sub-Wooferin the middle (In front of the TV set). Strangely the bass sounds more heavy with one vs two...

25. Hymie the Robot

If it is closer to back wall it will sound louder. Does it sound better or just more heavy. I have my subs behind each speaker, closer to wall. It does make a big difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.