2 new Yamaha uni players - including one with balanced analog outputs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thanks! Glad the Yamaha S681 plays HDCD.

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You mean apart from the fact that one is a UHD 4K player and one isn't?........

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

As long as the 1060's lack of 4K playback ability is also not a deal breaker........... you are good to go.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If the Marantz is the UD7007 I'd give it a wide berth unless you don't mind a laggy and very unresponsive UI. I ditched mine and went with the then current Cambridge 752BD. Far better.

Linger63 likes this.
  6. tootull

7. tootull

(just checked for PAL DVDs) Don't have any PALs to play (so sad). Can't confirm.

8. tootull

RX-V781 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States
    The BD-S681 is meant to be paired with the RX-V line of receivers. I paired it with a Yamaha RX-V781 receiver and I'm VERY pleased. Tried a few different speakers & speaker set ups (happy with all). Trying to decide on the best speaker match.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure if this answers my question or not. All that I know is that I have an old Sherwood blu ray player that plays NTSC and PAL discs without having to select anything. It just does it. If it is simply entering an unlock code once then that's one thing, but having to unlock regions every single time is too complicated to explain to the rest of my family.

Also, for legal reasons player manuals will never tell you outright that they can play other regions. They either will inherently, or there's a simple code. Either that or it just isn't possible straight out of the box.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. tootull

My player has a region code of 1. I believe this means no PAL

Region management information for Blu-ray Disc/DVD videos– Blu-ray Disc/DVD video players and discs have region codes, which dictate the regions in which a disc can be played. Verify the region code mark on
    the rear panel of this Player. For a Blu-ray Disc, the disc can be played back on this Player with the same region code mark, or the region code “ABC” mark. For a DVD disc, the disc can be played back on this
    Player with the same region code mark, or the region code “ALL” mark.

Region management information
    Destination
    BD-Video
    DVD-Video
    U.S.A. and Canada
    Region code “A” or“ABC” (BD-Video)
    Region number “1”or “ALL” (DVD-Video)
    Europe
    Region code “B” or“ABC”
    Region number “2” or “ALL”
    Asia and Taiwan
    Region code “A” or “ABC”
    Region number “3”or “ALL”
    Central and South America
    Region code “A” or “ABC”
    Region number “4”or “ALL”
    Australia
    Region code “B” or “ABC”
    Region number “4”or “ALL”

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

With all due respect, I know all of that and it means nothing. Every player on Earth is made supposedly region locked and it isn't always true. You can't just believe the literature..

12. tootull

OK - I was just going through the manual. I'll forget about it now as it is of no concern for me. Thought I'd help you as best I can.
    :cheers:

13. sasho

sasho Forum Resident

thank you for review
    can you take a shot from audio board - I am Interested at signal chain from PCM1795 to outputs
    which outputs did you use when you notice that level Is low
    did you test balanced outputs

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Nope, my old 1989 Sansui CD-X711 CD player has balanced outputs available. No big deal.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. I can briefly state my understanding of what is going on regarding all-region DVD playback. I think you probably know this without ever stating it but making the player capable of all-region DVD and all/or-region Blu-ray is a violation of the licenses to build the player. It is very unlikely in my opinion that Yamaha has manufactured these models all-region capable right out of the box. It is certainly possible the players can play NTSC and PAL DVD but only if the discs are not region locked, almost all commercial DVDs will be coded to a single region.

You mentioned your Sherwood player could play all region DVDs, I doubt whichever company owned the rights to the Sherwood name for DVD players when that player was manufactured was concerned with complying with the terms of the license to build the player, a different situation than Yamaha, of course. Some other manufacturers do offer players capable of all-region playback with a code or DVD unlock procedure, I don't know how strictly the licensing requirements are being enforced these days. I would sure expect Toshiba, Sony, Yamaha, etc. to continue to play by the rules.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I didn't snap any shots with the cover off, but I think there's a few pics floating around on the web.

If my memory serves correctly, the output level was lower on the analog RCA outs vs the COAX, which is just a digital signal anyway.

I don't have long cable runs and therefore don't use the balanced outputs.

17. sasho

sasho Forum Resident

thank you for reply
    I guess you are happy with Yamaha BD A1060
    did you try to play dvd audio
    benefit from using balanced outs Is cancelling noise and harmonics, double voltage gain

18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Did you ever get an answer to your question because I am in the same place? I am in the market for a newer universal player. Unfortunately the new Oppo 203/205 and the Yamahas are about the only thing available. All the Cambridge audio that I would have considered are no longer available or too high priced. I could care less about 4k video, and dont even understand what XLR balanced outputs or CD mode mean which seem to be the 3 biggest differences. I am mainly interested in sound features. I only have a few DVD-A discs so was leaning towards the yamaha 1060 but there are still a few 1040s available.

19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I did leave out the Sony ES UBP-X1000, which is now on sale at Crutchfield (usually happens before something goes out of stock) for $599. So lining up from least $:
    Yamaha BD-A 1040: about $400, has DVD-A and HDCD capabilities, but no 4k and no Netflix app. Still available in a few places.
    Yamaha BD-A 1060: $500, no DVD-A, but has 4k upscaling, XLR Balanced outputs, same internal DAC as the 1040 a 32 bit Burr Brown
    Oppo 203: no streaming apps at all, 4k capability, better warranty (2 years), more outputs (2 HDMI), cost $559
    Sony ES UBP-X1000: cost $599, but has 4k, has all streaming apps, plays DVD-A and all other formats, has 2 HDMI and a 3 yr warranty

Sony might be the best bang for the $ now that it is $100 off

20. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.