20 Years Of SHERYL CROW (An Appreciation)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarilynsPickle, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I've always enjoyed Sheryl Crow's music and thought a thread celebrating her two decades of recorded work would be a nice addition to the forum. Remember, this is an appreciation thread so let's maintain that spirit for those who want a place to discuss her work. Thanks. :righton:

To kick things off, I'd like to share what I hope is a helpful resource for those attempting to track down and/or organize her many released recordings. She's been rather prolific.

This list focuses on her core studio albums and off-album solo recordings found all over the world on promos, singles, soundtracks and other various artists compilations. Nearly everything has been made available on the compact disc format, but this list also includes the handful of download-only tracks officially released over the past decade. Please note that this particular list does not include background vocal/duet or instrument contributions, nor does it include "leaks" or bootlegged tracks.

Please share any additions or corrections!

---

The Unreleased Album Era ('Sheryl Crow', 1992)

HUNDREDS OF TEARS
    from the 'Point Break' film soundtrack (July 9, 1991); a remix of this recording was to appear on the unreleased debut album 'Sheryl Crow' (1992)

FATHER SUN
    from the 'Beyond Words' A&M Sampler (UK, 1993); remix by Kevin Gilbert of a recording from the unreleased debut album 'Sheryl Crow' (1992)

[​IMG]

The 'Tuesday Night Music Club' Era

RUN, BABY, RUN
    LEAVING LAS VEGAS
    STRONG ENOUGH
    CAN’T CRY ANYMORE
    SOLIDIFY
    THE NA-NA SONG
    NO ONE SAID IT WOULD BE EASY
    WHAT I CAN DO FOR YOU
    ALL I WANNA DO
    WE DO WHAT WE CAN
    I SHALL BELIEVE
    from the 'Tuesday Night Music Club' LP (August 3, 1993)

ALL BY MYSELF
    'Tuesday Night Music Club' sessions out-take, international b-side of 'Run, Baby, Run'

REACH AROUND JERK
    'Tuesday Night Music Club' sessions out-take, international b-side of 'Run, Baby, Run'

VOLVO COWGIRL 99
    'Tuesday Night Music Club' sessions out-take, international b-side of 'What I Can Do For You'

ON THE OUTSIDE
    'Tuesday Night Music Club' sessions out-take, first released on the 'X-Files' compilation 'Songs In The Key Of X' (March 26, 1996)

I’M GONNA BE A WHEEL SOMEDAY
    from the film 'Confessions Of A Sorority Girl' and included on 'Fast Track To Nowhere', television soundtrack to Showtime's 'Rebel Highway' (August 9, 1994)

SOLITAIRE
    from the Carpenters tribute 'If I Were A Carpenter' (September 13, 1994)

KEEP ON GROWING
    from the 'Boys On The Side' film soundtrack (January 31, 1995)

D’YER MAK’ER
    from the Led Zepplin tribute 'Encomium' (March 21, 1995)

COFFEE SHOP
    KILLER LIFE
    ESSENTIAL TRIP OF HERENESS
    YOU WANT MORE
    MURDER IN MY HEART*
    1994 session for scrapped follow-up to Tuesday Night Music Club;
    mixed in September 2009 by Bill Bottrell for inclusion on the Deluxe Edition reissue of 'Tuesday Night Music Club'
    except *for inclusion on 'NCIS: The Official TV Soundtrack Vol. 2'

[​IMG]

The 'Sheryl Crow' Era

MAYBE ANGELS
    A CHANGE (WOULD DO YOU GOOD)
    HOME
    SWEET ROSALYN
    IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY
    REDEMPTION DAY
    HARD TO MAKE A STAND
    EVERYDAY IS A WINDING ROAD
    LOVE IS A GOOD THING
    OH MARIE
    SUPERSTAR
    THE BOOK
    ORDINARY MORNING
    from the 'Sheryl Crow' LP (September 24, 1996)

SAD SAD WORLD
    'Sheryl Crow' session out-take, 'Sheryl Crow' International bonus track

FREE MAN
    'Sheryl Crow' session out-take, 'Sheryl Crow' Japan bonus track

IN NEED
    'Sheryl Crow' session out-take, b-side of 'Everyday Is A Winding Road'

BLUE CHRISTMAS
    from 'A Very Special Christmas 3' (October 7, 1997)

TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    from the 'Tomorrow Never Dies' film soundtrack (November 25, 1997)

MONKEY MIND
    from Mitchell Froom’s 'Dopamine' (May 19, 1998)

[​IMG]

'The Globe Sessions' Era

MY FAVORITE MISTAKE
    THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD
    RIVERWIDE
    IT DON’T HURT
    MAYBE THAT’S SOMETHING
    AM I GETTING THROUGH (PARTS I & II)
    ANYTHING BUT DOWN
    THE DIFFICULT KIND
    MISSISSIPPI
    MEMBERS ONLY
    CRASH AND BURN
    from 'The Globe Sessions' LP (September 23, 1998)

AM I GETTING THROUGH (PART II) (Alternate Version)
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; 'The Globe Sessions' French advance promo
    Different recording and lyrics.

SUBWAY RIDE
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; b-side of 'My Favorite Mistake'; hidden track on 'The Globe Sessions'

CAROLINA
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; b-side of 'My Favorite Mistake'; 'The Globe Sessions' Japan bonus track

IN NEED (1998)
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; b-side of 'My Favorite Mistake''

RESUSCITATION
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; 'The Globe Sessions' International bonus track

STRAIGHT TO THE MOON
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; b-side of 'There Goes The Neighborhood'

YOU ALWAYS GET YOUR WAY
    'The Globe Sessions' out-take; b-side of 'There Goes The Neighborhood'

STILL
    from the 'Dill Scallion' film soundtrack (March 11, 1999)

SWEET CHILD O’ MINE
    from the 'Big Daddy' film soundtrack (June 22, 1999)

[​IMG]

The 'C'mon, C'mon' Era

KISS THAT GIRL
    from the Bridget Jones’s Diary film soundtrack (April 13, 2001)

BEHIND BLUES EYES
    from the Who tribute 'Substitute' (June 12, 2001)

LONG GONE LONESOME BLUES
    from the Hank Williams tribute 'Timeless' (September 25, 2001)

WHO WILL THE NEXT FOOL BE
    from the Sun Records tribute 'Good Rockin’ Tonight' (October 30, 2001)

PICTURE duet with Kid Rock
    from Kid Rock’s 'Cocky' (November 20, 2001); later included on 'The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow' (November 3, 2003)

MOTHER NATURE’S SON
    from the 'I Am Sam' film soundtrack (January 25, 2002)

STEVE McQUEEN
    SOAK UP THE SUN
    YOU’RE AN ORIGINAL
    SAFE AND SOUND
    C’MON C’MON
    IT’S SO EASY
    OVER YOU
    LUCKY KID
    DIAMOND ROAD
    IT’S ONLY LOVE
    ABILENE
    HOLE IN MY POCKET
    WEATHER CHANNEL
    from the 'C'mon C'mon' LP (April 16, 2002)

CHANCES ARE
    'C’mon, C’mon' session out-take; b-side of 'Soak Up The Sun' (2002); later remixed with string overdubs for inclusion on the 'Wildflower' album (September 27, 2005)

YOU’RE NOT THE ONE
    'C’mon, C’mon' session out-take; b-side of 'Soak Up The Sun'

MISSING
    'C’mon, C’mon' session out-take; 'C’mon, C’mon' International bonus track

I WANT YOU
    'C’mon, C’mon' session out-take; 'C’mon, C’mon' International bonus track

BE STILL MY SOUL
    charity single for the Scleroderma Research Foundation (November 2002)

[​IMG]

'The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow' Era

LET’S GET FREE
    free digital single release (early 2003); later included as an international bonus track on 'The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow'

THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST
    LIGHT IN YOUR EYES
    from the 'The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow' (November 3, 2003)

BEGIN THE BEGUINE
    from the 'De-Lovely' film soundtrack (June 15, 2004)

NO DEPRESSION IN HEAVEN
    from the Carter Family tribute 'Unbroken Circle' (August 24, 2004)

ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE
    from Marlo Thomas’ 'Thanks & Giving All Year Long' (November 16, 2004)

[​IMG]

The 'Wildflower' Era

I KNOW WHY
    PERFECT LIE
    GOOD IS GOOD
    WILDFLOWER
    LIFETIMES
    LETTER TO GOD
    LIVE IT UP
    I DON’T WANNA KNOW
    ALWAYS ON YOUR SIDE
    WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE
    from the 'Wildflower' LP (September 27, 2005)
    (Note: LP also includes the recording "Chances Are" from 2002's 'C'mon, C'mon' sessions)

YOU CAN CLOSE YOUR EYES
    BLUE EYES CRYING IN THE RAIN
    I NEVER LOVED A MAN (THE WAY I LOVE YOU)
    THE FEW THAT REMAIN
    from the deluxe edition of Sheryl Crow’s 'Artist’s Choice' compilation (April 2006; recorded June 2005)

SO GLAD WE MADE IT
    'Wildflower' session out-take; from the 'AT&T Team USA' 2010 Summer Olympics soundtrack ; digital download (released August 2010, recorded 2005)

REAL GONE
    from the 'Cars' film soundtrack (June 6, 2006)

TRY NOT TO REMEMBER
    from the 'Home Of The Brave' film soundtrack (December 15, 2006)

NOT FADE AWAY
    digital single release (February 4, 2007)

HERE COMES THE SUN
    from the 'Bee Movie' film soundtrack (October 30, 2007)

[​IMG]

The 'Detours' Era

GOD BLESS THIS MESS
    SHINE OVER BABYLON
    LOVE IS FREE
    PEACE BE UPON US
    GASOLINE
    OUT OF OUR HEADS
    DETOURS
    NOW THAT YOU’RE GONE
    DRUNK WITH THE THOUGHT OF YOU
    DIAMOND RING
    MOTIVATION
    MAKE IT GO AWAY (RADIATION SONG)
    LOVE IS ALL THERE IS
    LULLABY FOR WYATT
    from the 'Detours' LP (February 5, 2008)

RISE UP
    'Detours' session out-take; 'Detours' Japan bonus track

BEAUTIFUL DREAM
    'Detours' session out-take; 'Detours' Japan bonus track

DOCTOR MY EYES
    'Detours' iTunes bonus track; digital download (February 5, 2008)

GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN
    THE CHRISTMAS SONG
    WHITE CHRISTMAS
    I’LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS
    MERRY CHRISTMAS, BABY
    THE BELLS OF ST. MARY’S
    BLUE CHRISTMAS (2008)
    O HOLY NIGHT
    THERE IS A STAR THAT SHINES TONIGHT
    HELLO, MY FRIEND, HELLO*
    ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT
    from the 'Home For Christmas' LP; (released in the US exclusively at Hallmark in 2008, and Target in 2010; released internationally in 2008)
    * "Hello My Friend, Hello" was not included on the Hallmark pressing of 'Home For Christmas', and was made available through the Hallmark website site as a download-only bonus track.

LOVE WILL REMAIN
    from the 'Raw Faith' film soundtrack; digital download (May 27, 2010)

[​IMG]

The '100 Miles From Memphis' Era

OUR LOVE IS FADING
    EYE TO EYE
    SIGN YOUR NAME
    SUMMER DAY
    LONG ROAD HOME
    SAY WHAT YOU WANT
    PEACEFUL FEELING
    STOP
    SIDEWAYS
    100 MILES FROM MEMPHIS
    ROSES AND MOONLIGHT
    I WANT YOU BACK
    from the '100 Miles From Memphis' LP (July 20, 2010)

BEAUTIFUL DREAMER
    from 'Mark Twain: Words & Music' (September 21, 2011)

ANGEL MINE
    from 'The Lost Notebook Of Hank Williams' (October 4, 2011)

MRS. MAJOR TOM
    from William Shatner’s 'Seeking Major Tom' (October 11, 2011)

---

And as far as I know that's everything up to this very moment.

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues, laf848, 905 and 7 others like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Great post, congratulations. Count me as a fan.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  3. Djoel

Djoel Forum Resident

WOW she's been around for 20 years?? It sure doesn't feel like it, but glad she has had some mainstream success, I tend to like her music even though I just own one of her album.

DJOel

4. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

The Globe Sessions is my favorite era, but she has a career to be proud of.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Always been a fan. Her self-titled album is nearly flawless!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Burto

Burto Forum Resident

As this is an appreciation thread, I will say that I can definitely appreciate her talent. However, her voice can get very grating on my ears, and I do not appreciate her NEVER turning down a soundtrack or tribute show appearance. But, I don't want to threadcrap, she has made a very nice career for herself, and I do like TNMC (and also her versions of 'Mississippi' and 'Keep On Growing'). As for the other albums, I'll let other people do the appreciating. Good idea for a thread, and a very well-researched discography. Well done.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Globe Sessions is a great record, but I never was able to develop much attachment to her other records. She really dicked Kevin Gilbert over after they recorded TNMC, so it's hard for me to be a fan. I did like her most recent album, a pretty convincing Memphis-soul pastiche, but I think that was as much to do with her collaborators as her.

8. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I'm a fan of her early work, the first three albums were great, but she kind of lost me after The Globe Sessions, i really haven't liked anything she's done since except ''Soak Up The Sun'' and her excellent cover of Derek & The Dominos ''Keep On Growing''.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

You could compile a box set of just the tunes she has recorded for tribute albums.

10. Burto

Burto Forum Resident

If that hadn't said Sheryl Crow, I would have thought that was a picture of Liz Phair.

11. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Sheryl first hit my radar opening for Crowded House on their Together Alone tour. The late Paul Hester left the Crowdies mid-tour and Sheryl's drummer stepped in to fill the void. Must have been awkward as Crow's star was ascendent just as Crowded House (undeservedly) lost momentum in North America.

I'm a big fan of TNMC and the Globe Sessions, in particular.

12. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

As someone had said earlier in the thread, I love her 1st three albums and when we got to "Soak Up The Sun" (which was originally supposed to be called C'Mon C'Mon which is a better song on that same album) she kinda lost me. "Soak..." has about half really great tunes (C'Mon and Weather Channel being highlights for me) and the rest of it is some really inane filler. Her next studio albums after that were some of the most unimpressive stuff she has ever done, but this doesn't surprise me. She had kids by that point and the music hunger was gone. She has human hunger and a desire to be the best mom she can be and that's amazing. I think the music gets the raw end of the deal when artists get happiness in their lives. She's got it and unfortunately for US I'm not into her catalog of the last decade.

She needs to bring Peter Stroud back to the band (and while she is at it, that entire crew from 99 INCLUDING Jim Bogios). This new live band with Doyle II is remarkably the WRONG band for her, including Doyle II. He's way overrated and her songs just don't have the same THING going on anymore. The Memphis soul thing is a phase and she'll get back to her original setup, but I'm worried that she's really lost her way.

93 -99 Grade: A
    00 - 11 Grade: C-

13. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

a television performance, December 1997, Sheryl Crow on the Charlie Rose program...scroll forward to about 19:50 for a nice live version of "Home"...

I saw this one live at the time, and I still like it today...

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/5210

14. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I'm not a big Sheryl Crow fan, but I do appreciate her work. And, surprisingly, after reading this thread, I notice I have some great SC releases in my collection. I was lucky enough to get the "Live at Budokan" disc in a clearance bin at HMV some years ago - excellent live disc. And I also have the double-disc UK best-of collection.

15. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I've always enjoyed her work, but "C'mon C'mon" believe it or not is when I became a HUGE fan. This is also where I began to track down all the import singles for B sides, soundtrack contributions, tributes, etc.

Thanks to the OP for posting that VERY detailed discography. That's a much larger one than even at her official site!

There are a couple of songs missing from your list that I noticed. She appeared on one of Italian singer Zucchero's albums in the late 90's singing a duet with him. That song was "Blue"

There's also her duet of "Baby Don't Go" with Dwight Yoakam from his "Under The Covers"

She does a duet with Jerry Lee Lewis on his "Last Man Standing" of "Good Morning Sunshine"

"Mother Natures Son" from "I Am Sam" Soundtrack

"Need Your Love So Bad" from BB Kings "75"

Another duet with Kid Rock, "Collide" from his latest.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I really love the Globe Sessions record. That was her best period, and while I really like all her stuff before and after, I wish she would tap into the vibe that album had again.

I'm a bit put off by her treatment of some folks, particularly Van Dyke Parks, I realize it was her name on the records and she made some hard choices. I might not make such allowances for someone without her immense talent, but genius will out.

Someday, I hope she puts out her earliest recordings. I'd like to hear them, and there might be a gem or two, you never know.

17. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Solid artist with an impressive greatest hits. She's no Joni Mitchell, but who is?

18. There are 3-4 really good songs on that one. The rest is pretty forgettable. I think Indian Summer and Hundreds of Tears are probably best. The latter can be found on the Point Break soundtrack. All Kinds of People got covered by a whole bunch of artists, but it's still a pretty uninspired tune.

I think TNMC and The Globe Sessions are her best work, but there are some strong songs on "S/T" and Detours as well.

19. She needs a strong co-writer, and lately it seemed like Jeff Trott was pretty well spent. I'd be interested to hear her work with someone like Jason Falkner.

20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I absolutely love Tina Turner's version of "All Kinds of People".

21. Saw her playing in a vacant lot between some bars in Laclede's Landing (a.k.a. "The Landing" as referred to in the Wilco song Heavy Metal Drummer) during the Miller Music Festival in St. Louis in 1992 or 1993. She was good. Had no idea she would become as big as she did! Back then, I believe the only thing she had released was the Leaving Las Vegas single--Tuesday Night Music Club wasn't out yet. I think this was when she was still a music teacher for the Rockwood School District. Her phone number was listed in the phone book, at least, so she was still living in St. Louis at the time (Yep, my friend and I looked her up. Pretty pathetic!)

22. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Good idea. I'd add Tommy Keene and Jules Shear.

23. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Big fan here since her 1st release. She is still gorgeous after all of these years.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  24. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I find it hard to believe it's been almost two decades since i first heard ''Leaving Las Vegas'' on the radio and then rushing to my local Circuit City to buy the album, seems like it was just yesterday.I still think that first album is a real classic, i also think ''Leaving Las Vegas'' and ''All I Wanna Do'' are two of the coolest radio tunes ever, i never tire of them.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I am fan of hers as well. I think she was a backup singer to Michael Jackson. Please correct me if wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.