2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

SAD!

nick99nack likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh it's not at the CSC, forget it. I need the immerse round IMAX.

3. woody

woody Forum Resident

Going to fake imax at the local AMC today. Wish me luck...

4. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Indeed, we won’t get this chance again. Saw it again last night, and going again tomorrow night.

chacha and pjc1 like this.
  5. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

The crowd was sparse (maybe 25 people) both times I saw it. Several fathers and sons, and I was also with my son. Both nights there were people who’d never seen it before.

6. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Now I’m fantasizing about an IMAX Kubrick film festival. One can dream.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  7. woody

woody Forum Resident

Wow! That was awesome. Sure it wasn’t a 70 mm experience but the movie has never looked so good in a digital presentation. Effects were much better than on my blu-ray even on the big screen. Seemed like there was a little judder on panning shots but there are not many of those. Guess they may have had to crop it somehow as it was full screen but maybe I am wrong.

Sound was good but a little distortion with the monolith and overall a tad loud for my ears. All four of us in attendance were grinning leaving the matinee. Go see it.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife managed to see it at the REAL IMAX at Chicago's Navy Pier. The things that most impressed her was that it had the pre-show music on a black screen, an intermission and even the post-credits music.

9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

All one has to do is pay attention to the way they worship a certain technician and the utter BS put-downs of the film print because it wasn't digitally tinkered to his liking to see why (and why he didn't get the job to begin with because of his badmouthing of the Warner Bros. chief restoration team).

There has been this utter stupid backlash against seeing an analog film print in all its glory, and it is just obscene.

From what I have read, Nolan's film print was taken from the original negative after much care and using Kubrick's original notes. YET, there are so many fools that would rather crap all over that effort so they can only worship the 4K presentation (which is less than quality than a 70 mm film print gives by a country mile).

I know I have repeated this over and over and over, but the facts are that this out and out sabotage of analog is not only disgraceful, but it is spear headed by technicians that should know better. It is like this sick obsession to only trust computer rendering paired with technicians that think they are better than the original artist....no wonder 2001 is still a very relevant movie to this day. The ideas in the film spell out the irony so precisely all I can say is what the butter queen said to on Oprah Winfrey...

Those that know ...know, and those that don't...wish they did.

On a side note, this does not mean that I won't support a digital restoration, and a down sampled 4K bluray from an 8K scan of the original negative. I got my copy on pre-order. I think there is room to love both analog and digital despite the powers that be that want to make you think only one way like a HAL computer that has obviously gone very very sick.

Dan C, nick99nack and budwhite like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Care to elaborate?

11. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

I went to see the 70mm print at Cinemateket in Oslo. I thought it looked terrible with the colours washed-out, the sound earpiercing loud at certain points, and somehow all the spaceship-sequences looked very fake, just like models. A very disappointing experience...
    Popped in the blu-ray when I got home and thankfully, the colours, sharpness, miniatures, everything gelled so much better. Still a masterpiece :agree:

12. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Strangely enough the 70mm Nolan print was shown at the IMAX here in the summer but this IMAX version doesn't seem to be showing, which is a shame.

Re the attendance - the Nolan version is getting multiple screenings at the Prince Charles cinema in London so appears to be doing well. This is welcome as the Prince Charles has a younger demographic than other repertory cinemas - goes to show that it's possible to get young people interested in old cinema!

nick99nack and coffeetime like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's exactly what I noted. I wasn't sure if it was the fault of the theater, or the mix done for this restoration. Maybe its how it was mixed. I found the sound (specifically the music) disappointing.

14. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

They play 2001 pretty much every year over here at the TIFF lightbox in Toronto. I've yet to see 2001 or any of their 70mm prints, but when I saw Phantom Thread in 70mm, I was far from impressed... it did not even look as good as a standard 70mm IMAX film/scene. I was told that the lightbulb blew up the day before, perhaps that's why it was so poor looking.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was going to see it at the Mann Chinese yesterday, but got lazy about driving for an hour. I really have seen it so many times. Why I don't live in a bigger city, I don't know.

16. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Boy, I'd love to see a nice theatrical presentation of my favorite film of all time, but people are posting experiences that are just all over the map. Here in Madison it's playing at an IMAX (lieMAX?) screen and also in 4K on a standard screen at a different theater. But I don't feel very confident about getting a quality presentation. Probably not going to gamble 3 hours of my life and the cost of tickets, sadly.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"LIEMax" isn't an obstacle for this film, IMO. I'd skip LIEMax screens for films with "true IMAX" footage like "Dunkirk" as they'll have compromised aspect ratios, but "2001" doesn't have that issue - you'll get it original AR...

sgtmono likes this.
  18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Saw it last night with my 13 year old son in IMAX in Houston, WOW.
    This needs to be seen by anyone that likes this movie or loves cinema.
    Yes, the audio was loud but somehow it seemed needed for this powerhouse showing.
    By far the most spectacular film I've seen in a theater.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

When the Ligeti plays as they approach the Monolith on the moon, it's supposed to be deafening.

sleepjar and coffeetime like this.
  20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

That's good to know. Still doesn't solve the overriding problems of quality control that have been made apparent in this thread.

21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Man, Barry Lyndon would be incredible IMAX experience.

sleepjar, pjc1, uzn007 and 1 other person like this.
  22. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

That would be!!

23. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

It's close!

Ghostworld and RexKramer like this.
  24. woody

woody Forum Resident

I wear my etymotic ear plugs to many movies and didn't need them until the Monolith on the moon. I put them in after intermission but didn't really need them until Jupiter and Beyond.

I had seen BR2049 a few months ago in the same theater and it was great presentation as well. If you know the theater is usually good then I think 2001 will not disappoint.

25. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Was thinking about Grauman's Chinese or Universal AMC, then discovered it playing across the street at my local AMC. Saw the Dome's run so this was not a priority, but may wander over tomorrow, last day of showing. Was not aware it was playing in the 'burbs. Price is substantially cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.