2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Actually seen it 5 times on the big screen. Once in 60mm or whatever the Uptown in DC has and once at the AFI Silver.

I also saw it in Germany dubbed in German. HAL replies, "Jawohl, Dave" but very calmly.

It is a masterpiece and I never get tired of it.

duneman likes this.
  3. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Taken as a whole the transfer looks better than that and while it's not at all perfect due to being a rather old standard def master-it does give a better sense in places of the color that was there before Warner made a new version and struck all new video masters and prints off of it-even the 70mm ones.

But the soundmix was wrecked. They removed all of the sound and dialogue panning which also serves to kill atmosphere. At first you don't notice a difference but eventually you can notice it. For me, if it's the way SK wanted it then that's how it should be.

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I haven't seen any mention as to this new disc's source on either the blu-ray.com forums or Home Theater Forum.

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Jason Manley likes this.
  7. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

That link looks to be from the 40th anniversary. The 50th anniversary prints are not being released until May 18th. I have not seen anything on the AFI's website yet.

These new prints appear to be from a new inter-positive(?) from the negative, and according to Robert Harris the negative is in need of restoration. It sounds like this will be an unrestored, warts and all print, but still may look better than anything else that's still out there.

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

"The 4K Ultra HD pre-order page was recently pulled down from Amazon and now we know why: The street date had been listed as 5/8, but the title is now slated to arrive this fall, after the theatrical run."

source: The Digital Bits website

Jason Manley likes this.
  9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I didn't notice that! Thanks. Seems like they should clean up their website.

10. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

They archive everything there. I've been fooled too, and I now take note of the posting dates. I even got excited by your post, because I've been checking their site for this.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I saw the restored version a few years back at the Cinerama in Seattle.
    Honestly, I prefer the BD projected on my 100" screen overall.

There are scenes that benefit from the huge screen size but the downside is that FX artifacts are far more noticeable.
    The scenes with the leopard and some of the space flight scenes are especially noticeable.
    Even though they took great pains with painting Earth on the glass disc, it is easy to tell it's a static image.

Still a great film and vision of the future that is now long past.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sometimes wise. Back in the 90s I saw "2001" at the Cinerama Dome in 70mm and it was out of focus. I left. But the promise of a good screening would bring me back. Great article about Douglas Rain recording the voice on HAL9000 in the NYT yesterday.

My head almost exploded when I learned Martin Balsam had been chosen to play Hal and he recorded Hal's part! Wow! Love to hear those tapes! Thank God Stanley changed his mind. That's what made him a great director, not afraid to drop an actor! Can you imagine Martin Balsam? It would have ruined it. Mainly because Balsam is such a well known actor and voice, it would have been hard to separate them. I can't believe Balsam acting that "cooly."

The Story of a Voice: HAL in ‘2001’ Wasn’t Always So Eerily Calm

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Mlle. Aurora, Spadeygrove and davenav like this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Martin Balsam? Good grief wasn’t Leonard Nimoy available?

Thank God for Douglas Rains.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Excellent........Does that mean its 100% analogue??

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

It will have a digital soundtrack.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

YUK!!

I probably wouldnt wanna see it then....... (All pure or not for me)

Thank you Davey for the reply on it....... I didnt think it would be 100% pure.....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  17. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

No one is doing the mag striping anymore. I think it was pretty hazardous material!

18. htom

htom Senior Member

As DaveySR noted, magnetic soundtracks on film aren't made any more. That would be the only way to get 6-channel analog sound. The alternative analog optical soundtrack we're all familiar with (either variable density or variable area) could only go up a matrixed Dolby Stereo soundtrack, or 4 channel (non-discrete) at most. Chances are also likely viewers have not viewed a print with analog sound outside of repertory houses and vintage prints in a couple of decades.

McLover likes this.
  19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Happy 50th birthday to 2001: A Space Odyssey!

20. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Hoping someone can answer this for me. When 2001 opened some 50 years ago in theaters, was the soundtrack in mono or stereo? I ask because I thought no theaters were equipped to play stereo soundtracks until the early-mid 70s. But then again, thinking back, I don't recall ever seeing a home video release (VHS, DVD or BD) that included a mono soundtrack for 2001.

21. htom

htom Senior Member

6 track in 70mm. The 1952 film This is Cinerama introduced stereo sound to the general public before the music industry actually got around to it.

Jason Manley likes this.
  22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw it in the 80's at the Brattle cinema in Harvard Square.
    Unspectacular color and sound.

23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Indeed -- today (April 2) is the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere at the Uptown Theater in Washington, D.C.
    Of course, that night they showed the 2 hour and 40 minute version. (Kubrick later excised 20 minutes.) That theater was equipped to show 3-strip Cinerama (although "2001" was not 3-strip). When I attended a 70mm showing of "2001" in 2001, it was thrilling to find that they still had their curved 32 x 70 ft. screen.

Today, however, the Uptown is ignoring their place in history and showing "Ready Player One"... a missed opportunity.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:eek:

25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

They did show it when it was rereleased in 2001. Incredible on that screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.