2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No, only the 203 and 205.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shucks. Guess getting the new 4K disc isn't worth it then.

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I have a 205 but no 4k TV :( This will be one of the first movies I will check out in 4k when I eventually upgrade...

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

If you are referring to me I never completely dismissed anything. There was nothing "rigid" with what I said and others have been accused of the same.

I made it clear that it was my first impression.

The color I stated was an orange like red with backpack still being orange. It could have been true. For reference look at HiGi Guy 008 avatar above??? Does the "backpack is orange" so the rest can't be orange like red fly?

The 70 mm experence I honestly forgot about as I explained.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Since I couldn't see it "unrestored," I decided to "copyright warp" my favorite movie into a two-minute "2001." Let's see if YouTube's copyright seeking software picks up on the Ligeti.

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I went to see the Nolan unrestored version at the Science Museum Imax in London yesterday.

I few things I noticed:

The corridor ain't white. Also if you check the first Blu-Ray edition released, if you look at the scene where Dave and Frank troubleshoot the suspected failing part, you can see in the background its not white either.

The scene with Leonard Rossiter, on this unrestored version its a fade, as-per-normal. I though the story with this 70mm print was that it was the source of the unrestored cinema edition AND this new 4K restoration?

Anyway, while this unrestored edition seems a bit of a pointless exercise (I think if I had the choice I would of liked to have seen it in IMAX without damag), the sound was faultless really, amazing in fact. Some great bass and presence.

This is only the 2nd time I've seen it on the big screen so it was well worth the trip. (1st time was in the 70's after Star Wars when I was about 8). As such I noticed a load of things on the big screen, for example I didn't realise the starchilds eyes move in the final scene.

Love this film. Some of the effects shots are still utterly remarkable, especially the physical ones.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Truth. Irrefutable.

I can now enjoy this masterpiece on "the big screen" any time I want. I'm thankful for the 4K release and I don't take this golden era of home theater for granted.

I doubt there are any members here near WPa with the desire, but I am happy to screen movies. PM me.

budwhite likes this.
  8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Was that corridor red? My memory of the film that I just watched sucks. Age will do that. :D

I watched the Great and Powerful Oz and Wizard of Oz in 3D back to back and there is just no comparison. The real effects are just so much better than the fake ass crap they show today.

the funny thing is how they made the backgrounds 3D on Wizard of Oz (by putting the back grounds in their own layers) and this proves to me that if you have something great to work with, it will even be better.

Not that I really uphold this kind of tinkering, but if the original is still available that is a different story.

I appreciate your input, now I will be watching the Star Child like a hawk!

9. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Just watched the 4K version on my Oppo 203 with 5.1 sound on a 50”4K TV. Definitely a great experience that differs from any other film. From the title at the beginning synced with Zarathustra to the extended Blue Danube post “The End”. There is not another film like it. Not a film you can watch often but when you do watch it, it is as rewarding as the first time. Even the Discovery ship is superior to any space ship in a film today.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

RIP, HAL.

Is it wrong that I want them to play this at the funeral?

11. The Blu-ray is also the same brand new transfer and it looks great.

12. That poor monkey (and frog). I wonder how he feels about the changes to his family tree in the film. Watching the film at that speed made me nauseous.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you referring to a NEW Blu-ray or the previous?

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

For anyone wondering about the fade out that is now a cut, someone missed a printer function.

15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am sorry. What does that mean?

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It means when prints are made, the technician has to do the fade manually.

EDIT: To use an audio example, let's say the tape box of a particular album says "Fade up track 1". This is done on some lacquers but when new ones are needed, another cutter misses those notes and the track starts clean.

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

right but what "fade out that's now a cut" are you referring to?

18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Ok got it. A shame thus was screwed up with frames missing to boot.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Leon Vitale has looked at more transfers of Kubrick’s films than anyone on earth. I would think everything is as it should be.

budwhite likes this.
  21. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

But in the event that there is an error, and this release is the home video standard for the next 5 years (or more), then the studio owes us the option of getting a replacement.

jwoverho likes this.
  23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Very true.

jh901 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.