2002 MTV Music Video Awards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyK, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Yeah, you and me both. Quite a disappointment.

And I agree with everyone about the awful look of the ceremony. I'm also not a big Jimmy Fallon fan. When I want to feel old, I often remember that I'm one of the very few twenty-somethings who thinks Saturday Night Live has been sorry since 1982 or so.

And does anybody else lack the strength and conviction to actually call Axl and his latest bands of cohorts Guns N Roses? I just can't do it!

Ah, well...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

It is also somewhat common among film makers when working with digital video, in order to achieve a more film-like look, they will record in PAL (not NTSC) which lowers the frame rate to 25 fps. Then they will make the image slightly transparent and superimpose it over a black background or canvas. This last step achieves a toning down of the colours.

3. GoldenBoy

They are not Guns N' Roses.:o

4. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I taped the whole thing to watch in fast-forward later, but I did see the beginning with Bruce. How could the "MTV kids" see that and then have any interest in seeing the rest of those fake, lousy "artists".
    I saw that horrid Justin Timberlake song. What's the difference between NSYNC and that? (He still had dancers behind him) Did I miss him grab himself, because everything else was a total Michael Jackson rip-off. And why can't they write a decent hook for these stupid boy-bands? That "song" was less than demo quality. Oh, and the stupid rappers, because Justin is all "hardcore". He's the geekiest little white boy around. Guess he had the join the gang so they wouldn't kick his ass anymore. It all made Milli Vanilli look like the real deal.
    And, apologies to their fans here, but those bands like the White Stripes and the Hives are so fake and perfectly fitting with the MTV thing. I swear that the first two "indepently" released White Stripes album, and then the 3rd one are all a record label plot to bring a "indie" band up from obscurity, and make it seem authentic, as an alternative to the pre-fab bands. It just doesn't wash to me. They seem every bit as "fake" and "MTV" as B2K, BBMAK, BBK Double Whopper with Cheese, etc.

James

5. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Sam,

The video appeared almost "dream-like". Almost like I was on drugs. Very strange.

How about the one woman that came up to accept her award and said: "I am so drunk". Class act.:shake:

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Well, I can resepct your belief, but I'll be honest. I couldn't care less if they are 'independent' or not. It is the music that matters, and I dig The White Stripes' music. They could be at the top of the Billboard charts and working for MCA, Sony, or BMG. If they keep making albums I like, I'm buying.

I mean, half of everything labeled 'independent' nowadays get funding in one way or another from the big folks.

As for being a plot to wear indie clothes and still sell out to the big time, well, it would be hard to deny that The White Stripes and The Strokes and others in their little movement are deliberately creating music that does not fit into any big radio format and therefore will not get massive radio airplay, which hurts sales. I mean, how often do you hear either band on the airwaves here in Tulsa? They're not AC, they're not post-grunge, they don't rap the verses, and they don't spill it out for the dance floors. Not a very smart way to go mainstream...

But the bottom line, to me, is the music. Let the labels claim what they will. :)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

7. GoldenBoy

I might agree with you if it weren't for the fact that The Hives album was actually out in Sweden 2 years prior to being picked up by a Major in North America and then promoted to/by MTV via MTV2. The White Stripes were plucked from relative obscurity and found some popularity through the cool 'lego-motion' video that put them in somewhat regular rotation, again on MTV2. I feel their relative popularity now is more a byproduct of people overdosing on boy bands and teen queens, and the fans of those people coming of age and realizing that they actually suck. Occasionally, quality music does still manage to break through. Now, I am waiting to see/hear the real wave of 'fake' bands copying The White Stripes , The Hives, The Strokes etc. as the record companies really seize the momentum and bludgeon us all to death with sound-alike drivel.

8. GoldenBoy

Well said. I agree totally.

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I felt the same way, actually. I only watched a bit, but for me, that was the strangest aspect of the show. MTV usually uses that format for "flashback" clips, and it felt like the entire thing just wasn't happening...very, very odd, and I hope they don't make this a habit.

-D

10. GoldenBoy

I think I felt just about the same way. It all seemed so, surreal. Like while I was watching it or I was disconnected from reality.

11. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Are you serious? Any idea who it was?

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

When did MJ start playing hockey? I saw the pic of him & Britney with the GOLD shinguards.

Mud-

13. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

AGREE!

So what does it matter that they don't get much radio airplay? This is suppose to legitimize them? They seem to get plenty of MTV airplay.
    Seems like another attempt at presenting kids with the anti-Britney or Nsync (generally anti-pop) stuff. All I got was another indication as to why the music industry is slumping (sales-wise).

I gave that CD a chance mainly because of the "Fell in love. . ." tune. Its toned down and raw sound reminded me of Brit groups like Supergrass and early Kinks. But a complete album built around 1 single tune that's only 2 minutes long?? After a while there is a sameness (in a bad way) that, for me, got old really quick.

I know that it's the toned down rawness that's "cool" about them, but here it only comes through as a gimmick. Give me a break ¿where's the Bass?¿whats up with that drumming? Jack has potential but, to me, this is nothing more than a kids garage band demo of unfinished songs packaged & marketed to "rescue" a market in desperate need of coming up for air; after several years now, of being drowned in sparkly polished mediocrity. If you dig it, thats cool, but I must be getting old. :rolleyes:

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have no problem with the White Stripes. The funny thing about it is that the media (international, national, and the mainstream outlets here in Detroit) talk about them as the leaders in some kind of revival of the Detroit Garage Rock™ scene. The funny thing is, there has been a thriving Detroit Garage Rock scene for decades, and the one that they are so fascinated by now is not really that different than the one that was around when I was in High School in the 80s except the media was focusing all of their adulation and attention towards Athens --> Austin --> Seattle --> whatever the flavor of the month was. This is in no way the fault of the bands from any of these places, but it is nice to know that everyone gets a turn eventually. :)

Regards,

15. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

I think it was Avril Lavigne. But don't quote me.

16. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

It was Pink. Unfortunately Michelle Branch, whose music I rather like, added that she thought she was "drunker than pink"...ok.

17. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

To the industry (and MTV is as much about the industry as Billboard or the labels et al) he's about the most important thing: shifting units!

18. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Er, nope. Read the rest. That was sorta the point of my entire post...

It doesn't legitimize them. But even if they are, quote, "another attempt at presenting kids with the anti-Britney or Nsync (generally anti-pop) stuff," that doesn't render them illegitimate either.

I mean, if folks (including youself) don't like the band, that's cool. To make them sound like they automatically don't matter just because of somebody's market strategy or whatever isn't so cool. It isn't relevant. The music is.

I find it a bit ironic that the beginning of the 'White Stripes are a label creation' discussion occurred after praising Bruce Springsteen as the real deal; as we know Columbia, Time and Newsweek played no role in his mass success whatsoever, and he surely didn't suffer from any silly comparisons with older greats such as Bob Dylan... ;)

It is the music and only the music. Springsteen may be mainstream as hell, but I'm not giving up my Born to Run or The River CDs ever!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

19. Mike

Mike New Member

Comparing the White Stripes to Bruce might be appropriate if the White Stripes are still around in 25-30 years.

If The Strokes, Hives, Vines, White Stripes, etc. are the "new rock" then I choose Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne. At least they have been able to come up with some catchy pop singles.

20. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

There wasn't a quality comparison. They ain't Bruce, and I ain't saying they are. The point was that label affiliations or crass media promotional strategies don't necessarily make someone fake or worthless. Naturally, to make my point, I used an icon who obviously has proven to be anything but fake and who has pretty much universal artistic respect. Choosing another new band hardly would have worked, eh?

So in context, it is completely appropriate. Just don't read more into it than what is there.

And I'll certainly agree about Vanessa Carlton, but I'm afraid I can't on Avril or Ms. Branch. So we agree at least, what, one of six times? Not too shabby...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

21. chrischross

chrischross New Member

I personally like the Hives and the Strokes but it is funny that they are the "new rock" when they seem to be doing their damndest Stooges impression. I just fire up my copy of the Stooges "Fun House" and it just obliterates the "new rock".

Does anyone have either the Rhino box set of this or the new Sundazed LP? Comments?

22. Mike

Mike New Member

Fair enough.

Are you saying that you like A Thousand Miles, but don't like Complicated and Everywhere? I hope you're not thinking that Vanessa is "real" and the other girls aren't, because it's all pre-fab.

23. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

:)

As I said a thousand mile - er - times before, the 'real' vs 'prefab' issue doesn't really amount to a hill of beans with me. I just happen to like Carlton's music, while I don't dig the other two very much. I enjoyed the music from Branch's first album more than her latest stuff, and "Complicated" sounds like just a few steps away from a Faith Hill song to me, and that just ain't my cup of tea.

I do hear Avril is much 'rock'ier in person, but I don't really know. Maybe if I caught her act in person at the Viper Room...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

24. Mike

Mike New Member

It is funny. Actually, I like Hate To Say I Told You So, but last night's performance was so weak. I'm not buying any albums by "The" bands for listening purposes, but I will buy Now Volume 10. :D

25. Mike

Mike New Member

:D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.