2002 MTV Music Video Awards

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyK, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Yeah, I see ya' grinnin' over there!

:)

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

2. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Sorry to say, but you sound exactly like your father. Such is the plight of musical conservatism.

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Makes the Grammies look great in comparison. This WAS a video awards show after all. Music is only a backdrop for the videos.

I think it's difficult to admit that much of the music of today's youth doesn't connect with us older rockers. It's easy for us to talk about some of the great acts of decades ago. The passing of time makes us all clairvoyant about who will be great and have a long career.

I remember that every time my dad called my music crap I respected his opinion about music even less. Let's let the kids enjoy whatever they want to. :)

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right. BTW, I'm a youngster enjoying what I want to enjoy.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

For what it's worth, the White Stripes' first release (stupidly rare now, if things work as usual) was a 3-song EP of Captain Beefheart covers. Granted, one of 'em was "Party of Special Things to Do" from Bluejeans and Moonbeams, but...

-D

6. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Who won that "Battle Of The Bands" again? I'd say it was the Vines, but even they were so crappy that they couldn't even wreck their instruments properly. The Who could, and still sound as good as the record ;) ! It seems like those two were in a contest to see which band could have more "real energy dude" but could sound as less like the record as possible- because playing all sloppy and raw is coool. Again, real rock...Bruce. Professionalism and giving a good performance is not uncool. I bet the "MTV Kids" thought they turned on "VH1 Classics" or something.

It's a real shame that this generation doesn't have much talent. I really, really, really try to put my young "brain" on and try to imagine that I'm a teenager now and this is what my options are, and it's not that I'm old, it's just that it's bad. (I still often feel like a gawky teenager...) I'd be great if The White Stripes could expand on their sound and really create some exciting new sounds and become successful commercially as well- but they just seem so "one note" to me. Wouldn't it be great if there could be another group of hungry young musicians who become huge mega-stars and then go on to create some of the most innovative, ahead-of-its-time music ever, and it still sells!?

James

7. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

that masked man is Buckethead. That's his "thing". Pretty cool huh?:confused:

8. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Actually, it was Pink who said "I'm too drunk for this". Then proceded to ramble on until she left the stage.

9. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Well I like the Strokes, Stripes and Hives but i'm so sick of people (MTV) treating them like they're are the same F'ing band. They sound NOTHING alike. I picked up my sisters new copy of RS and almost puked when I saw the cover. The Return of Rock with the Strokes, White Stripes, Vines, and Hives!!!! Excluding the Vines I like all those bands but it sucks that media is making them into this trend.

10. JWB

JWB New Member

Anymore?

He was always terrible live - at least what I can remember. Always straining and missing words from running around.

At least Mick Jagger "talks" the lyrics when he can't hit a certain note. :angel:

11. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I was pretty young when G n' R was popular so I don't really remember how he sung live. It was still pretty bad though. :)

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I was pretty young When G n' R was popular as well. BTW, I was never a fan of their music.

13. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Well, I was 'younger' when G N' R was big. I was about 15 when Appetite came out. I was a fan, a very big one. I still am a fan. I can attest to the fact that Axl always sounded horrible live, but the VMA show was particular bad; worse than what I can remember.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Okay, I saw the re-run and I will answer my own question. Tommy was there, resplendent in plaid as usual. I'm starting to think that if Dizzy Reed fired Axl and let Tommy sing, they'd have a pretty good rock band. :)

Regards,

15. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Re: 2002 MTV Music Video Awards

I guess that you are correct. I just can't connect with today's music. I'm not offended by the lyrics, and I have no problem with loud music. I just can't connect. :confused:

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Holy smokes!

Even the well-written descriptions on this site didn't prepare me for the real thing.
    I saw the repeat over the weekend and caught some of Axl's performance. God that was terrible! He sounded like a wounded rabbit. And he seemed to hit EVERY note except the right one. I couldn't watch, had to look away.

I was a big fan of Appetite in high school, but wasn't interested in what the band did after that. The bloated and pretentious video productions Illusion albums pretty much turned me right off, along with the overblown Illusion albums themselves.

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.