2010, The Year We Make Contact blu ray now viewing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always loved this, it looked great in the theater, but the VHS was horrible for quality and the DVD was not any better.

This bu ray looks much, much better, the color is more even and balanced, sound is wonderful. Still needs a restoration for sure. Something is wrong overall though, it still really needs a cleanup.

I love the hell out of 2001, it is a stunning movie and it's presentation is jaw dropping. But...the slow and hard to follow pace is too much for average folks, 2010 gives those people a new reason to dig it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GuildX700

3. GuildX700

4. GuildX700

Look out there, tell me what practical is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EdgardV likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nice visuals, pity about the ending.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I don't find 2001 to be slowly paced or hard to follow. I've probably watched it 20 times in my life starting around age 9.

The "too literal" ending of 2010 bugs me, but it's a fun ride up to that point.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think 2010 was a horrible, horrible movie, basically an insult to 2001. Mindless and stupid, and the ending is horrifically bad.

8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

My father took me to see it when i was just a kid. He thought it was Star Wars type movie with laser battles and spaceships. I believe i was 7 years old. We left the theatre during the Stargate sequenqe. I was bored to death, but this strange movie didn't leave my mind alone and within a week i was asking my father to explain the things that happened during the movie. I saw it again when i was a teenager, and ever since i've seen it probably a hundred times. It's my favourite movie of all time. Actually, i watched it a week ago and i suddenly realized why HAL just didn't shut down the life support and kill everybody: Because he wanted to play chess with Bowman.

I quite like it. In my opinion it's one of the better sci-fi movies. But compared to 2001...

GuildX700 and marblesmike like this.
  9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

C'mon, you lifted that mean review from Rex Reed! ;) I really like 2010. It has more dialog than 2001... :p

GuildX700 likes this.
  10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Great movie to look at but not so much to enjoy. It's the poor science that really gets to me, something that Kubrick was ruthless about getting right in 2001. Sometimes we have gravity on the Leonov and sometimes we don't. The presence of gravity is determined more by the needs of the script than anything. And there is that whole outrunning the birth of a star thing at the end. Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

Then there is Roy Schneider's acting. His portrayal of Heywood has the man more snarky than a 16 year old. This is America's premier science administrator? He reminds me more of a used car salesman.

My favorite set piece is the house with the dolphin. I want to live there.

2010 is a good movie to watch with the sound off. The visuals are outstanding as it's one of the last great model movies with no CGI. Thanks for posting the pictures, GuildX700. Those images are the best thing in the movie. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll get round to doing 2061? I've read that a couple of times.

I read 2010 a few months ago and a lot of it is missing from the film. Worth a read.

The one disappointment about 2010 for me was the lack of the centrifuge set. Budget restrictions I guess.

Still got 3001 on my Kindle to read.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Quite a few critics gave 2010 a bad review in the 1980s, and I don't think it made a profit. As Roger Ebert said: "2010 has an ending that is infuriating, not only in its simplicity, but in its inadequacy to fulfill the sense of anticipation, the sense of wonder we felt at the end of 2001." That's pretty much how I felt -- and I worked on the film. Peter Hyams was a nutcase.

13. Rachael Bee

I don't care what critic liked or cursed 2010. I liked it. I wish more of Aurthur Clarke's books would be turned into films. .....like Childhood's End. The CGI to do it is here now.

GuildX700 likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

15. GuildX700

I think some folks are trying to take this movie FAR too seriously.

It's not the epic, grand, second piece to 2001, ok, I get that.

It's a fun, entertaining & visually wonderful flick. I've watched it well over a dozen times and it still stands up for me as good entertainment.

I love it. This on blu ray, some pizza and popcorn, a fun night. That's what it's all about for me.

There are many great scenes/shots, a silly but workable plot, yes some stiff acting on what I would guess was not a huge budget?

When I sit down and watch it I don't want to get up and miss anything other than the heavy breathing scene of John Lithgow when he's out in space going from one ship to the other. That's the only scene I'd change.

16. Rachael Bee

17. GuildX700

I love 2001, it's jaw dropping. But I know literally dozens of folks that when I bring it up have disdain and zero interest in it, for them it is slow, plodding, and hard to follow, and I can understand their viewpoint. It is not a movie for your average viewer, it is more for the intelligent, thinking person who has an appreciation for things that the average person does not.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got paid to see it twice while working on it, and it almost killed me. A terrible, terrible, terrible movie that does not hold up at all almost 30 years later.

19. GuildX700

Perhaps it's your personal involvement in it that makes it harder to appreciate it for what it is? I find it very cool that you were involved with it. I'd love to hear a few stories about it.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not a long story. We had the film just for a few days and knocked out a fast transfer for ad/pub. I only met Hyams briefly but worked with the editor, Jim Mitchell, for two solid days. Even he agreed there's about a dozen things in the movie that made no sense. It's been 30 years, so my memories are vague, but I remember several long days and just being flummoxed by a lot of incongruous stuff, particularly Hyams hanging a much more religious interpretation of the ending than was intended by Arthur C. Clarke.

Deesky and GuildX700 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.