2012 VS 2014 Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Romero, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romero

Romero Forum Resident Thread Starter

hey,

just got the 2012 smashing pumpkins box set. does anyone have 1st hand experience listening and comparing both the 2012 AND 2014 versions?

Dodoz likes this.
  2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

what is the 2014 version? Not familiar with that.

3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I wish the Smashing Pumpkins reissues were more widespread, more popular than they have been. The amount of bonus material was fantastic, and as is known, there is even more material in the vault or that leaked here and there ("In The Arms of Sheep", "Envelope Woman" etc). Sadly, I only own the "Gish" one physically.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Watch theInGroove’s youtube video on this. Mike compares these 2 and the original and does a great job discussing their differences.

Romero and DeRosa like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’ve got this set:

[​IMG]

warewolf95 and aravel like this.
  6. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: I had in my hands that box you got, amazing, but I was able to decide between 4 mortgage payments or this beauty...another marriage saved!

Bought some tracks in iTunes, but I'd love to have later the rest. My old 2cd fat case US version had great quality paper booklets, but along the way I lost the lyrics one...congrats on your purchase!

warewolf95 and Mirror Image like this.
  7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I was floored when i first came across a US version. I wasn't aware of the extra booklet : everything was condensed into one booklet in Europe, and it was only available in a slim case. I've always loved the artwork - having grown up with Genesis and other prog rock albums, the art has always reminded me of that.

aravel likes this.
  8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I bought the older chubby 2-CD set back when this album came out, but stupid me lent the set to a ‘friend’ only to receive back in horrible condition (scratched CDs, scuffed up cubby box and bent booklets). I cussed him out after he handed it back to me and I saw it's condition. I then proceeded to give him a lecture on proper care of CDs. We remained friends, but I NEVER lent anything out to anyone again. Lesson learned. If someone wants something that I own, I burn them copies from my original. I never bothered looking for another original issue, but by this time, I had already started listening to rock music less and less. I found the Mellon Collie deluxe set several years after it was released for about 40% off it’s initial tag price, but the box set arrived a bit damaged and I put in a complaint, which I ended up getting a partial refund, so I believe I ended up paying $45 for in total after all was said and done.

aravel and Dodoz like this.
  9. Romero

Romero Forum Resident Thread Starter

sweet, I love that dudes videos, he gives just the right amount of detailed information and opinion when comparing pressings. gonna go watch that now

astro70 likes this.
  10. aravel

::: Yeah, later releases sold as imports in my country came exactly like you said, had no appeal. The entire art is magnificent, I guess all was suggested and approved by Corgan himself. All SP releases have real cool design from CDs to LPs, hence the prince for recent releases!

Dodoz likes this.
  11. aravel

We all went through that with friends: I remember in college, buying Sony tapes, and always had extra blank ones as every week end all my friends were picking up my collection so my very useful phrase was always applied: "alright, I'll get you a copy on cassette next monday" --I know, we all were "the guy that buys a bunch of cds every weekend"

Mirror Image and zphage like this.
  12. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It was recut with wider run outs to help with IGD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.