2014 AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LavidDange, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident Thread Starter

Aim is to create a list of 2014 vinyl releases that are confirmed AAA.

Sharon Jones - Give the People What They Want

Peter Pyle, nikolas and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

I wonder how anyone here would know? How could you confirm that a record was recorded and mixed all analog, and then mastered all analog with no digital preview delay or other conversions?

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That's it?

No comment about the sound quality of the recording, how well it was mastered, quality of the pressing or vinyl.

Billy Infinity and lukpac like this.
  4. LavidDange

From what I have read, Daptone Records releases all of their vinyl AAA.

You can email the record labels and sometimes get a detailed response about specific records. Tracking down interviews with the artists can also confirm how an album was recorded and mastered.

If you can dispute, please do so. Just trying to compile a list people can reference if they are concerned with AAA quality. If SPARS codes existed anymore, this list wouldn't be needed.

Mr_Vinyl and Tensilversaxes like this.
  5. LavidDange

Any comment about quality is welcomed! Really just trying to create an easy go-to list to reference.

6. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

In a blind test I wouldn't say the most experienced engineer alive would know. I doubt if they'd even know for sure if the whole thing was recorded digitally never mind just using digital delay on a analog recording. No one's ears are that sensitive, to say otherwise is BS.

David Ellis likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

No, not trying to dispute any claims, it's just that most record labels and artists have no idea what might have been done to their recordings along the way, and are usually not very forthcoming. The vinyl production is also rarely done "in house", or it seems even under the label control in many cases.

But I'm not trying to discourage your efforts, it's a good cause, just very hard to confirm.

8. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I'm replying to and agreeing with Davey, not discouraging the OP from making a list, if the OP has a problem with my very fair comment he can say so, unless you're his spokesman?

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Duly noted. Now onward with the list. of course 2014 is all of 4 days old so.....

Tensilversaxes and Davey like this.
  10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Good.I say let the buyer know what he's getting.
    I won't say I can tell all of the time but all analog sounds better to me.

LavidDange likes this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd genuinely be surprised if there are any totally analogue new releases in 2014, why would anybody go to all the extra effort and cost when nobody can tell the difference, very few care and it makes zero difference to sales.

Even if you kept the recording entirely analogues, didn't go near a computer or Pro Tools, recorded everything onto tape then you'd have to make a real effort to find a cutting lathe still using tape delay, there may be a few in the States and even in the UK, but there aren't many left. A friend of mine has a reissue label and keeps everything analogue, he has a premium product so can afford to, but even in the late nineties he found it very difficult to keep the cut analogue.

I've been involved in releasing music originally recorded onto pretty much every format used in the last thirty+ years from 4 track cassette and Mini Disc through to 2" multi-track and everything between, the bottom line is that what matters most is the quality of the music and the engineering, NOT what it was captured on and even a great sounding master can be ruined with bad mastering and pressing.

groovelocked, kwadguy, Quark and 3 others like this.
  12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thought this was a thread about towing vinyl.

13. Scott Wheeler

Actually there is a thread listing all the mastering facilities that can cut a lacquer all analog. This is not a problem. The list was rather lengthy. Especially considering how few facilities there are that cut lacquers at all.

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I know there are some in the States, but other than Abbey Road I can't think of any in the UK or elsewhere in Europe and I do have experience of a few mastering/cutting/pressing facilities, not that we are trying to get an analogue cut, but nobody has ever offered us the option even.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've just remembered that another friend has bought a lathe so he can control all stages of a project he is working on, that will definitely be analogue so that's two I know of.

LavidDange likes this.
  16. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

Anything by Kim Deal is very AAA.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

2014 XXX Vinyl (Parental Advisory Stickered)

All kidding aside, good idea. Don't be afraid to elaborate a bit more in the thread title. Rock on...

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

If you send an analog tape to URP, they charge you an $85 "processing fee". I actually managed to get an engineer to talk to me on the phone about this, and he told me the fee was for the time it took to digitize the tape to a 44.1/16 file before cutting.

To quote my favorite exchange from Deadwood:

Cy Tolliver: Cy Tolliver, Mr. Wolcott, how do you do? And, what do you drink?
    Francis Wolcott: Kentucky bourbon, if you've got it.
    Cy Tolliver: Pour Mr. Wolcott a bourbon, Jack, and tell him it's from Kentucky.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    MultiMan, dustybooks, rxcory and 8 others like this.
  19. tubesNtape

tubesNtape Well-Known Member

I would be content in hearing 12" singles that are cut straight from tape. My guess is there are a higher percentage of singles done AAA than full albums, due to the difficulty/effort alone.

Really wish there could be a legit comeback for reel to reel tape pre-recordings. But this time, transfers done properly...not at high speed.

Takes less talent to get it right and the results are almost always better. I know this is a pipe dream, but after seeing a vinyl resurgence after nearly two decades of inactivity, anything is possible!

LavidDange likes this.
  20. Scott Wheeler

I'm thinking that if I were someone who was looking to cut an all analog lacquer from an analog master tape they would not be on my short list.

dobyblue and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  21. LavidDange

Does she have a 2014 release in the works?

22. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Jack White said that he just recorded a new album, most definitely AAA. Great thread, i would really like if someone could create a website with a database of recordings and what techniques were used. Won't necessarily attract tons of people, but it would be a great source of trivia.

LavidDange likes this.
  23. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

According to Michael Fremer, Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill was AAA, so hopefully any new releases by him this year (and beyond) would follow that trend.

peelaaa and LavidDange like this.
  24. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Great thread idea!! I for one feel AAA vinyl has great sonic potential and would love to know which releases fit that bill. It would also be helpful if people could cite their sources when labeling an album AAA.

LavidDange likes this.
  25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Peter Buck's vinyl only release 'I Am Back To Blow Your Mind Once Again' is being advertised as ''recorded the old fashioned way, recorded to tape and cut to disk''!

JG

LavidDange likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.