2014 Music Direct catalog shows new titles coming from MFSL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Agree about the previous SACD, but the Platinum-SHM mastering is wonderful. Doubt it can be improved.

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Yes we do. I'm a young music fan, I didn't get the chance to buy the old mofi CD. I also don't want the box, I just want the original album on SACD.

3. Yes Keith, the U.S. JVC uses a different mastering than the earlier Denon discs. I can't recall if there is an early CSR pressing. The U.S. JVC will have the laser style matrix font, and the "Tetris" style blocks in the inner mirror band matrix.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Chicago Transit Authority would probably be amazing. Original copies can sound great but I have yet to find a really clean, quiet one. American Beauty and Working Man's Dead will be almost impossible for me to resist. Pencil me in for Bill Whither's Greatest Hits too if they make it.

5. GRC

GRC Senior Member

I agree - while not a great Chicago fan after Chicago Transit Authority debut (one of those people) I would love to have CTA on a SACD given all that instrumentation - could be something real special. Someday maybe.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

A good time if you really like the album. I agree that the Platinum SHM-CD is excellent. We will also have the box set in hi-rez Blu-Ray soon. We may even see the MFSL and Analogue Productions SACDs at some point. Seeing as UMe will be releasing the Blu-Ray box set, I wonder if they will actually grant either SACD release.

7. KeithH

Thanks, Scott. I have Japanese Denon and JVC pressings of Rock 'N Soul Part 1, but I haven't determined if they have the same mastering.

I'm pretty sure I have a U.S. JVC pressing, but I'll have to confirm it. It probably would have been my first version. Then I bought the Japan-for-U.S. pressings, a couple early Japanese issues, and the remaster. None of them sound bad to me, but I've never compared them directly.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

9. evad

evad Well-Known Member

This was mentioned last year in this thread.

Separate thread here - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-and-santana-abraxas-sacd-coming-soon.336134/

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, thanks for the link. I wonder if there are some other titles MFSL will re-release as well.

11. KeithH

The way things are going, I wonder if we will have a thread next year titled "2015 Music Direct catalog shows no titles coming from MFSL". :sigh:

Ed Hughes likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Keith, what new MFSL titles actually have a release date attached to it?

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Don't forget about Frank Sinatra's "Songs for Swingin' Lovers".

Bob F likes this.
  14. KeithH

None that I know of. MFSL generally lists availability as TBD until a title is ready to ship.

15. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Just picked up MoFI Miles Davis Bitches Brew on Vinyl. Sounds nice, open and transparent.

16. I treated myself to Blonde on Blonde on MOFI vinyl. Wow, just wow. I can't imagine being alive in the 60's and having Dylan release album after album every year. Mindblowing.

Terry likes this.
  17. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

any news? KOB, Love, more Dylan releases....:(

18. evad

evad Well-Known Member

It seems like MFSL has been very quiet lately. I hope all is well.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Huh? Bitches Brew just came out.

20. KeithH

They have been quiet, especially with SACDs.

21. KeithH

MFSL just announced New Morning on vinyl and SACD. There is a thread running on these impending releases.

22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I guess I don't know what quiet means. They've released a bunch of titles so far this year and done second pressings of a bunch more to bring them back in stock. There's no reason to speculate that they're not healthy, which is where the post I responded to above was going.

rob303 likes this.
  23. The dead of summer is not a particularly active period for any music label.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well AP promised over a dozen Beach Boys titles on SACD and we have none. That, in addition to Mofi being Mofi, makes for a disappointing stretch. AF is simply too small, I guess, to take on catalog projects. It is nice to have a few definitively mastered titles here and there on SHM-SACD and PLAT, but I didn't see them becoming our only hope. Plus, $35-40+ each is so steep.

25. KeithH

I said nothing about their health. All I said is that they have been quiet. I have pre-ordered just about every MFSL SACD announced since 2011 from Music Direct, which is of course the first to ship MFSL SACDs. Few have come my way this year. Thus, they have been quiet. Quiet also means that they rarely if ever announce a release date for a title until it is actually shipping. So, there has been little coming from MFSL lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.