2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

never thought of it that way. you completely changed my mind. who is to say who is better, the Sex Pistols or John Lennon? Each has their own audience. i hate the HOF even more now.

2. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

John Lennon

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I don't know. "Can't Stop it But I'm Gonna Try," "Stop This Game," "Baby Loves to Rock," "High Priest of Rhythmic Noise," "World's Greatest Lover..." all really strong stuff to me. It's definitely different than the other albums that came before. But in a way... the Martin/Emerick team was sort of known for producing different albums from the last for the Beatles... so why not for Cheap Trick too? I think it works really well (but also works in a different direction than what came before).

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Nothing like taking the fun out of music like an R&R Hall of Fame thread! :righton:

5. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Indeed. I mean, he said this earlier in the interview, too.

"Did you ever imagine that you'd stand on the same stage as Kiss?"

"They're a good looking group, I must admit. I'm not sure that I can compete."

Sounds about an innocuous as innocuous can get.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Mom! I thought I asked you to not post when you're drunk!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Phew, thanks for letting us know. I can now sleep at night.

8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel said the same thing.

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Genesis is already in.

10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's not like the bar is that high. The selection process is corrupted (critical darlings, Atlantic Records artists, personal friends of Jann Wenner.) This whole Cheap Trick business seemed rather arbitrary, because somebody belongs to a Facebook group dedicated to their enshrinement. Having said that, my earlier link in this thread is to Not in the Hall, and states the case for about 100 artists not inducted (a few of them are current inductees - Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens). The writer(s) tried to be unbiase, as it's doubtful that he/she/they actually was a fan of every one of those artists.

In terms of precendents, some enshrined artists can be legitimate benchmarks for those not nominated. If Blondie got in easily during the early days, why then don't The Cars or Pat Benatar make to committee?

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fair enough. All I ever attempted to do was clarify that Nirvana IS eligible! :)

And I'm glad you like my Oat avatar! :righton:

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't personally like Nirvana, but, regardless of that personal opinion, can step back and acknowledge that the impact they made on rock music, for better or for worse, makes them a slam-dunk first ballot inductee.

tkl7 and PHILLYQ like this.
  15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Bon Jovi are another band I'm not real fond of, but if "fame" is part of the criterion, how do you keep them out?

16. Oatsdad

I'm surprised Bon Jovi hasn't made it yet, too. They seem to merit induction via the Tom Petty/Aerosmith Rule: bands who never really innovated or set the world on fire but who managed to be very, very successful over a very, very long period of time...

17. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Hey, Kix are REALLY good!!!!!

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't know about "setting the world on fire," but Tom Petty, Aerosmith, and Bon Jovi all had career peaks of huge popularity, and, really, each artist had more than one such peak, when you stop and think about it: Tom Petty arguably had three.

19. Oatsdad

I guess I just never thought of any of them as being more than really successful journeymen bands.

Actually, Bon Jovi's the only one who I thought was ever super-big at one period - "Slippery" was a huge hit and the only non-hits album of these three to earn RIAA Diamond certification.

I still think Aerosmith and Petty got in due to steady success over a long period, though - and if Bon Jovi get in, I think it'll be for the same reason... :shrug:

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Petty was arguably the hottest rock artist in the U.S.A. in 1979/80 with "Damn the Torpedoes," then again circa 1989 with Full Moon Fever, and again in 1994 with Wildflowers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.