2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

The Replacements will get it. After all, they were signed to Sire. And, there hasn't been a Sire act that didn't get in on first nomination.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

fan or no fan is irrelevant here.

and i am neither a nirvana fan, nor a nirvana hater. i bought 'nevermind' twice, and returned it both times. i still have 'ten', but i do not consider myself a true pearl jam fan either.

i have been listening and buying music for over 50 years, and i truly believe that death brings notoriety and fame, whether warranted or not. some people that die become legends (hendrix, morrison, cobain) some do not (bob hite, keith relf,) i don't know why. morrison recorded less than 3 hours of studio music.

but i an say with confidence, that id kurt cobain didn't die, nirvana, nor cobain, would be looked at the same way.

and, FYI, i was working in a CD shop in '91, "ten' outsold "nevermind" in our store 3 to 1.

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I would guess it will be... Kiss/Chic/Hall & Oates/Linda/Nirvana. Maybe Peter Gabriel sneaks in there instead.

The list of inductees is such a goof/mess at this point though... it hardly matters.

4. KISS is in the lead so far :D

5. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

WRONG! Yeah, Ten came out a month before Nevermind, but Pearl Jam was regarded as a joke in the underground scene before Nirvana blew the grunge scene wide open. Obviously you weren't there and your blind love for Pearl Jam is getting in the way of the facts. Pearl Jam was an OPENER for Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a whole tour. An opener that no one gave two ****s about.

NEVERMIND WAS NIRVANA'S SECOND ALBUM!!! Are you for real??!?!?

Another completely false statement. Nirvana were huge while Kurt was alive. They completely changed the way record companies looked towards fanzines, independent labels, and underground bands. Again, obviously, you weren't there.

It's ok to like Pearl Jam more than Nirvana, but don't let facts get in the way of your blind devotion to a band that was considered a major label trash when they first came out.

vinylphile likes this.
  6. paste

paste Forum Resident

Nirvana's second album was Nevermind. Even though it came out a month after Ten, Nirvana was a hit pretty much right out of the box and was on the Billboard charts 12 weeks before Ten showed up.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, it shouldn't be about "talent", however one wants to define that. It's a Hall of Fame - if you're super-talented but unsuccessful and uninfluential, you shouldn't be there...

8. Also, most of the voters are "of a certain age", and will remember the band fondly from their school days or as "the last gasp of real rock 'n' roll in the '80s".

9. Oatsdad

You hate the idea of the place because you don't think ONE BAND will be inducted? :confused:

10. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Purple and the Replacements.

Missing in action are the MC5, Love, the New York Dolls, Television etc. etc.

11. Oatsdad

Pearl Jam won't be eligible for another two years. Nirvana debuted in 1989 - PJ didn't debut until 1991. Acts gotta wait 25 years from their first release to be inducted.

PJ will be a first-ballot inductee two years from now - there's a zero percent chance they don't get in as soon as they're eligible...

12. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I voted for Nirvana, The Replacements, KISS, Deep Purple and Yes. I'm not a KISS fan at all, but this is the hall of fame, not the hall of greatness, and who's more famous on that list than KISS?

13. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Will mYke luHv be nominated for Speaker of the Hall?:yikes:

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Not to speak for him, but I'm assuming he means Deep Purple and other bands like them that have been excluded due to the evil influence of Jan Wenner (i.e. prog). In fairness, there are sometimes some weird exclusions. I don't like Kiss myself, but I see no reason why one of the most famous, popular bands of the late 70's that has managed to maintain a strong following shouldn't get inducted. I do like the Monkees and fail to understand their exclusion, apart from the old "fake band" argument that we get from the authenticity police. So clearly the Hall does have some blind spots, but they can be worn down over time, as we saw in the case of Rush.

15. Teek

Teek Forum Resident

My avatar is surprised (and oddly comforted) by the lack of love for The Replacements in this thread.

TheiPodAvenger likes this.
  16. moonlightdrive21

moonlightdrive21 Forum Resident

If entry into the Hall of Fame is heavily based on the songs, musical performances and musical talent, I don' think Kiss should get in. I don't think entertaining kids and putting on a fun "show" with cool imagery is enough. Most of their music was mediocore or crappy with just a small handful of good songs. Plus the singer, Paul Stanley, kinda stinks.

Kiss did influence some of the bad hair bands of the 80's, but I don't know if that helps them get in or is even more reason to keep em' out. :D

I hope the judges are not pressured into letting Kiss in. Kiss are no "Rush" !!

Just having some fun debate here. :whistle::nyah:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Voted for Nirvana, Peter Gabriel and Yes.

How come Procol Harum got dropped from the ballot this year? Argh!

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

You never miss an opportunity, do you?

19. moonlightdrive21

moonlightdrive21 Forum Resident

I'm a Nrivana fan and have all of their albums and a few concert videos and even a few bootlegs. But I have to say, they are overrated. The best stuff from Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses and the Smashing Pumpkins are a lot more impressive to me.

What Nirvana did do with the song and video for "Teen Spirt" was open the door more to grunge, which was already starting to happen with other bands. They definitely helped blow it wide open.

I think Nirvana should get in.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Magicman74 likes this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

Yeah, ok, I'll take a bite out of this troll too. :)

KISS influenced a whole lot more than just "bad hair" bands from the 80s. They influenced basically every rock band from 1977 onwards. And the influence goes much further than just music. KISS was a pop culture phenomenon. I guess you had to be there.

By the way, KISS taught Rush everything they knew about the road, business, and how to treat other bands when Rush opened for KISS on a couple tours in the '70s.

21. nodeerforamonth

Another thing about Nirvana vs Pearl Jam (way to open up a 20 year debate guys).

How many bands have had their demos for their breakthrough albums bootlegged before they were released? Nirvana's Nevermind demos were widely bootlegged on vinyl before it was released.

Almost every single Nirvana show was recorded on audio or video from 1988-1994. Did anyone record any Pearl Jam shows from their early days? Don't think there was any interest.

How many bands played the riff to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" while onstage in between songs? In 1992, it seemed like every band was doing this. I don't recall anyone ever playing the riffs to "Alive" during that time period (besides Pearl Jam who were opening shows for the Lunachicks)

Chris M likes this.
  22. I think Nirvana should make the cut. I like Nevermind but not a huge fan. I call them right place-right time band.
    They really didn't do anything that wasn't already being done. They just got noticed. Much better bands from the same time.
    Alice in Chains(Facelift)-STP (Core)-Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger)-Smashing Pumpkins (Gish)-Pearl Jam (Ten) No debate, Ten's better imo

23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

YES most definitely, they should have been in there a long time ago.

Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, The Meters. Those 4 are really the only ones I give a crap about.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Kiss's nomination should be making this website crash. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Nirvana and The Meters get in before them.

25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I hate when my favorite artists get into the RnR HOF. It's just not very RnR.

dartira and vjf1968 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.