2014 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees (Nirvana, Kiss, Deep Purple, Yes, Zombies, Linda Ronstadt...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Damn - you beat me to those comments! :D

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The second you present a theme / story / image, you're no longer neutral.

And I'm not sure what ranking of acts there is other than the "In the RRHOF" / "Out of the RRHOF."

The Ramones are in the RRHOF just as much as the Beatles are in the RRHOF, even though the majority of members of this forum would rank the Beatles ahead of the Ramones. A huge portion of the discussion of this forum, and other music forums like it, is based around the ranking of the relative merits of various artists, it's part of the discourse that surrounds all arts and human endeavours, not just music, there is a Baseball Hall of Fame, a consensus about who the great film directors are, rankings of the best restaurants in the country, etc.

Because some artists you rank highly have been left out of the RRHOF, your attitude is "I'm going to take my ball and go home," or "There shouldn't be an RRHOF at all," or "The RRHOF will be obsolete in the future," or, now, "The RRHOF should be like youth sports, where everyone gets equal attention and everyone is a winner, so that no one's feelings get hurt."

3. Oatsdad

And I would agree. Many people hate to admit it, but Run-DMC "rocked" way way way harder than many other inductees.

If someone can explain to me how this isn't essentially a "rock song", I'd like to know - and it's not even their hardest rocking song!

4. Whatever their overall merits, I support keeping them out based on "Private Eyes" and "Maneater" alone. Gaah!

5. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

A guess on your part and I completely disagree. The same era also saw the deaths of Alice in Chains and Blind Melon's vocalists yet their legends have not grown in the same way - and I say that as a huge fan of Layne Staley. I think you're blowing a whole lot of hot air with this one. Nirvana was a transformative, genre-defining band and Cobain an iconic figure well before his death. Pearl Jam have long outlived them and likely will be in the HOF one day but didnt have near the impact IMO.

6. Oatsdad

There is none, just the same as other HOFs - the Baseball HOF doesn't say "Babe Ruth was better than Jim Rice" or whatever. Once you're a member, you're "equal" to everyone else...

7. Oatsdad

Oh, boo on you! Those are good songs - and the "Private Eyes" album is top-notch.

You're just another Canadian mad that Bryan Adams and Anne Murray weren't nominated! :wantsome:

JDeanB likes this.
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It's such a rock song, in fact, that you can even "play" the guitar part on the Rock Band video game!

9. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Still no Chipmunks... :mad:

That's one thing that Hall gets wrong. :winkgrin:

JulesDassin and Tex_Writer like this.
  10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That was my point, yes: the only ranking is that you're either "in" or "out": once you're in, you're in. Of course, that doesn't stop people from debating whether Elvis was "the King" of rock and roll, or whether the Beatles, the Stones, or Led Zeppelin or whoever were the greatest rock band of all time: fans of an art form or musical genre naturally have those debates, no matter how abhorrent it may be to James, who apparently believes we should just have a neutral history lesson that doesn't privilege any one artist over any other artist.

11. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Oh, no sir. Headquarters and Pisces Aquarius are fantastic records. It doesn't matter if they didn't play on the majority of the stuff. They played on part of it, and on the stuff they didn't play on, it's great work by topnotch songwriters and session musicians. The final product is what is to be judged, and the Monkees had a stellar output for such a short period of time that deserves critical reappraisal. As far as 60's pop is concerned, the Monkees were only bested by a few.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Do they have a limit to the number of nominations each year?

Here are those who are likely to get in:

1.) Nirvana - definitely, with Nevermind high up on "Best Albums of All Time" types of lists, Cobain having achieved iconic status (dying young impresses the selection committee)
    2.) NWA - Public Enemy paved the way, token rappers
    3.) Hall & Oates - top selling duo of all time, commmittee likes white people performing black music, Live From Daryl's House revives interest
    4.) Deep Purple - figuring that they were close last year, "Smoke on the Water" is the first 3 chords every young guitarist learns
    5.) Chic - immense influence past disco era, honors 2 deceased members (Bernard & Tony)
    6.) Kiss - they need to sell tickets to the dinner, have plenty of memorabilia to donate to the museum

Peter Gabriel didn't attend for Genesis induction. That would've ruffled some feathers. Somebody else mentioned Linda Ronstandt wouldn't attend, if inducted. As petty as it sounds, that's how they operate. Both of these nominations are totally deserving, btw. Yes is nonimated as a tease. Zombies probably should be in, based on inductions of some contemporaries. The Meters aren't well known enough, but can see them making in eventually. Cat Stevens is Muslim, so he's probably under watch from NSA. Butterfield Blues Band played at Woodstock (looks good to voters) but will have to wait. Who's Link Way?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    JulesDassin likes this.
  13. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

I guess my issue is that I see them more as popularizers rather than innovators; there certainly had been "blue-eyed soul" practitioners for many years before they showed up (and indeed the term itself had been floating around for quite a while at that point, IIRC), but it is fair to say they really did strike a chord commercially with their admittedly palatable sound.

Of course, using commercial success as a benchmark for anything around here is always a tricky endeavor (many cite it to support an argument and downplay it to reject one), so whether they stand on their merits will be for history to judge, I guess.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If we're gonna throw out artists who employed session musicans, let's start by throwing out the Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas, and pretty much every single Motown act (Supremes, Temptations, all of them).

setalpgninnpsekil likes this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Great. Then, they can get a casual mention in the next Novelty Acts exhibition.

16. vinylphile

You are correct, it was me who said it. And it is my opinion. But it's also borne out by popularity, record sales, "best album" lists and RRHOF nominations.

17. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Yes, but IMO they deserve inclusion based on the Abandoned Luncheonette album, Oates' mustache and the Jingle Bell Rock video. So there :winkgrin:

Dudley Morris and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  18. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I'm 100% for Monkees inclusion, particularly based on the above criteria.

High selling, extremely popular, influential, they've got it all. It's not a question of why they shouldn't be included, it's why aren't they already.

Groggy and setalpgninnpsekil like this.
  19. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

It's all opinion of course, but I'd much rather listen to Cheap Trick than Nirvana.

20. vinylphile

That's fine...but I don't think there's any question who is more deserving of HOF induction.

21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

:love: :love: :love: :love:

22. OK, I guess the "Jingle Bell Rock" and previously-mentioned "She's Gone" videos cancel out those two songs I still can't stand, so I am officially neutral on their induction now.

Confidential to Oatsdad: You may mock the majesty of Bryan Adams, but just you wait, he's got something in the works...something that'll fix you Yankee doubters good. :evil:

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Yeah, Nirvana is closer to Madonna than Cheap Trick is. :p

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Besides their commercial achievements, I think Hall & Oates belong on artistic merit. Robert Fripp, who collaborated with Hall on the Sacred Songs album, compared Hall to David Bowie as an artist, but even the less self-consciously arty "regular" Hall & Oates albums are tremendously well crafted.

25. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

No question at all, the Pixies.

misterdecibel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.